It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 year old girl arrested, charged with felony for science project

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

And they wonder why most girls drop science. Absolutely ridiculous.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

As far as i understand atomic bombs are not vessels under pressure that rupture but instead particles reacting with one another produce a massive amount of energy along with heat and light which are products of combustion. Granted it is not as simple as a fire burning but then again it is, it is a reaction that produces energy along with the byproducts of heat and light. With regards to nuclear material, I am not an expert on that subject to the extent of telling you what is occuring at the atomic level during that course of events. With that said the water bottle being overpressurized is not a nuclear explosion.

how Does A Nuclear Bomb Work?
Nuclear Weapon

And if I understand correctly a supernova blast involves nuclear material as well so it seems it is also a nuclear explosion.

Supernova
Supernova-wiki

Just to be clear i was not trying to insult you by saying it was your deffinition. I was only calling it yours because you presented the information.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The state of Connecticut will arrest you and charge you with manufacturing an explosive device if you use Mentos. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Who reported the little girl? I bet some paranoid teacher heard the little pop and seen the tiny bit of smoke(volatile gases if she was mixing house hold items) and called the cops screaming gun or bomb.

This girl should not be punished, she should be getting scholarships for more incentive to keep learning new things.

The only thing the girl will get from this experience is that science and learning makes you a terrorist.

edit on 2-5-2013 by TruthSeekersRUS because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by trollz

A complete overreaction. Hopefully, with the press around this, it will simply go away.

Now this girl is probably going to be a felon for life, simply because she made the cap pop off a water bottle.

No she won't, she's a minor, this will be sealed and expunged, if not completely dismissed after the press on it.

Yup. Y/O and AR. if it even gets to that point.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If the DHS knew all the stuff i had done in high school I would be locked away in a FEMA camp for sure. There is nothing wrong with kids experimenting with things, but i do think people need to understand its not how it was 10 years ago. There are apropriate places to do things like that, your back yard, a friends back yard, an empty field, on the side of a county road in the middle of the night...

As far as the punishment i believe it could have been handled a little differently but in this day and age this seems to be standard procedure. If you plan to do something like that find a secluded location or get a teacher involved so as to cover your six. But thingscan get dangerous when chemicals are involved, we had to evacuate the fire station for several hours when someone accidentally mixed cleaners in a toilet bowl, as it created what we refered to as "bootleg mustard gas".

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
To be honest there are way too many people who overreact and are paranoid when the students make noises and what not. Another example of the craziness in American schools today. Sad to see it happen.

Lol I remember 20 years ago I almost got expelled. The meeting that was had, came out saying I was suspended for 2 weeks instead. I was only 8 years old and this was all because of a silly putty gift I won for having a sticker on the bottom of my lunch tray.. I used the silly putty and folded it so I could blow air into it and cap it off, then squeeze it to make a popping noise. My parents even got a ticket for "disturbing the peace" because of my silly putty pop noise.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeekersRUS

To be honest there are way too many people who overreact and are paranoid when the students make noises and what not. Another example of the craziness in American schools today. Sad to see it happen.

Lol I remember 20 years ago I almost got expelled. The meeting that was had, came out saying I was suspended for 2 weeks instead. I was only 8 years old and this was all because of a silly putty gift I won for having a sticker on the bottom of my lunch tray.. I used the silly putty and folded it so I could blow air into it and cap it off, then squeeze it to make a popping noise. My parents even got a ticket for "disturbing the peace" because of my silly putty pop noise.

You should have gone to a British Comprehensive school. You get away with everything but murder.

If you made a smal IED and denotated on a empty school field you would get A's from the science teacher for the rest of the year lol

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

My kid is NEVER going to go to a public school. Reading stories like this on an almost daily basis have made that decision very easy for me.

Thanks for the link.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Back when I was school, a long time ago, we actually blew # up for science. I remember the students actually making explosives using different chemicals, setting them off (with adult supervision and proper safety precautions) and then following up by documenting the size and strength of the explosion, what physical changes occurred to the surrounding mediums and then extrapolating the damage etc. that would be caused by increasing the amounts of the varied chemicals and elements.

At first the thinking changed to kids can't do the experiments, too dangerous. Then is was the teachers couldn't do the experiments, too dangerous. Now it is so that those chemicals and elements that could be used in such a manner are not even allowed in the schools. The fact that kids can no longer do or even observe those kinds of experiments now is one of the reasons why kids no longer think science is cool and we end up importing such a huge number of scientists from foreign countries.

I certainly hope someone goes to bat for this kid and sues the # out of the school district and the city to pay for her education at whatever science heavy Ivy League school she decides to go to.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Antigod
So, I looked up on youtube the sort of explosion she caused... tinfoil and toilet cleaner.

Actually a fairly substantial bang, which could have injured anyone close to it.

I think pressing criminal charges is OTT, but some kind of school disciplinary action WAS warranted if she did this on school grounds.

This is my stance on the issue. And I really do consider anyone who doesn't have this stance to be ignorant, and most likely has never taken even an intro college chemistry course.
Mixing chemicals together is serious business. She could've easily BLINDED several kids.

ATS is really showing their ignorance on this topic....

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

So, I looked up on youtube the sort of explosion she caused... tinfoil and toilet cleaner.

Actually a fairly substantial bang, which could have injured anyone close to it.

I think pressing criminal charges is OTT, but some kind of school disciplinary action WAS warranted if she did this on school grounds.

This is my stance on the issue. And I really do consider anyone who doesn't have this stance to be ignorant, and most likely has never taken even an intro college chemistry course.
Mixing chemicals together is serious business. She could've easily BLINDED several kids.

Yeah its a really dumbass thing to do. She needed a good telling off. But kids do dumbass things and have since for ever. You cant stop that like you cant stop the tide.

Permanet expulsion and a criminal record is OTT.

O and as for eduction I have a biology degree and have worked in Cat 3 Bio labs so I know a few things about hazards

edit on 2-5-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Unless im missing something, and she could of really caused some severe damage, then This is being used to put FEAR into students. Oh No, the cap blew off, could of caused severe damage, and created PTSD in other students. WTF..... I fear this is only the beginning of more ridiculous events to come. A way of making this world as Dumb as possible, one person at a time.

I want know what official decided that it was incredibly dangreous, and she needed to be expelled, not just suspended but Expelled. WOW

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I wonder if Dry Ice bombs are illegal now. Very easy to make, and I doubt I need to say how to make it, Hell I could get arrested. LOL Just make sure to use a Plastic bottle if you do play around with those.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicGrind

Originally posted by EllaMarina
reply to post by LogicGrind

I have to wonder if the school wasn't covering their backsides by claiming they had no knowledge of the incident.

The school has nothing to cover...if it was a science project, no harm no foul.

She did this outside, on school grounds, behind the cafeteria, with no teacher supervision...she screwed up and now she must face the consequences.

Yes, it sucks...kids do dumb things...but there are consequences.

Yeah, we all understand that kids "screw up" and should face consequences. But the problem is that the punishment no longer fits the crime.

Give her detention. Don't charge her with a felony and kick her out of school.

You don't even want to get me started on this whole topic...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Not sure I agree 100% with the last part, but I sure do the first. Back in the '70s, one of my friends was the only one in the restroom at work so he ran a line of Liquid Fire around the toilet seat and put the lid down as a joke. The guy that sat down on it got a pretty bad chemical burn. In a union plant you can't afford to forget how snitches are treated, but if they'd caught him, he'd have been out of a job. Stuff like that isn't anything to be played around with.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicGrind
reply to post by trollz

It wasn't a science project.

www.theledger.com...

The girl told authorities she was conducting a science experiment, according to Bartow police, but science teachers at the school said they knew nothing about it.

She did this on her own with a lot of other kids around.

Who cares? She probably did the mentos in a cocacola bottle explosion after seeing it on youtube or something along those lines. It's still a science experiment, whether or not sanctioned by school administrators.

Hell, kids used to blow things up back in the day. But, people might give them commendations for their curiosity. There was that one kid in the 60's I think? Maybe rockets that eventually made it to space. This was when NASA was spending untold amounts of money to achieve the same thing.

Ludicrous this girl was charged.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
Shut down all companies selling the following product.

www.amazon.com...

CODE RED CODE RED

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Whatever is the world to do with so many hazardous chemicals just lying around, we should all be protected of them...
Give me a break.

What a dumb, brainwashed, non-creative bunch of no-nothing people this world is creating. Aldous Huxley was right...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

Originally posted by TruthSeekersRUS

You should have gone to a British Comprehensive school. You get away with everything but murder.

If you made a smal IED and denotated on a empty school field you would get A's from the science teacher for the rest of the year lol

True!

We had our chemistry lab evacuated a couple of times.....The bomb squad were not required though.

edit on 2-5-2013 by squarehead666 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

You (the High School, the American nation) should be offering this young lady a scholarship to study chemistry at university, not expelling her from school and charging her with felonies. Shame on your narrow minded paranoia.

Here's a quote on the article page. Which is entirely correct. When a child shows an interest in chemistry like this they should have all their programs shifted to accommodate the interest.

The girl probably had a very successful career in chemical engineering ahead of her. . .

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join