It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2023 the first colonization trip to Mars- will it happen in say 20 yrs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
www.space.com...

Question 1: Any ATSers sign up..
Question 2: Do you think it really will happen?
Question 3: Shelter/Food/mobility any ideas on how to provide these

Enough of this -I am sure many have thought about this- I am just curious. Curious in large part to a dream I had about this.trip. In my dream I was part of this mission. We made it! Landed near a cave. The first discovery was that a mining colony of Martians lived underground. Maybe not a bad idea for the 2023 team. In the dream the colonists were "Shanghai'd" from earth by a race basically to mine the red planet. But they were basically fair and paid the workers. I kinda "wild West" environment sprung up. New "Martians" were very popular since Older "Martians"/their descendents wanted to know what had happened on earth lately. I realize the lack of an atmosphere is a problem anywhere. So is the radiation(sterility) and temp extremes(for survival).

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I hope they land it near a forest or other anomaly instead of in the middle of nowhere like they keep doing with the rovers. I figure they probably do that because they can't manually pilot it with the interplanetary radio delay and all, and wouldn't want to HIT an anomaly and destroy the craft. But if it's a manned mission whats the excuse? Land it at the face. Land it a couple miles from a forest.

I hope they send a car for them. They sent that buggy to the moon. With todays technology they could probably send a jeep wrangler.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I actually signed up this past Sunday. Got through initial regitration and was feeling excited as to what's next.

Then I get to the dreaded PAY screen US$38 wawawa....Should I pay or not? I'm still debating, If for some strange reason I did get picked, I know I am NOT coming back to Earth. Like, ever,ever,ever!

This is the Wait,You MUST pay US $$$ page that sent me back to ponder if my desire to live the rest of my life on Mars was just desire or something more.

This page lists out people who are already signed up and registered to go (if selected)
MARSONE HOMEPAGE

I myself am still on the fence,so what say you ATS'rs??? What say you?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I'm highly doubtful we will actually see anyone head off to Mars. Then, seeing you have to pay to register to be considered - wow. Interesting. How many times, have we heard the planned details of them sending someone to space - only for it to fade away and not be heard about again?

I'll believe it, when I see it. And then - there will be some some people stating it didn't happen anyways. Or stating, we already have people there and have - for a decade or more. If there is any truth to the ET hypothesis - we might not be welcome to colonize anywhere and even if we tried - the ship could just mysteriously disappear. Happens to planes, boats, and people right here on the rock we're living. All the time. Wouldn't be to surprised to see a disappearance out there is space, either.

I couldn't consider to go unless their was simulated gravity. I've digestive issues, and I don't believe I'd fair well in a zero-gravity environment. I already have to exercise and alter my diet just to keep everything working in proper order with my digestive system! But if I was still young, unattached and free to sacrifice my earthly existence for traveling the stars! Yeah - my adventurous side calls out. I just feel I'm outside the range of a viable candidate.

Cirque

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I think we've had the required tech for decades, just a matter of comfort level at this point...assuming no return mission is needed, and really, any realistic trip to Mars should be a one-way affair, at least until a spaceport and ship could eventually be BUILT on Mars.

Problem is, we luck the willingness (as a society) to spend the money needed to make it happen. THAT is the real hurdle with a Mars trip, not the tech.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Gazrok is right, we have had the tech for years.

They keep saying this is one way trip etc.

But to be honest I can totally see if a colony was set up and was thriving they would build as said a small port eventually capable of relinking earth and mars, not in the sense of a hourly bus service but every couple of years/when ever necessary it will be possible, I mean I'm sure NASA and other space agency's will want to work with the people living there to further their own research of the dead planet.
edit on 12-5-2013 by Sparta because: (no reason given)

top topics

join