It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon school runs 'active shooter' drill, masked men storm teachers lounge and "open fire"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Two masked men wearing hoodies and wielding handguns burst into the Pine Eagle Charter School in this tiny rural community on Friday. Students were at home for an in-service day, so the gunmen headed into a meeting room full of teachers and opened fire. Someone figured out in a few seconds that the bullets were not drawing blood because they were blanks and the exercise was a drill, designed to test Pine Eagle's preparation for an assault by "active shooters" who were, in reality, members of the school staff. But those few seconds left everybody plenty scared.

"I'll tell you, the whole situation was horrible," she said. "I got a couple in the front and a couple in the back." The surprised staff had received training from the Union County Sheriff's Office on active shooter scenarios. They had been told they had some options, such as not rushing out of their classrooms when gunfire erupted, and locking and barricading their doors. They weren't expecting a drill like this, and they were caught by surprise when the two men entered and began firing.

www.oregonlive.com...

I find this a pretty crazy drill to have. What if one of the teachers was holding a concealed weapon and pulled it out, shooting one of the masked gunmen involved in the drill? Or what if an elder staff member was so scared they had a heart attack?
The fact that schools even have to have drills like this in the first place is both sickening and heart breaking. I feel sorry for the staff that were most likely terrified when they saw the gunmen enter.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Im fine with this, if anything they should have every teacher practice their shooting ability and get them their CCW permits as well.
edit on 1-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Isildur1

We had a central office staff member barge into our school and run down our hallway. She got tackled and ended up with a visit to the hospital.

Sometimes these drills are ridiculous. Do we really want to condition our teachers and students this way?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
They should be practicing these type of drills. Along with fire, and natural disaster drills. I see nothing wrong with being prepared.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

We had a central office staff member barge into our school and run down our hallway. She got tackled and ended up with a visit to the hospital.

Sometimes these drills are ridiculous. Do we really want to condition our teachers and students this way?

Run aggressively in a bank, see what happens.

Schools hold more valuable assets than a bank ever could.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
They should be practicing these type of drills. Along with fire, and natural disaster drills. I see nothing wrong with being prepared.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

I am in agreement with you. The way things are now...these practice drills need to happen; but I am concerned about the drill procedures.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

This happened at one of our staff meetings maybe 10 years back. I was employed by a packaging company and were in the conference room when three guy dressed in trench coats wearing balaclavas storm in and told everybody to stay put. As they were walking aground the table me and three other guy were giving each other stares, we figured which ones would take down who in a couple of seconds. We pounced and were ready to demolished those idiots. The boss told us...well, yelled at us to stop until we realized it was a drill.

We gave the boss what for and nobody held back. What an idiotic thing to do. I always have a pocket knife on my person ever since I can remember. Just like you said in your OP what if some one was armed? "What if I had lost it and decided to stick the guy in the throat" I told him. And the boss seeing us react to the invasion the way we did, he knew it could very well have happened and an innocent would have died. We were all pretty shocked and P.O'ed. I hope this isn't a trend that gets popular, someone WILL get hurt.
edit on 1-5-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Run aggressively in a bank, see what happens.

Schools hold more valuable assets than a bank ever could.

No argument there. And we do practice intruder drills.

I'm just questioning the need for gunfire.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This makes less than no sense. Unless the teachers are armed and trained, what is the point of such a test? To see how fast they all hit the floor? Absurd.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

What if one of the teachers had a heart attack?

I understand the need for training and being prepared, but this seems a little overboard and heavy-handed.

And what kind of person would agree to go into a school unannounced and shoot blanks at teachers?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
if I were in that room i'd probably try rushing them to death at an opportune time.

dangerous FOR THEM.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This will give a window of opportunity to any criminal looking to do some harm.
All he has to do is figure out when the drills will occur.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
That would be traumatizing
What if they would have caused a death by heart attack?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I fully agree with you. Sometimes people do not consider the consequences of such events and it begs a rethink on the part of those who pull them off.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
They should focus on educating the kids properly instead of worrying about what ifs. The USA is already far behind in education.

Yeah I know... Public schools are a sham.
edit on 1-5-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join