It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister with gift rifle

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Agreed and I don't always agree with the American policy in the world, but you hit the nail on the head with your post above.....
Much appreciated because I think the majority here wanted to say just that if not they were thinking what you posted.

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 1-5-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
And once again stupid gun owners make the rest of us look bad. I have said it before and I will say it again. Mandatory safety classes and then safety testing should be required to buy a gun. We do it for cars I am sure we can do it for guns. Because when you look at how many idiots do not secure their weapons and end up with them being stolen by crimminals or shooting themselves or other family members it is clear these people do not have a clue about what they own.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
And once again stupid gun owners make the rest of us look bad. I have said it before and I will say it again. Mandatory safety classes and then safety testing should be required to buy a gun. We do it for cars I am sure we can do it for guns. Because when you look at how many idiots do not secure their weapons and end up with them being stolen by crimminals or shooting themselves or other family members it is clear these people do not have a clue about what they own.

Exactly. If a saftey class stops just one retard from killing themselfs or others then it is worthwhile.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Cars and guns should not be compared.

They most certainly SHOULD be compared!!!

To own and operate a car, you have to be a certain age, be tested to ascertain your ability and knowledge, own insurance, be registered and be licensed by the state. It's all very well-regulated.

Are you sure you want to compare them?

RIP to the little girl. This is a tragic situation!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

To own and operate a car, you have to be a certain age, be tested to ascertain your ability and knowledge, own insurance, be registered and be licensed by the state. It's all very well-regulated.

Are you sure you want to compare them?

RIP to the little girl. This is a tragic situation

YES!!!!!

I am VERY certain I want to compare them, because it amounts to a very simple concept called "RESONSIBILITY"!!!

As it this tragic situation is due to a parent who is "IRRESPONSIBLE" so is the individual who get behind the wheel of a car whom is to intoxicated to drive!!!!!!

So after that example I just gave you, how is a freakin car that kills people because of an irresponsible human being any different than a GUN whom is used by an irresponsible human being???????????

Or our you a big fan of the Cloward and Piven Strategy?????
edit on 1-5-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I guess there have been many posters on this thread saying the same ol same ol....

'its not guns which kill people..... people kill people'

Ha! Blimey, you Americans and your guns!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

Originally posted by onthedownlow

Originally posted by crazyewok

Originally posted by onthedownlow

Leaving a loaded rifle in the corner is dumb and irresponsible, but not criminal. Cleaning supplies, prescription and over the counter medications, pesticides and herbicides, TVs or shelves that aren't anchored to the wall, and numerous other things are irresponsible to leave about when small children are in the home, but not criminal. Do we really want to arrest over every dumb irresponsible mistake, or just the ones that end in tragedy? I cant honestly remember all of the dumb mistakes I have made, but thankfully I have been lucky enough to not have to pay the price for them, yet I have still learned valuable lessons in each. Ultimately, I suppose the DA or a jury of their peers will decide their punishment, but nothing will ever compare to living with the knowledge that you are responsible for killing your own child.

BS! This was complety preventible and the parents should be punnished as a example for proper gun saftey!

Have your guns but everyone should be held responisible for there firearms.

As many as 5000 adolescents die each year from alcohol consumption, yet no one is suggesting that we reinstate a prohibition on alcohol or arrest parents for not keeping their alcohol under lock and key. Nearly all auto accidents are preventable. All kinds of death are preventable, but do we want to start tossing people in prison for every little thing?

In not saying ban guns. But if you buy one you are responsible for its safe handling!

If you pass out drunk and leave your bottle of vodka out and your 2 year old drinks it and dies Im pretty sure you would get into legal trouble.
parents had

You make an excellent point, I am not evading accountability, I merely was suggesting that a punishment, in the case of the child's parents, has been meted out, and any additional punishment might be beyond the scope of the Department of Corrections. A large part of society acts responsibly in most of its actions, but there is no way to equally apply a criminal element to situations that on rare occasions end in tragedy, they are much better to serve as a reminder to the rest of us the importance of accountability and personal responsibility, where the institutionalization of such might have a numbing effect.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Well me for one am against any more micro management then we are suffering now.

Because when you look at how many idiots do not secure their weapons and end up with them being stolen by crimminals or shooting themselves or other family members it is clear these people do not have a clue about what they own.

When you look at how many people own firearms and how many accidents actually happen they are far more safer than Joe blow driving his car down the highway/freeway.

I would trust my life with a gun owner/ hunter before I would trust my life to a driver on the highway texting or yapping on a cell phone.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicGrind
reply to post by Cabin

This is just dumb and blood on the hands of the NRA and all the gun lovers out there.

At the very least, why can't we have an age limit for a kid to own a gun??? Parents get in trouble for having their kid ride in the car without a seat belt...but here is a gun...go shoot your baby sister because your mind is too undeveloped to understand that there is no reset button in real life.

At least this didn't harm anyone outside of the family...this was the parents choice and their own fault. They have to live the rest of their lives knowing they killed their daughter and the little boy is most likely screwed up for life.

But hey, at least he got to practice his 2nd amendment right....right guys...he's a patriot.....absolutely disgusting.

There *IS* an age limit to own a gun. That age is 18. Last I checked, this kid was not old enough to own a gun.

So we have a law that was ignored here. What do you propose to do now?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

There are no mandatory safety classes to drive a car. I did not take one.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

You lose your driver´s licences after being caught under influence while driving. In many states you are still able to own a gun...

For getting a car, you need all kinds of schoolings and paperwork. For getting a gun, in many states, you need nothing but going to the store.

Drivers licences is pretty well regulated, guns are not.

Car and Gun are too different to compare. Car is rarely used for killing, its main purpose is to drive. The only purpose of a gun is killing somebody, if needed (self-defense or other reasons, harming somebody), hitting the target, if needed. It does not serve any other practical use, than to harm somebody or shoot something.

If somebody steals your car, it is highly unlikely they will use it to roll over somebody. When somebody steals your gun, it is likely that at some point it will be used to harm somebody else.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

When you look at how many people own firearms and how many accidents actually happen they are far more safer than Joe blow driving his car down the highway/freeway.

I would trust my life with a gun owner/ hunter before I would trust my life to a driver on the highway texting or yapping on a cell phone.

Regards, Iwinder

Hmmm. If every gun owner in the US spent as much time shooting their guns as they do driving their cars (horrible thought) how would it impact the accident rate you think?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

car and Gun are too different to compare. Car is rarely used for killing, its main purpose is to drive. The only purpose of a gun is killing somebody, if needed (self-defense or other reasons, harming somebody), hitting the target, if needed. It does not serve any other practical use, than to harm somebody or shoot something.
reply to post by Cabin

Guns are used for hunting, at least that was the intention.......cars are used for transportation, if you want to argue the use or value of guns then we will have to go to the military aspect of firearms which is then going to be world wide not just Kentucky.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I have never met a firearm that is lacks responsibility, wants to kill a person, can fire on its own, has free will, can load, cock, or fire itself. I have never met a firearm that felt any emotion for that matter. Nor have I met one that will do anything but sit there unless there is outside interaction with it.

I have on the other hand met people who have free will, want to hurt others, do lack responsibility, that can load, cock, and fire a firearm. I have met people who feel emotion (you are showing some right now actually). Every firearm that has been used to kill a person either purposefully or by accident required a person to cause the situation. The accidents are nothing but negligence, they could have been avoided had the person handling the firearm been responsible and followed the rules of handling a firearm.

www.nssf.org...

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

If you want to blame the firearm please post some evidence of a firearms committing acts of murder on its own. My guess is (and I am only assuming here, because you might live in some magical world) that every story you link will involve a person being involved.

For the record I think people should have to go through training. I also recommend that anyone who is not going to conceal carry to take the class simply because of the information you gain through it. Any class on firearms training you can take should be taken.

Raist

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I have never met a firearm that is lacks responsibility, wants to kill a person, can fire on its own, has free will, can load, cock, or fire itself. I have never met a firearm that felt any emotion for that matter. Nor have I met one that will do anything but sit there unless there is outside interaction with it.

I have on the other hand met people who have free will, want to hurt others, do lack responsibility, that can load, cock, and fire a firearm. I have met people who feel emotion (you are showing some right now actually). Every firearm that has been used to kill a person either purposefully or by accident required a person to cause the situation. The accidents are nothing but negligence, they could have been avoided had the person handling the firearm been responsible and followed the rules of handling a firearm.

www.nssf.org...

1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

If you want to blame the firearm please post some evidence of a firearms committing acts of murder on its own. My guess is (and I am only assuming here, because you might live in some magical world) that every story you link will involve a person being involved.

For the record I think people should have to go through training. I also recommend that anyone who is not going to conceal carry to take the class simply because of the information you gain through it. Any class on firearms training you can take should be taken.

Raist

Im not saying ban gun but you can use the same argumnet for nuclear weapons.

They dont have a will ect ect ect so why dont allow everyone to have a nuke?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Hmmm. If every gun owner in the US spent as much time shooting their guns as they do driving their cars (horrible thought) how would it impact the accident rate you think?
reply to post by cripmeister

You tell me because I cannot find it in Google, I tried and there is not results for accidents involved due to guns and motor vehicles......mind you I was searching for accidents on both fronts.
Its a tricky search do we look for unintentional deaths due to firearms/ automobiles?
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is in response to every individual who starred responses or made the responses suggesting that there is nothing criminal about leaving a loaded weapon around children.

Firearms retailers are required to provide every buyer with a written warning stating, "If you leave a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a child, you may be fined or imprisoned or both if the child improperly discharges, possesses or exhibits the firearm." Statute 175.37

en.wikipedia.org...

I live in Wisconsin, so yes.. this is the law of my land. Also, I'd suggest checking to see if you have similar laws in your states.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by retirednature
This is in response to every individual who starred responses or made the responses suggesting that there is nothing criminal about leaving a loaded weapon around children.

Firearms retailers are required to provide every buyer with a written warning stating, "If you leave a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a child, you may be fined or imprisoned or both if the child improperly discharges, possesses or exhibits the firearm." Statute 175.37

en.wikipedia.org...

I live in Wisconsin, so yes.. this is the law of my land. Also, I'd suggest checking to see if you have similar laws in your states.

I take it you live on a cheese farm or in a Condominium with your every whim looked after?

Laws are all good and fine until you realize that they were not made to help us but to control us indeed........I see lots of posters here playing the child angle but yet ignore the fact that thousands of children die every year in car accidents but only a few hundred at most die due to gun accidents.

Regards, iwinder

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Well being that 99% of the population cannot afford one I guess it does not matter.

You just completely missed the point with your fear of firearms. I did not say anything about who should own one did I? I did say there should be training, with training comes education. If you cannot pass basic common sense (i.e. following the said rules above) you should most likely not own a firearm.

Your argument claims you are not saying ban them but you turn around and compare them to weapons of mass destruction. The argument is a fallacy. I do not care about nuclear weapons and that is not what this thread is about. Now if you have a logical argument comparing apples to apples then we can proceed. If you wish to compare nuclear weapons though to firearms you might as well find someone else to try and argue with. They are not the same and should not be placed on the same level. Further more a nuclear weapon does not even have the same rules applied to it as a firearm because bombs are not firearms.

Raist

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Only in America can you buy "a little rifle for a kid". WTF would you buy a rifle for a 5 year old? THEN AGAIN, I spent some time in Kentucky/TN...not really surprised either...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join