It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 year old girl arrested, charged with felony for science project

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666

Originally posted by LogicGrind
reply to post by trollz

It wasn't a science project.

www.theledger.com...

The girl told authorities she was conducting a science experiment, according to Bartow police, but science teachers at the school said they knew nothing about it.

She did this on her own with a lot of other kids around.

Please tell me how that means that it was not a science experiment ? If i do a science experiment in my basement without my science teacher present to watch it , was it really a science experiment ?

You're all doomed.. This is patently obvious. You can't differentiate between REAL and what's in your heads.

No, this was NOT a project. That would imply the school was involved, as she was on school property. She was simply making what she knew would explode. At school. Where there is a duty of care expected of the teaching staff.

Felony charges? certainly not, but stop trying to make out she was simply making a pretend volcano.

As to this "Back in my day, .. so now I'd be a terrorist!" well, yeah.. times have changed. You don't get to walk barefoot in the local park either, because rufus the hobo will steal you damn kids. The world stinks.

We certainly don't need little miss explodesalot maiming the slow kids at her school tho.

This is bizarre... you just don't see it.. all you see is a blue light and hand cuffs... struth..

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Also I like to joke about the apocalypse and tell people to go to your local library for safety reasons.
# 1 Looters/rioters in this country would never think to rob a library (it's a type of kryptonite so to speak).

edit on 2-5-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

Ouch!!! That hurt! I had a molar cut out yesterday afternoon and you just got a belly laugh out of me.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by anton74
Did anyone happen to notice the story about the lady who had a face transplant after being attacked with Lye? Does anyone know what the main ingredient in Drano is? If she had injured someone the lawsuit would have been in the millions. There is a time and place for doing something like this and a public school isn't it.

Yes, I did alot of stupid stuff like this when I was younger and had some bigger explosions. I'm lucky though I didn't end up like two people I know, one missing a hand and the other missing 3 fingers.

edit on 1-5-2013 by anton74 because: typo

Yes, school is not the place.

And the CIA was arming the mujahadeen and America TV was lying about why Russia was in Afghanistan 30 years ago. Eventually Osama Bin Laden took power after we got 14 thousand Russian soldiers killed who had not INVADED, but were invited by the legal ruling gov't to fight religious zealots. by a moderate Islamic gov't legally authorized to rule and invite Russian soldiers to route Islamic zealots who were attempting to take over.

The CIA got 3,000 American civilians killed by lack of foresight and a desire for revenge in the failure of Vietnam.

Did any of them face federal charges? NO.

And a child with an exemplary record, while inappropriate certainly wasn't getting 14,000 Russian soldiers killed,lying about why they were there, or helping zealots take over a moderate Islamic state.

Let this child go, and ARREST the CIA.

Because if they had minded their own business Russian soldiers would have already done a job that we have American soldiers doing clean up work for and getting waxed by IED's.

It's the manipulative CIA who should be getting blown up by IED's not American soldiers.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CornShucker
reply to post by muzzleflash

[applauding] Well said. If a kid is bright and creative, they get beat down and made to conform with the expected, which these days = kinda dim bulb. Seeing college age kids that can't name a country sharing a border with America depresses me and p*sses me off at the same time...

Back in 2001 when I was at TTU in an anthropology 101 style course, we were discussing the Latino culture as the topic of the day, along with some excellent literature, and this is what happened:

Teacher asks : "What are other names for Latino peoples?"
Kid 1: "Chicano"
K 2 : "Hispanic"
K 3 : "Asians"

The entire class halted in shock, then burst into laughter.
Thankfully most people were intelligent enough to know better but it's only funny because it's so sad.

All of my professors complained regularly at the dismal nature that is our education system, and loathe having to "reteach everything from scratch", as was how it is usually put, paraphrase of course.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

This is bizarre... you just don't see it.. all you see is a blue light and hand cuffs... struth..

What I see is the inevitable culmination of three technical mistakes made by many peoples:

# 1) The fallacious belief that having a career and $$$ is the most important thing in life.

and
# 2) The fallacious belief that the govt is smart and good, and will act that way when given joint-custody and authority over guardianship of your own children (though a legal document you sign at enrollment).

and
# 3) The fallacious belief that since teachers and administrators went to these schools too, they must be smart now, and must know what they are doing and will make the right choices most of the time.

Causation ===> Effect

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by CornShucker

Also I like to joke about the apocalypse and tell people to go to your local library for safety reasons.
# 1 Looters/rioters in this country would never think to rob a library (it's a type of kryptonite so to speak).

edit on 2-5-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

Ouch!!! That hurt! I had a molar cut out yesterday afternoon and you just got a belly laugh out of me.

You are welcome, and I am sorry.

I aim to please good sir!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

You are an exaggerator.
That is identical to lying in my world.

Get a grip on reality.

"She could have blown her arm off..."
Get real here dude or dudette.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia
What is she being punished for?

IF somebody got hurt. then there would be consequences. But being punished because someone MIGHT have been hurt?

There is only one way I can react to this post, and that would be "DUH!".

You see, when someone is driving their car drunk to the point of wasted, in my eyes (and many reasonable people as well) they deserved to be punished, even if they miraculously avoided killing people. Same goes for discharging a firearm at a crowded county fair and missing someone's head by an inch.

You guys (giving stars for that duh thing) needs to re-examine your cognitive capability.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
No, this was NOT a project. That would imply the school was involved, as she was on school property. She was simply making what she knew would explode. At school.

Nicely put. Should be obvious to most people, sadly, it's not.

Felony charges? certainly not, but stop trying to make out she was simply making a pretend volcano.

Right on, again.

We certainly don't need little miss explodesalot maiming the slow kids at her school tho.

ROTFL.

Again, seriously, making things go BOOM does always equal a "science project". Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
This teen is clearly a hardcore terrorist trained from NoKo. I feel safer that this teen has been 'discovered'...no doubt...there are 'others'.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

# 3) The fallacious belief that since teachers and administrators went to these schools too, they must be smart now, and must know what they are doing and will make the right choices most of the time.

While this is clearly fallacious, a simple position that it's not a good idea to blow things up at school is not. And I thought that was simple.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arles Morningside
This teen is clearly a hardcore terrorist trained from NoKo. I feel safer that this teen has been 'discovered'...no doubt...there are 'others'.

I hope you feel smart after posting this. This is the only hope I have for this content-free post.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Wow Im so glad I dont live in the USA.

If I had gone to school there I would be in a Fedral superMax facility or GITMO.

6 years ago at school me and my freinds did all stupid kinds of crap.

We used to blow up propane tanks, deorderant bottles ect

Make all sorts of whizz bangs and pops (half the time with unofficial help of the science teacher)

I made a giant crossbow out of 2000 elastic bands a park bench and lanched a 5 foot projectile at a old and unoccupied building.

Was I stupid ? HELL YEAH! Did I get into trouble? Dam right I did. But its being a stupid kid and in some ways the more smart you are the dumber the things you do. I got temporary suspended and shouted at (rightly so) it at but no life ruining criminal record or haveing my education terminated.

And what I find Ironic is in the USA you can go into a shop and buy a gun but you can make a water bottle go pop....yeah ok.....

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Intent

Intent at age 12 or whatever she was = criminal

Exemplary students have no criminal intent.

Solution = teachers verify all science projects before they are produced or displayed.

Equals a child with no criminal intent not facing federal charges.

Make the adults accountable.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

I'm just gonna go ahead and be that guy. First, let me preface it with, a FELONY? EXPELLED? That's a little absurd honestly..

But...

Think long and hard about this. Without supervision, with kids around, she mixed "chemicals" in a bottle to "see what would happen". First, that's reckless.

Secondly, whatever she mixed up, created enough pressure to pop the cap, and release smoke. Smoke, which could have been toxic (melted plastic is NASTY), secondly, since she "wanted to see what would happen" she clearly didn't know what would happen.

what happens when you attempt to contain pressure? A BOMB. That's what happens. This girl could have injured herself or others, plastic shrapnel is still shrapnel.

So, what exactly would everyone be saying if some poor kid walking by lost an eye? Oh darn, experiment failed?

She shouldn't be charged, and shouldn't be expelled, but clearly, she's not that smart. She's lucky. That could have ended very differently.
==================
ETA.

So... now the information comes out. She wasn't in class, this took place before morning classes started, and she was "replicating" "the toilet cleaner and aluminum project".

So yeah, completely wreckless and some one could have been horribly injured. Still, not a felony in my eyes, a week of suspension would make her think.
edit on 2-5-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
the public school system is devoid of common sense.
I remember an experiment in sci class that exploded and put stuff on the ceiling - it was great!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jibajaba

Sounds similiear to what we did.

Another one was mixing metel with nitric acid to make Nitrous oxide (A nice red toxic gas) the teacher did it in a closed glass tank.....which broke and we had to evacuate the room.....fun times

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Arles Morningside

I hope you feel smart after posting this. This is the only hope I have for this content-free post.

LoL, it's true, it lacks content. But hope not for Arles, you'll only be dissapointed, he's a lost cause. But trully, my post isn't as stupid as what happened to this teen.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I always tend to be able to see both sides of an issue. There are many more questions to ask before passing judgement. On the outside it seems to be an overreaction, but think more about it and you can see the serious side to it as well. I tried the "works" trick as a kid and got some burns on my leg from not running fast enough from it. I am 30 now, but 13 years ago my school handbook clearly stated anythign that could explode, implode or be propelled can and will be considered a weapon. We undetstood that we could be suspended or expelled. But for a felony charge to stem from this is insane. I believe the schools is reacting so harsh due to it beign on school grounds and noone knew what she was doing. When you send a child to school, you expect they are supervised and monitored. Was this after school? Her life is ruined if she gets convicted. I work for a call center and we run background checks on everyone. Felony equals no job. Doesnt matter the reason or the time frame. If its on the record we hold it against them. Which sucks, but thats the status quo from most companies. I feel for this girl and hope the charges get dropped or she gets a hell of a lawyer.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Does no one in today’s society know how to sit a child down and simply talk to them.... let them know what they did was wrong, suspension, hmm maybe, but expulsion or even the thought of arrest and felony charges, gimme a goddamn break..... and all you fascist nutsack swallowers sitting there talking about she deserved those consequences,need a swift kick in the rear to get you down from your cushy pedestal , kids do questionable things, we know this, but the reactions we get today are simply overboard, only thing she did wrong was doing it unsupervised on the school grounds, and in front of some little rat kid. And honestly if your a kid standing anywhere near something that’s about to explode your quite the tard and deserve to get injured.

!!! don't build bombs @ home - school's better to blow up !!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join