It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Dew ad pulled as it is labeled as racist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Terrible ad for a soft drink. The "image" of the soft drink is poorly represented with such a negative script. Whatever ad agency designed this ad, I would drop it like a hot potato. If you want someone to drink your soda, you want them to get an enjoyable feeling about drinking it.

Whether it was raciest or not, it was a bad ad altogether. Nothing is lost by taking it off the air.
edit on 1-5-2013 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoosM
Would like your opinion on this ad that is causing a stir as being racist:

yanked ad

Pepsi has stopped this ad from showing.
Im just wondering, while they were coming up with the idea and filming it, didn't anybody
raise any red flags prior to releasing it to the public?

What actually is the message of this ad anyway?
Blacks and goats beat up on poor blonde white women?
How is this commercial remotely related to a soft drink?

To call it racist must mean there is a purposeful agenda behind it.
Which, at this moment, there is no proof of.

Well, the line up has the sterotypical gangbanger and the goat supposedly has the same time of persona. Saying the term "snitches get stitches" etc, which has been popularized by street gangs & thugs, etc.

So....

If you want that character to disappear from media whether it be movies, commercials, books, etc.

Then...

You ought to eliminate it in real life. And by that, I mean, black people ought to not be part of those groups anymore. Simple as that. No different than the media creating a "White skin head" character. Which happens time to time.

White people tend to ostracize their own that act like dumbass racist skinheads, so if the black community doesn't condemn their youth from trying to be famous gangbangers, then, I don't know what to say.

Not trying to be racist about it, just pointing out hard truths.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Racist. "These 5 blacks are not smart enough to think for themselves." You, are a damn racist. Like many people here.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosegaol

You truly have a great future with (MS)NBC since you are good at taking things out of context and cutting, editing and keeping only the points you wish to make.

Shame on you, brah.
edit on 1-5-2013 by Alxandro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

How can it be racist?

Tyler the Creator is black, and funny.
I'm assuming the easily offended crowd got offended because it was comically accurate.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Apparently the Pepsi company not only offends blacks but also gays.
Glad I don't drink that garbage.

edit on 5/1/13 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Ha! You just called me brah. That is hilarious. Yep, it was out of context, but the sentiment and wording is there.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
its a pretty funny ad. its copying a scene from the movie "set it off". knowing Tyler the Creator that goat almost definitely symbolizes Baphomet. this type of humor isnt meant for old people and thats part of what makes it funny. his jokes are known for being racist and sexist. you think this is bad you should listen to his music. its actually very good but its not for people who are easily offended. with that being said he is actually one of the least racist sexist judgmental rappers in the music industry. this ad is full if inside jokes only his fans would know about. i think its hilarious. people are actually over analyzing this.

its all good fun
OFWGKTA
edit on 1-5-2013 by asher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I can't imagine too many people in the black community would find this funny. Especially as an ad for a product that already has a "ghetto" reputation and is made with the intent to be broadcast to the nation at large. Playing it off as a," It's Tyler Perry and he's black,!" situation is incredibly limiting and unfair.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosegaol

this commercial was meant for odd future fans not the black community. some of the members are actually in the video. its tyler the creator not tyler perry haha. your comment is funny because tyler the creator actually makes fun of tyler perry a lot. these commercials are normally played at night on cartoon networks adult swim time block around the same time their show comes on. if you look to far into the things they do your bound to find something offensive. its all a joke

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Apparently the Pepsi company not only offends blacks but also gays.
Glad I don't drink that garbage.

How is that offensive to gays? I think it's pretty funny. The OP video, not so much. I also didn't find it offensive, but it was dumb, lacking any kind of levity whatsoever. This one was a little predictable but good for a slight chuckle.

I guess I should add that I don't get the inside jokes in the OP vid, so I shouldn't be so harsh about it since it makes sense and is funnier to some people.
edit on 1-5-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rosegaol
I can't imagine too many people in the black community would find this funny. Especially as an ad for a product that already has a "ghetto" reputation and is made with the intent to be broadcast to the nation at large. Playing it off as a," It's Tyler Perry and he's black,!" situation is incredibly limiting and unfair.

Does that mean grape soda manufacturers shouldn't advertise specifically to black people?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
My question is, why would Pepsi want to hire Tyler to begin with? He trolls on a professional level, he even trolled Pepsi. The kid loves trolling so much I wouldn't be surprised if he starts a trolling religion so he can continue to troll people through his followers after his death.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by asher

I can accept that. Perhaps it is, but for people "outside of the loop" this is terribly offensive.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It's grape drank, dammit.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by malchir

well with lil wayne other rappers and musicians doing work with mt dew the product is aimed at young people. tylers fan base is skaters and younger people so this is just good product placement. its not like these are shown during the normal hours of the day either. adult swim fans are used to offensive incoherent tv so this fits right in. tylers actually a pretty good video director too. hes been trolling religion from the start. odd future often uses 666 inverted crosses and the nazi swastika
edit on 1-5-2013 by asher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I can't watch it, but the complaint is that all of the suspects in a lineup are black, but if the suspect was black then naturally wouldn't all the suspects brought in for a lineup be black? I know it's a goofy commercial apparently and one is a goat, but what I am saying makes sense and i'm sure Tyler the Creator just wanted to get his friends in the commercial.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Asher explained it well - it's trollololol.

He is "being racist" because he is making fun of the anti-racist crowd, and not because he is racist, but because he finds the ideologies, of race, sex, and religious political correctness, to be a joke to make fun of.

i.e. He makes jokes out of things that other people take very seriously, because he find their seriousness to be laughable.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
MIGHT # around and be a goat named felicia!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Yeah this is absurd, black people don't commit crimes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join