It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 year old girl arrested, charged with felony for science project

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Alot of you guys are taking this way too lightly. I don't think she deserves a felony and expulsion, but she deserves a suspension and a good scare. She used draining and aluminum foil which IS very dangerous and creates more than "a little pop " if its mixed in the right proportions it can take an arm off. Not only that but the chemical reaction creates poisonous gas and super hot temperatures and can also cause chemical burns. Why don't you watch a few YouTube videos before you dismiss it so lightly.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xfilestl

Presumably because she's been expelled already and is under threat of a felony conviction?

Had she caused the harm that you describe, it might makes sense.....But she didn't.

edit on 2-5-2013 by squarehead666 because: clarity

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeekersRUS

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by trollz

A complete overreaction. Hopefully, with the press around this, it will simply go away.

Now this girl is probably going to be a felon for life, simply because she made the cap pop off a water bottle.

No she won't, she's a minor, this will be sealed and expunged, if not completely dismissed after the press on it.

Yup. Y/O and AR. if it even gets to that point.

That's not true. Why do you think they are charging her as an adult rather than as a minor?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Its page 10...if some of you aren't aware yet, this was not a science project and the girl was not innocently conducting experiments in hopes of increasing the world's knowledge. She was trying to make a bottle explode on school grounds without teacher supervision. Couple that with the fact that teenagers have been making drano bombs & putting it on youtube....and on several occasions, causing serious burns and body injury, you got yourself more than enough reason to crucify her. Not sure if this was an attempt at a Drano bomb but, if you've ever seen one go off, you know kids + school = recipe for disaster. This girl is a complete idiot to try it at school.

Charging her with a felony is a little harsh perhaps, if she had no intention of harming anyone and nothing happened....but she definitely deserves to be expelled. Again....she's an idiot. She's lucky it did not blow off her hand. Stop being paranoid, you tards. This is not big brother taking away your rights...this is an idiot girl that could harm some other person's kids.
edit on 2-5-2013 by WilliamOckham because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WilliamOckham
Its page 10...if some of you aren't aware yet, this was not a science project and the girl was not innocently conducting experiments in hopes of increasing the world's knowledge. She was trying to make a bottle explode on school grounds without teacher supervision. Couple that with the fact that teenagers have been making drano & putting it on youtube....and on several occasions, causing serious burns and body injury, you got yourself more than enough reason to crucify her. Not sure if this was an attempt at a Drano bomb but, if you've ever seen one go off, you know kids + school = recipe for disaster. This girl is a complete idiot to try it at school.

Charging her with a felony is a little harsh perhaps, if she had no intention of harming anyone and nothing happened....but she definitely deserves to be expelled. Again....she's an idiot. She's lucky it did not blow off her hand. Stop being paranoid, you tards. This is not big brother taking away your rights...this is an idiot girl that could harm some other person's kids.

"you tards"???? Sounds like a T&C violation to me.

She's an idiot? Is that how you talk to your children?

She's a kid. She's a good student with a good record. She experimented. She may have exercised poor judgment. She caused no harm. Kids make mistakes. It's a learning experience. It was an opportunity for the school to teach. Taking harsh punitive measures against this student is grossly excessive. Every adult involved in the situation has made worse decisions in dealing with the situation than the student made in running her experiment. If the adults at that school took the trouble to teach kids about the dangers of mixing certain chemicals together, and what can happen if they do, and what the punishment could be if they do, then you might have a point. But that's not this case. Next time you utter the phrase "you tards" through your keyboard, look in the mirror and drop the "s"! I hope you're not in a position of authority over others, especially children. Sad day that would be.
edit on 5/2/2013 by dubiousone because: tone it down.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The terrorist have won,since 911 we have become such a risk adverse punnany state afraid of our own shadows,wanna play cops N robbers?? face expulsion or at-least face time with the principal, teachers dare not brake-up a fight..call security while you watch kids bleed,do not offer assistance to a female if it requires you to unbutton her blouse, even in military boot camps there is now a thing called recruits time out..Oh I feel so faint N sweaty from doing double time can I sit on the side walk??... can't make colorful caters anymore because that's an offence...SEE THAT LADY DRESSED IN RED???.she makes her living in her bed!!! will get you in trouble instead of female recruits coming up with their own colorful caters about men. Let me be clear if folks should judge me by my politics I would come out liberal..but this nanny state thing is driving me CRAAZY!!!!.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

You (the High School, the American nation) should be offering this young lady a scholarship to study chemistry at university, not expelling her from school and charging her with felonies. Shame on your narrow minded paranoia.

Here's a quote on the article page. Which is entirely correct. When a child shows an interest in chemistry like this they should have all their programs shifted to accommodate the interest.

The girl probably had a very successful career in chemical engineering ahead of her. . .

I find this statement a bit delusional. A lot of kids LOVE blowing things up (cf Mentos+Soda), or even rocketry, but it's not an evidence of talent or real inclination to the subject of chemistry beyond curiosity. Some of my friends were building crude DIY firearms when they were kids, none of them are gunsmiths now.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Its page 10...if some of you aren't aware yet, this was not a science project and the girl was not innocently conducting experiments in hopes of increasing the world's knowledge. She was trying to make a bottle explode on school grounds without teacher supervision. Couple that with the fact that teenagers have been making drano bombs & putting it on youtube....and on several occasions, causing serious burns and body injury, you got yourself more than enough reason to crucify her. Not sure if this was an attempt at a Drano bomb but, if you've ever seen one go off, you know kids + school = recipe for disaster. This girl is a complete idiot to try it at school.

Did you just say that she's lucky she didn't blow off her hand and called "us"paranoid?

Sounds like you have nanny issues.

Safety is not something you want . Curiosity is not something to stifle.

All that leads to is your parqnoid version of life where everyone has to be supervised so as not to do anything remotly dangerous for fear of harming "the children".

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Its page 10...if some of you aren't aware yet, this was not a science project and the girl was not innocently conducting experiments in hopes of increasing the world's knowledge. She was trying to make a bottle explode on school grounds without teacher supervision. Couple that with the fact that teenagers have been making drano bombs & putting it on youtube...

I'm wondering what tune the dimwits who applaud the girl would sing, if God forbid their kid lost an eye as a result of that "experiment" on the school grounds.

I and my friends liked that sort of thing when we were kids, and it can be cool but it's still not right not is it safe.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
No more Vimtos in a cola bottle.
they are weapons of Mass destruction.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

So anyone who puts aluminum foil into toilet cleaner should be expelled from school, charged with a felony, losing the right to vote, to get a good job -- likely never go to college. Because of a momentary lapse of judgement and a harmless prank, the State has the authority to step in and destroy her whole life?

That is morally insane.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicorette

So anyone who puts aluminum foil into toilet cleaner should be expelled from school, charged with a felony, losing the right to vote, to get a good job -- likely never go to college. Because of a momentary lapse of judgement and a harmless prank, the State has the authority to step in and destroy her whole life?

That is morally insane.

I guess the consensus is that the LEA overreacted, at the same time a slight tap on the wrist is not appropriate either. I've seen glass in people's eyes resulting from "experimentation" in school.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Won't the same thing happen with a mentos and coke? So now are any kids doing that going to be charged with a felony?

We are way out of control here.

The next one to fart in clas will clearly have to go down for use of chemical / biological weapons...

Is this the world our parents wanted for us...is it the one we want for our kids...??

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Double post..

Double post..
edit on 2-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I dont know why I am suprised by this but the prosector who is charging Kiera with assault recently refused to pursue a case against a white kid who killed his brother with a BB gun.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Yet we don't have to go macro to get the whiff of racial bias in this case. The prosecutor who decided to throw the book at Kiera is one Tammy Glotfelty, an assistant state attorney in Florida. The officer who arrested Kiera named Glotfelty in his police report

From the police report:

I THEN CONTACTED ASSISTANT STATE ATTORNEY TAMMY GLOTFELTY VIA TELEPHONE. I ADVISED [HER] OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF THE CASE AND SHE ADVISED THIS OFFICER TO FILE THE CHARGES OF, POSSESSING OR DISCHARGING WEAPONS OR FIREARMS AT A SCHOOL SPONSORED EVENT OR ON SCHOOL PROPERTY F.S.S. 790.115 (1) AND MAKING, POSSESSING, THROWING, PROJECTING, PLACING, OR DISCHARGING ANY DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE F.S.S. 790.161 (A).

This case just got another dash of absurdity. I really hope a rational judge just throws this one out and doesnt damage the kid or her reputation any more.
edit on 2-5-2013 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

This is just plain ridiculous.

When I grow up, as a kid in the 1970's..
Every kid was doing these kind of things.

Soda bottle rockets.
Sugar-smoke makers.
Hot Air mini balloons.

Kids nowadays, if they are not allowed to play with simple physics experiments..
..they will never get interested in science!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I saw this on fBook. I thought Snopes said it was false.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I will say it again.... *sigh*

Punishment does NOT fit the "crime"

Did it sink in yet???

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Oh #!

I swear I'm just holding these Mentos for a friend. I swear it.

Cant wait to see what the backlash, if any, is when the kids in this hyper paranoid police state become adults.

Umbrella lock downs, zero tolerance and cowering for live fire drills in the halls is bound to do something to their minds. My guess would be exacerbate the rift between the compliant and the non-compliant like never before.

Our school did thinks like that - they would hand out blanket detention on a whole class because of one kid acting the class clown. Just makes everyone despise authority and want to leave the country even more than if the one kid had been punished or taken out of school (he was a white kid from a troubled background, so they couldn't touch him).

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Its page 10...if some of you aren't aware yet, this was not a science project and the girl was not innocently conducting experiments in hopes of increasing the world's knowledge. She was trying to make a bottle explode on school grounds without teacher supervision. Couple that with the fact that teenagers have been making drano bombs & putting it on youtube...

I'm wondering what tune the dimwits who applaud the girl would sing, if God forbid their kid lost an eye as a result of that "experiment" on the school grounds.

I and my friends liked that sort of thing when we were kids, and it can be cool but it's still not right not is it safe.

One the girl was an exceptional Student, excellent grades, and for two,

Bah humbug...if it was a Football student who injured his eye in a game then it would be GO USA USA USA!

And if that football student raped, it would be a LOUDER

USA USA USA!

And Definately no felon, Ha probably not even a Suspension...and in fact, in one state, I believe
it was YeeHaw Texas, the victim would be forced to CHEER for him at a train de sheep pep rally and if she Refused,

Then the Courts would fine her and her family (this actually Happened btw) in the thousands...and the crowd cheers USA USA USA!!!

Go on India, beat our dumb hick asses in Science, and Technology and other developing nations as well,

ya might as well. We will scarf down toxic foods, watch reality shows, observe paramilitary tossing us out of our homes, fingering our children and teens at airports, be injected with autism causing vaccines, and touting the latest religious how to bend over and submit on Sunday and cheer, very loud, USA USA USA!!!! Why YEEEEEEEHHHHAAAAWWW we are SOOOO evolved! Next, feces tossing lessons, to become more dumb and ape like to please our Benevolant MASTERS! USA USA USA
edit on 2-5-2013 by ThreeBears because: Misspelling and adding a line for clarification

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join