It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Replacement for gunpowder.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Excellant answer,you mirrored my thoughts.And a previous post regarded the liquid possibly fouling up the primer.Sure,some one could jerry rig a homemade device like he wants,but I'd be very leery of it.Making a barrel,or modifying an old one could be tricky,and the attachments for the adapter are iffy at best.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I love reloading ..but I'll be the first to say, it's a hobby of precision and exacting tolerances.

Amen to that. I grew up watching my grandpa loading his custom shotgun shells, which may appear relatively crude
compared to handguns and stuff, but he was a famous hunter and practiced this as a science (essentially building a better round). I still remember the care he took to measure stuff, and how he looked like a lab technician in his glasses.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Been an average joe I would rather use liquid as an explosive "molotove cocktail" of some sort
But I would at least download an print a few useful book
How to make knots
How to make traps
How to hunt
How to fish
Simple building methods and how to make tools
Or DIY gunpowder corruptcode.org...

Might come useful

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Well first off,don't waste your powder by sticking a wick in the can and tossing it! All you'll do is make a flash and some smoke. I realize you were joking,of course, but some people don't realize how smokeless powder works and whats required to make use of its potential energy.
As fr as making it, I don't know that it would be easily done by an average person with the resources they might be expected to have or be able to aquire. I've never seen it done anyway. Blackpowder can be done,although it is far more complicated than simply mixing the compnents and expecting commercial grade performance. Also, even if you do make good black powder,it really isn't suited to many of the cartridges commonly in use today. It tends to work best in larger capacity straight wall cases,like the 45-70 and the like. Not that it can't work to some degree in others,but if I was going to use it I would probably stick to loading it in my .44 and .375 Winchester,with heavy for calibre cast lead bullets. I don't think you'd have much luck loading it in something like a 9mm,although that thought does make me curious. Of course something like the old .45 "long" colt was originally loaded with BP,so there's a viable option. Revolvers would be the way to go,as I imagine an auto would quickly foul and cease to function.
So,in short,I think we are kind of stuck with using modern smokeless powder,or it's back to BP and old school firearms.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
would it be possible to use tannerite?, by measuring how much tannerite is as powerful as black powder?

i have searched it online, people say tannerite is more of a explosive than a propellant, im no chemist so i dont see how it would matter... pherhaps mixing it with aluminum powder would work?

i might try using tannerite in a bullet someday, but there is no way i would throw the bullet in a gun, seems like playing russian roulette with my fingers.. ill try to find a way to fire the bullet without being near it and if it works ill let you guys know...but it wont be for a while

maybey someone can enlighten me with my question so i dont have to try it?

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxclaro
As fr as making it, I don't know that it would be easily done by an average person with the resources they might be expected to have or be able to aquire.

Oh, you can DO it, but it's not charcoal, sulfur and saltpetre.

Doing it repeatably so you could be both safe and accurate in terms of making rounds with it would be sort of interesting. Getting a uniform grain size would be a trial, and uniformly coating the smokeless powder with a very even coat of graphite is a trick too.

But just making the basic goo is easy peasy. In fact, if you want to make a significant home made explosive that you can toss together out of locally available stuff, the precursor to smokeless powder can't be beat for bang and speed of production. It's only good for breaching or heaving charges because the brisance isn't high. But a lot of times a heaving charge is what you want - the pressure cooker bombs were very crude examples. You could have done a lot better job than that. Which goes to point out that these guys weren't brainiacs.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxclaro
Of course something like the old .45 "long" colt was originally loaded with BP,so there's a viable option

I think the .444 Marlin was BP as well. It's a nice round.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The 45-70 was loaded with BP,the .444 has always been a smokeless cartridge but it should work pretty decent with black powder or one of the substitutes. I might give it a try, could be interesting with cast bullets.Won't give the power of modern loads,but I'm sure a good 250gr bullet should be able to be pushed fast enough to make it effective.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
DARN###%%%&&&&@@@!!!!!
I completely forgot about guncotton! Nitric acid,sulphuric acid,and cotton...makes a nice boom,but your on your own as to how much

top topics

<< 1   >>

join