It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Four in 10 Americans say they're willing to give up some civil liberties to fight terrorism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I just saw this on the CNN home page:

CNN/Time/ORC poll: Four in 10 Americans say they're willing to give up some civil liberties to fight terrorism.

Giving up our civil liberties to fight terrorism is giving into terrorism. It's like handing the ball off to the opposing team's defence in a game of American football. If the terrorists goals are to break the people and disrupt the way they live their life then giving up liberties is giving them what they want.

I don't know how accurate these polls are and I realize 4/10 isn't a majority but it's frightening that 40% of the people who participated in this poll think this way. The boogie man...real or invented...sure is working in the power's favour.

What do you think ATS? Would you be willing to give up more civil liberties to fight terrorism?

edit on 1-5-2013 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
No I would not. However I am also not one of the 47%(4.7 in 10) who suckle at the government teat to survive either. Maybe the real story here is the close correlation of those statistics?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Nope! Not I! If it wasn't for the government and all of it's rules and regulations, I would be able to take care of myself just fine with out them!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

One thing that I have recently heard...is that people are willing to have more surveillance cameras around and about almost all areas.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

CNN/Time/ORC poll: Four in 10 Americans say they're willing to give up some civil liberties to fight terrorism.

Do you believe that?

Do you think that 40 percent of Americans are ready to surrender important freedoms for a little perceived safety?

I don't. Not for a single second. But... that's the whole point. Polls are commissioned NOT to reveal what people think, but to design their opinions to fit a certain end. In this case, it is to convince the population that most of their fellow Americans are tossing in the towel on liberty. They'd rather be questionably safe than undeniably free,.

Is that you?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

True. An unbiased poll would focus on the 60% who would not want to give up their freedoms for "security".

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by redoubt

True. An unbiased poll would focus on the 60% who would not want to give up their freedoms for "security".

EXACTLY!

Sorry about the caps... this just really tipped over my sauce pan.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Of course there is some error with this poll found here: Linky

The poll was conducted for CNN and Time magazine by ORC International, with 606 adults nationwide questioned by telephone on Tuesday April 30.

Wow, not even 10% of the country. I know that it takes a lot of time to call someone, but just 606 people questioned is like asking 10 people if they like ice cream and stating that 100% of the people like ice cream.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by redoubt

Well said...

I agree with both you and redoubt

edit on 1-5-2013 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Just visited this story. ALL comments are being heavily moderated.

Mine won't survive.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Polls are being used across the board right now to reorient public opinion.

At some point, you have to dig your heels in and say 'no more'.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Benjamin Franklin once said “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

That speaks volumes. It's a shame the Government do not stick to this advice when attempting to tackle Terrorism.

To introduce laws and legislation designed to remove these liberties, certainly does play into the Terrorists hands. They want people to be under control of the state, freedoms removed.

Seriously? 40%? It is a sensational headline, but illustrates the kind of audience CNN attract.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
To me, it's just an endless circle, because the same irresponsible politicians that create a terrorism-ripe environment throughout the world are the ones trying to grasp control over their own population under the cloak of 'national security'. Take away all of the CIA and oil baron black op crap that's been done to the middle eastern countries and we'd never have to worry about them in the first place.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sounds about right. Half the people in the US have below average intelligence.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom

Not sure if the above is the case or not, seems like a sensational claim. By what criteria do we measure intelligence?

Any one can make up a statistic, 42% of all people know that.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

What do you think ATS? Would you be willing to give up more civil liberties to fight terrorism?

The problem for me is I really don't know what that means. What am I giving up? Can cops beat me into a coma for dropping a butt on the sidewalk? Can the marines invade a city and go house to house looking for (what?) someone in possession of Islamic texts?

Also, I fear the government's idea of fighting terrorism would be different from mine. What good is rounding up terrorists if the religion is allowed to stay in my country and spawn more terrorists? All we have to do is look at the Tsarnaev brothers to know that new terrorists are born every 20 years or so.

But, I don't want a Muslim slaughter. I just want them put on a boat and sent to where it's okay to kill each other in the name of allah. Meaning, what good will it do to pick off the scabs, but leave the disease here to fester again and again?

I don't see a final solution in any of this, so no, I wouldn't give up my civil liberties.
edit on 5/1/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The other six are ready to beat the crap out of those 4 and kill the terrorists themselves.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This from: Many in Muslim world want sharia as law of land: survey

Suicide bombing... won 40 percent support in the Palestinian territories, 39 percent in Afghanistan, 29 percent in Eygpt and 26 percent in Bangladesh.

80 percent or more rejected homosexuality...

Views on punishments such as chopping off thieves' hands or decreeing death for apostates... more than three-quarters of Muslims in South Asia say they are justified.

Majorities from 74 percent in Lebanon to 96 percent in Malaysia said wives should always obey their husbands.

Conflict with other religions loomed larger, with 68 percent in Lebanon saying it was a big problem, 65 percent in Tunisia, 60 percent in Nigeria and 57 percent in Pakistan.

If polls didn't show ZERO support for suicide bombings, ZERO support for rejecting homosexuality, ZERO support for chopping off hands, ZERO support for wives being forced to obey their husbands...why would anyone want this religion to spread into the civilized world?

I would give up my rights temporarily to get Islam out of my country, but there would have to be a deadline, a set date when those rights would be automatically restored.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom

Not sure if the above is the case or not, seems like a sensational claim.

Average would be the exact center of the scale. Thus just under 50% would be "above average" and just under 50% would be "below average". Nothing sensationalist about it.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Glad to see you alive and kicking my friend!

I agree with you 100%

Now I must add, who is allowing this nonsense to happen in our country?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join