Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Is Christianity what Jesus would have wanted?

page: 1
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Is Christianity what Jesus would have wanted?

Most of the Eastern and Western religions preach that we are not to idolize the language, words or icons and documents of their religions. Yet many do including Christianity which idolizes Jesus and the Word of God, a book.

Note that God the Father of the O T is hardly mentioned in churches at all. That will not surprise those of high morals as that God is rather immoral. Jesus is a much better archetype for a God and perhaps that is why he has been allowed to usurp the top position in heaven as the judge of mankind. Only through me says Jesus.

Jesus preached to the poor and advocated that to follow him, people should give up what they own and follow him. I don’t think he actually meant that and only meant to not be greedy and to give liberally to the poor.

As I look around at what the churches and various Christian sects are doing, I see them ignoring this vow of poverty or sharing as they amass as much wealth as they can while allowing starvation to consume many millions yearly. They prefer to build huge monuments and churches to their various sects instead of hospital for the poor for instance. Yes I do recognize that they do some charitable work and I applaud this but that does not negate the greed of the churches or their construction of self-aggrandizing monuments to themselves instead of aggrandizing Jesus.

Do you think Jesus would be proud of the churches that use and abuse his name by their self-aggrandizement and disregard for what he said the church should be?

If you are in one of these wealthy churches, and you likely are, Jesus will know which cup you chose.

Is your churche serving Jesus well?
If not, why are you supporting it?

Your church can be said to be idol worshipping Jesus or the Word of God.

Do you recognize that to give an unchanging form, theology or philosophy to either Jesus or the Word of God, you are idol worshipping?

In the broader sense, do you think Christianity is what Jesus would have wanted?

Regards
DL




posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
By far no,

The schisms in the church by denomination, and false teachings that abound would make him weep.

If Christians as a whole followed Christ, and not their "religion" we might be living in a different world entirely.



posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Is Christianity what Jesus would have wanted


Read Matthew 6 and you'll find your answer...

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.




posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am
 


No, I do not think it is what Jesus would have 'wanted,' but I do believe it is what He expected.

I have found myself called to Jesus and the Bible (mostly NT at the moment) lately, and I feel a deep connection with the teachings of Jesus.

However, it took me a very long time to come around to being open about the teachings simply because of the hypocrisy I have witnessed through many churches and those that call themselves Christians.

I believe that the average 'Christian' nowadays is the new equivalent of a Pharisee.



posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon
 


That passage also reminds me of Luke 18:9-14: The Parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector.

In short: When the Pharisee prays he gives thanks that he is not like the other people - the robbers, adulterers, and evildoers - or even like the tax collector. He states that he prays, fasts, and gives his share to charity.

The Tax Collector, however, stays back at a distance from the alter when he prays. He beats his chest and says 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

Jesus then says, 'I tell you [the tax collector], rather than the [Pharisee], went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

This is a passage I have been trying to take to heart lately.

Cheers.



posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by eleven44
reply to post by Greatest I am
 


No, I do not think it is what Jesus would have 'wanted,' but I do believe it is what He expected.

I have found myself called to Jesus and the Bible (mostly NT at the moment) lately, and I feel a deep connection with the teachings of Jesus.

However, it took me a very long time to come around to being open about the teachings simply because of the hypocrisy I have witnessed through many churches and those that call themselves Christians.

I believe that the average 'Christian' nowadays is the new equivalent of a Pharisee.


Ouch, you could be right; this new Pharisee has money abounding, so as a hybrid Saducce combined. I suspect Jesus would be reeling in the offput "This is what has occurred after all of the/MY tribulations the END result". I do not think the point was to create 1001 separate exposes 'religious formats' to explain GOD through a Son. If I were Jesus I would be looking for the next best package deal to Vegas, play some blackjack and hole up in a nice penthouse suite at the MGM Grand; avoiding once again my dismal fate.
edit on 2-5-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by eleven44
reply to post by Akragon
 


That passage also reminds me of Luke 18:9-14: The Parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector.

In short: When the Pharisee prays he gives thanks that he is not like the other people - the robbers, adulterers, and evildoers - or even like the tax collector. He states that he prays, fasts, and gives his share to charity.

The Tax Collector, however, stays back at a distance from the alter when he prays. He beats his chest and says 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

Jesus then says, 'I tell you [the tax collector], rather than the [Pharisee], went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

This is a passage I have been trying to take to heart lately.

Cheers.


I personally love that parable.

I will not speak in place of Jesus but he did address the sheep and the goat in Revelations...

I can not also speak for all the churches. They have a role in this grand painting. What their role was will be revealed. I have an inkling as to what their purpose is but I'll wait to see.

What I try and do is not judge and have my status of salvation in the forefront in my mind. Point being, just like the tax collector, I do not worry about the character of another, like the Pharisee, but rather myself.



posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think if Jesus came back today, he'd be disgusted by what his teachings have turned into. Churches on every street corner in America is not what he envisioned. Jesus didn't say to meet up in a building every week with a couple hundred other people to pray out loud, he said to pray in secret and alone. But they don't teach that part in church, at least they didn't in mine.

Jesus denounced wealth, yet the institution he supposedly founded is the wealthiest in the world. How ironic.

Most Christians put more effort into making money than they do worshiping their god. A few hours on Sunday doesn't even compare to a 5 day, 40 hour week of work. Didn't Jesus say something about not being able to serve two masters at once? I guess the world didn't get that memo.
edit on 2-5-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am
 





Originally posted by Greatest I am
Is Christianity what Jesus would have wanted?


No, I don’t believe it is…Jesus didn’t come to bring another religion IMO, He came to bring people closer to God…



Matthew 23:15
15 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.


I see a huge parallel with what Jesus was warning the Pharisees (in Matthew 23 verse 15) about, which is similar to what many Christian denominations do, when they teach doctrines, and try to get men to just accept them etc. Where as Jesus wanted believers to be taught by the Father, through the receiving of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus was all about brining people into a relationship with the Father God again, where as most Christian denominations out there, just want men to blindly accept and believe in their doctrines…


- JC



posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am
 


As I sit here wondering about this God notion concept. WHO TOLD ME I NEEDED IT and why would I have to believe it AND HOW ARE THEMS/THEY going to convince me that there is something out there that will explain my being to myself (not going to show itself to me ALL FAITH BASED). Ridiculous.



posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am
 


You're question is nonsensical and illogical... But I'll try to answer it.

Without Christ there is no 'Christianity'... If you take the Christ out of Christian all you're left with is Ian and Ian can't save you...



posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration
 

Seriously, RevGen,
the question is whether Jesus would approve of the direction(s) "Christianity" has gone. I happen to think he'd be appalled.



posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
From what I understand of Jesus, he seems to subscribe to the individual rather than the church. The individual and how we treat and respect others WAS his church, not the church as a mass orginisation.

I don't believe Jesus would expect us to worship him either but to treat others with respect and kindness.

So no, I think Jesus would hate what religion and the church has become.



posted on May, 5 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit
From what I understand of Jesus, he seems to subscribe to the individual rather than the church. The individual and how we treat and respect others WAS his church, not the church as a mass orginisation.

I don't believe Jesus would expect us to worship him either but to treat others with respect and kindness.

So no, I think Jesus would hate what religion and the church has become.


That is not true. Jesus openly accepted worship because he is God.

Matthew 28:9 And behold, Jesus met them and said, “Greetings!” And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him.

Matthew 14:33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

John 20:28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”
edit on 5-5-2013 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration
 


That is not true. Jesus openly accepted worship because he is God.

Where did you hear that, please?



posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by RevelationGeneration
 


That is not true. Jesus openly accepted worship because he is God.

Where did you hear that, please?


Read the New Testament. I also posted some verses above did you not see?



posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration
 


Yes, I saw.
You have a very warped idea, in my opinion, of what Jesus was trying to teach.
It was not about "fear". It was about being altruistic, humble, and giving.

He NEVER demanded worship. (Yes, I'm aware that you said he "welcomed" it.)
edit on 5-5-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 5 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by RevelationGeneration
 


Yes, I saw.
You have a very warped idea, in my opinion, of what Jesus was trying to teach.
It was not about "fear". It was about being altruistic, humble, and giving.

He NEVER demanded worship. (Yes, I'm aware that you said he "welcomed" it.)
edit on 5-5-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)


Maybe that's where we differ. I stand on the whole of God's word and not just the parts that make me 'feel' good.

The reality is Jesus taught more on Hell then anyone else in the Bible.

No one else but God is worshipped in the Bible and throughout the New Testament Jesus is worshipped as God. Jesus is ether a liar, a lunatic or Lord. His claims about himself leave no space open for him to simply be a good moral teacher, wise man or prophet.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.



posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration
 


Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but "proverbs" were WAY before Jesus even existed.
I was under the impression that 'Proverbs' were from Solomon's time.



posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes
 


You're not mistaken, but it seems like you are in some way trying to imply that the OT has no relevance for believers today? If you are you should know that the OT is not an outdated book. The Bible says that God is an unchanging God. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

2 Timothy 3:16-"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness..."

The book of Proverbs & Psalms are referred to as 'wisdom literature' and are even sometimes combined with modern New Testament Bibles.





new topics

top topics



 
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join