It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska Man Fights Off Bear, Walks Away with Minor Injuries

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Cool story.

My uncle took out a black bear with a knife. He doesn't need to pay for beers at the local pub anymore.

Man armed with knife kills hungry bear

Haha! Awesome story! If he is a blood relative, you surely have the warrior juice running through your veins!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

There was a news report on a guy that a Grizzley came out of nowhere in Turnigain Pass many years back. Attacked so quick his .306 was knock out of his hand, as he was been ripped apart be pulled out his .22 pistol and in the one place under their head got him with one shot and dropped him. Their skulls a so thick penatration of a full round 9mm can't drop one, great story.

Again Jean Moe from M&M, killed a bear with a pocket knife, begged Tom Frolic from the local 867 cement union to shoot him, just kill him, he survived and still does concrete. Holy cow

To Add: So a guide takes a few people out on a heavily wooded area to view the wildlife, the guide then pulls out his .45 and it was so smooth, no sharp or hard edges.. Confused the tourist asked why his gun looked like that, he said to him, we'll when I empty the clip, it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up my A$&
edit on 1-5-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Never been to Kasilof...I'm going to try and get out this summer and get my limit. With the price of salmon being what it is, it would be stupid of me not to fill my freezer.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Man smoked salmon is the best! I love to watch the tourists when I have my blade and .45 on my side in any store, at least nobody messes with me. My gun in the wild has saved me so many times. Well good luck in 7 weeks for the reds. I'll be getting my limit

Just bring a gun and prepare for the bear!
edit on 1-5-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)[/editby

I love the fact that my cabin is 20ff from the Kenai River, some of the richest property in Alaska.

Off topic. Man, if Woody H is on this site, my treat if you fly out Brother. Alaska Hospitality Style!
extra DIV

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

To be fair, the bear was injured and likely hadn't eaten for some time (had a broken jaw and no tongue). It may have been a more difficult feat if the bear was healthy.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by Covertblack

To be fair, the bear was injured and likely hadn't eaten for some time (had a broken jaw and no tongue). It may have been a more difficult feat if the bear was healthy.

Ah, well that levels the playing field. Still, I don't think I would want to mess with those claws.

I do always feel bad for starving bears, they are in desperation and attack humans when they normally wouldn't.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Former Alaskan myself (Kodiak). Can't say I'd EVER want to fight a bear hand to hand. This guy was EXTREMELY lucky. Pretty uncommon for a bear to just charge a human like that, but usually, they are more determined to just leave the area. Weird story, but glad he came out ok. I've seen semi trucks once, where the bears had torn them open to get at shipped food inside, and that certainly left me against the idea of pitting my fists against their claws.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Apparently this happens a lot in Alaska, this man Gene Moe killed a bear with a knife back in 1999 at the ripe age of 69 years old.

www.outdoorlife.com...

Just saw this story on animal planet, the man himself was on Wild West Alaska and showed the bear and knife hanging on his wall.
edit on 31-5-2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

The riverside of the Kasilof river is bushly. Any wild biologist I know has a pistol on their hip or have a professional guide with them. Guy was a idiot, plain an simple

top topics

<< 1   >>

join