It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Soldier might get Court Martial for being a Christian.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I am not a religious person but after reading this. The U.S. is getting crazy. I would imagine over half the military is of some faith. Are they going to go after all religions now?

www.breitbart.com...

+10 more 
posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by skorpius

It's not for being a Christian, it's for religious proselytization, which is NOT permitted. Do you think Christians should have special rights to proselytize? How about other religions? Should Muslim soldiers be permitted to push their religion?

Especially in the military, there are rules that must be followed.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
-Sensationalized and incorrect.

But what real "Christian" is in the Military anyhow? Jesus was the most non militant and peace preaching dude ever. The Jehovah Witnesses and Amish have it right about Military Service concerning their faith (not that I believe either way)

Anyhow, when I was in the Military I never saw "Christians" persecuted against and they were the "dominant" faith by far. Chaplins (Christian Chaplin's) came in and talked to new recruits during basic, Church service was there every Sunday and Gidion gave everyone Bibles.

I (in fact) never was bombarded with so much talk of 'God' in my life. As an agnostic who studied religion I was rather amused at the attitude about "killing" and other activities which were expressed by "Christians".

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I do not think it is any business of the Government to tell anybody what religion they can believe in. If a person is receptive of another's faith then that is between the two people.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Its talking about people converting others to their faith, not practicing faith.

I'm surprised the biased source actually mentioned that.

And a new article with a sentence starting with "So....."? Um ok.
edit on 5/2/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Why shouldn't proselytizing be a freedom enjoyed by all? As long as the usual rules of good manners are followed?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

OK.... Sharia laws are good? lets debate converting the country to sharia law?

This is not the middle ages. Converting someone's religious belief is actually is preying on their weakness.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Just another typical twisting of the truth by Breitbart.com, who IMO are about as reliable as Alex Jones, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh when it comes to promoting truth.

I don't see anyone getting a court martial for "Being" a Christian, you just made that up! But then, stupid is as stupid does.

Trolling, anyone?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by skorpius
I do not think it is any business of the Government to tell anybody what religion they can believe in.

Agree 100%. But this isn't about BELIEVING, it's about "witnessing" or pushing one's religion on other people. Speaking as someone who has experienced both, religious harassment and sexual harassment make me very uncomfortable in the workplace and shouldn't be permitted, IMO.

If a person is receptive of another's faith then that is between the two people.

If this were about a private discussion between two people, there would never have been a complaint.

I am a firm supporter of the first amendment and the freedom for one to practice their religion, but when it comes to proselytizing, I have no patience, whatsoever. If I wanted religion in my life, I'd have it. Practice your religion all you want, but don't harass me with it.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

During one tour in Iraq, I was in support of a National Guard unit from Tennessee. They were passing out Arabic bibles and rosaries all over the place while on patrol.

They turned what was once a peaceful region into a tinderbox.

They were told THREE times to stop doing that particular practice. After the third time I caught them doing this, and a argument with the unit chaplain, I alerted my command who pushed it up the chain. All the way to CENTCOM.

That was a fun BUB (Battle Update Brief) to sit in on.

The chaplain defended himself by saying he was subservient to a higher power then his command. I have no problem with that line of thinking, but that line of thinking was also getting people killed and gravely injured. He was also sent home.

The bad news to this story, since I was the one who alerted the command, it fell to me to confiscate all unattached bibles in the chapel (the ones they were passing out) and burn them. I didn’t enjoy that task, but it needed to be done.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Proselytize has never been allowed in the military no matter what faith you have it falls under the no central religion clause in the constitution. That has been the rules for years and if these people didn't want to follow the rules then they never should have signed up. But then again it's FOX and Breitbart so you can count on the facts being twisted as usual.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Why shouldn't proselytizing be a freedom enjoyed by all? As long as the usual rules of good manners are followed?

The problem is, that some may not want to hear about your god. (he who has an ear, let him hear means preach to those who are WILLING to listen)

But that's not acceptable in the military, you aren't in the military to push your religion, you are in the military to kill human beings. (which is why christians joining the military has always been baffling to me)

edit on 2-5-2013 by HauntWok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I think the OP's title of this thread is misleading. If this person were Muslim or Wiccan or any other religion people would be enraged that they were allowed to proselytize. Fact of the matter is that its an issue of separation of church and state. He can believe whatever he wants on his own time, it has no place in the military which ALL our taxes pay for. I don't care what religion he is, if my taxes are paying for his time and training he just needs to keep it to himself. What he does on his own free time is his business.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Did you see who i responded to?

and what was the reply for?

I guess you want people shoving religion down others throat?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Originally posted by Cinrad
Why shouldn't proselytizing be a freedom enjoyed by all?

Because it's not "enjoyed by all". I hate it. And clearly, I'm not alone. I support your right to believe in whatever you believe in, but don't try to convince me to join your bandwagon. I'm NOT interested and it's very uncomfortable. VERY few experiences I've had are made by people who exercised "good manners".

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

The Pentagon has released a statement confirming that soldiers could be prosecuted for promoting their faith

from the link in the OP
While the army uses Christian religious programming to psych soldiers up againt Muslims it is something they
( the army ) uses and controls...like they did during the crusades
Maintaining there is a higher authority OUTSIDE the chain of military command is most certainly a NONO

Say, where is that thread about the early christians creating the fake persecution of christians?
..it was on the front page recently
oh well, "though shalt not lie"
( no offence OP ) I am refering the the fake persecution of christians as it is self proclaimed..

haha
then there obama's repealling of the prohibition against sex with animals in the baraks
ewe.....( shudder )
edit on 2-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

I understand the importance of keeping your beliefs to yourself, but should it really be a punishable crime? hell no.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I read the article and did not think that he was sensationalizing it at all. Christians must try to save souls, its not negotiable with their faith, they don't however need to be pushy and should back off when someone says no thanks. This will go further than that though and you all know it. For spite anyone can say that they were having Christianity pushed on them, even if all that was said was "are you interested in opening your heart to Jesus". It'll be like sexual harassement in the workplace and will end up getting innocent people persecuted.

The Christians have long been war fighters, they fight/fought for their god they were/are in fact Knights of Christ. Look up the crusades if you have doubts. Isn't good suppossed to fight evil?

Christians I fear for you all in the coming years. It will only get worse from here on out. Because our society would rather live in a cesspool of filth. We gave up our morals as a society for more tv and our iphones, our fancy cars and our sex, our glamorizing of serial killers to the point that way too many people now think serial killers are sexy, and fun loving. This demoralizing agenda sure did work to a T didn't it? It will be the death of too many people.

I'm sorry for you Christians, your prophecies seem to be coming true.

edit on 2-5-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Oops, my mistake. I'll correct the error.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Originally posted by smithjustinb
I understand the importance of keeping your beliefs to yourself, but should it really be a punishable crime? hell no.

To proselytize is to "induce someone to convert" or to recruit someone. Saying "I'm a Christian" is not proselytizing. One doesn't have to keep their beliefs to themselves. They just cannot try to convert or recruit someone else to their religion.

m/w proselytize

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join