It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your first non-child book?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I mean not Dr. Seuss. I think my first book was One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.
After those ones. There weren't many back then. My first was Space Eagle:

www.goodreads.com...

I was 8. Then came MASH, Dirty Harry, lots of adult books.
I guess that one opened me up to more complicated things. I wonder what a 21st century kid would think about that one.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Little House on the Prarie, I read the entire series!!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
L Ron Hubbard's mission earth all 10 of them...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

When I was 13 I read George Orwell's...(1984)...that was a real eye opener...and in 2013...here we are!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Stephen King's Needful Things.

Second Grade.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I don't remember my first non-child book. I'll never forget my first non-child magazine.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

When I was 10 or so I remember reading 'Wheels of Terror' by Sven Hassel,closely followed by Frederick Forsyth's 'Day of the Jackal'

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
My stepmother taught me to read at 3 years of age, at 5 I was reading encyclopedia, by 8 i had read The Illiad, Beowulf, Robin Hood, Ivanhoe, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, Tale of Two Cities, just to name a few.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by nake13

When I was 10 or so I remember reading 'Wheels of Terror' by Sven Hassel,closely followed by Frederick Forsyth's 'Day of the Jackal'

You must have been an interesting kid!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I have never considered this question. I realize now that the answer to this question has shaped my entire existence.

I remember reading Frog & Toad, Little Bear, Little House of the Prairie, Dr. Seuss, and all the typical little kids books.

... But the first real "grown-up" book I ever read was "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I had to have been about 10 years old, maybe 12.

I realize now that this has had a lot to do with why I am the way I am today. Thankfully!
edit on 1-5-2013 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I read Nancy Drew Mysteries my mom bought me and all the thing required in high school, but the first things I remember buying/reading on my own were

Communiion
Mary Summer-Rain series
Nastrudamus
Left Behind book series

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I would have to say two books. One about Space and the other about the Titanic. The two books were illustrated and read more like a D.K publishing than a novel.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
At 12 I was reading Tolkiens Lord Of The Rings series, Dracula and some Edgar Allen Poe stuff. I've always had a passion for reading.

CX

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
If i remember rightly it was either The Celestine Prophecy or The Alchemist.

CX.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Was part of my English course along with To kill a mocking bird. Having to read them takes the fun out of reading. I read To Kill a mocking bird, when I was much older and it was far more compelling to read.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I was reading at 3 and a half years old. The first book I ever read by myself was the Elves and the Shoemaker

My first 'grown up' book was The Hobbit, which was my Mum's copy when I was about 7. I didn't understand many of the words and found it tough going (even now I sometimes find Tolkien hard going). There might have been others before that, but I don't really remember. I just remember The Hobbit being significant because my mum gave me her copy from when she was a youngster.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
More of a short story, but "The Pit and The Pendulum" in sixth grade. Took me a whole weekend.

That story still makes my stomach tighten up.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I know it was a Stephen King book, I just cant recall which one. "It", maybe.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
My first adult read was Trinity by Leon Uris

Good read's verdict

I read it in the middle of the IRA bombing campaigns. It was that book that taught me to always look at the other side of the story before being judgmental, a lesson carried with me throughout my life.

Except when I get 404'd

Cody

top topics

join