It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska Man Fights Off Bear, Walks Away with Minor Injuries

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Father of the year?

"The bear is coming, it's coming towards us!" yelled 11-year-old Grace Burke to her father.

That's when the bear bounded towards them and Toby Burke yelled to his wife, "Get behind me!"

Toby Burke grabbed the first thing in sight: his scope attached to a 6-foot-long tripod. "I put the scope sideways into the bear's mouth, keeping it away, and it swatted at the scope and severed it," he said.

"It was just me between my family and the bear," he said. "At that point, I made physical contact. All I could do was put my left arm up. Then its mouth clamped down on my forearm. So I remember hitting it in the face with my right arm."

They always say: Dont get between a mother bear and her cub. Well, this guy may make the mother bear want to think twice!
abcnewsradioonline.com...
ETA: to add link. Thank BH! Cant believe I forgot it!
edit on 1-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Amazing story! You forgot the link.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I've heard they breed em tough up there I guess this is proof of that

After several minutes of scuffling, the bear gave up and ran away,

I'd pay to see that , I bet the bear was embarrassed

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I have had a sow jump up and down on my cooler bout 3am on Clear Creek in the interior of Alaska. Dropped a bag of Doritos in between my tent and my friends, when she sat between us she laid on 2/3 of my tent. 3+ encounters with Mama bear on that trip,

My cooler survived wrapped in Alaska Airlines duct tape, I brought back the biggest piece of it which was 1sqft of the lid, the first night we found it 3/4 of a mile up river. I had it hung over ten feet in a tree.

One of the most dangerous encounter to have, bears are extremely unpredictable. I've been a resident for over 30 years. Now can I buy some more ammo, mr oshrama

BTW, S&F, please don't feed the bears (seriously!)

edit on 1-5-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The closest encounter Ive ever had with a bear was waking up while camping, getting ready for an early morning fishing trip, only to find a bear sitting in my boat licking anything any everything in there (seriously, there was a nice thick film of bear spit EVERYWHERE).

I was probably 75 feet away from it, and that was far to close for my taste. I will never forget that smell.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Kasilof is just a few miles from me, guess I think the news it too much Drabble for me to waste my time. This town is so small how the hell did I not hear about this, Kasilof Tesoro is a regular stop for me?!

Phhhhht tourists, what kind of man takes himself or his family out here without gun protection? Most likely the guy was a office puke, or had no idea about Alaska wildlife.. IMHO the guy asked for it. I have had moose chase me down, wolves, bears. Boyscouts didn't do me wrong. Pack a gun! Bear mace is made for coffee girls in this state for predators. See my thread -Samatha Koenig kidnapped and killed by local contractor-!

Good thread, ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS, always!

Any marine, soldier of any branch will tell you the same

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
oh yea? well I fought off a lady bug off my arm!!
i'm so tough

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

The guy's a wildlife biologist. Its fairly safe to assume he has some knowledge of whats out there. On top of that, if you read the article, it states that it is a somewhat popular bird watching spot. There were other people out there on the beach. Its not like they were deep in the bush.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

Cute

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yep.

What can I say, we're awesome up here. Bears don't attack us, we attack the bears.

Yes sir, he's def. one of our own!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

I've heard they breed em tough up there I guess this is proof of that

After several minutes of scuffling, the bear gave up and ran away,

I'd pay to see that , I bet the bear was embarrassed

Got you covered:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Father of the year indeed! Give that man a medal!

I remember several years ago while speaking to a sled dog musher, he recounted a story of him in the woods and encountered a bear with cubs. All but one of his dogs ran away at the sight of the bear, the dog putting himself between the man and the bear. The dog growled and charged the bear several times until it ran off. That dog he told me with a smile has a special place on his bed at night.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I think that's my neighbor!

If the worst thing in Alaska is Sarah Palin, I think we're doing pretty good.
edit on 1-5-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Okay, but would you take the risk to be attacked or not... I walk up and down east of the Kasilof river, fresh bear poop everywhere, I stop every 30ft and take 30seconds to be aware of everything, he was a biologist. Not a woods man, most men attacked by a bear will tell you that in some way they were the ones who provoked. Bears are very territorial, more than us, most likely he was the one putting himself and his family at risk, but the dude survived, can't wait till I meet him at the local Trustworthy Hardware telling his story.

I will shake his hand. I've been trampled by a moose when I was 17, drinking "too much soda?!" And a few friends decided to jump on a young bull on are porch after feeding him apples... Totally provoked him

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Btw, .05 miles of the hwy upstream or down stream of Kasilof is Deep Woods, have you been there?
I fished there all last summer and saw up to 3-4 bears damn near each time.

Do I need to send you a pic of what it looks like Down the trail and Prove that it is classified as deep woods

People have gotten lost or reported missing in less than a half mile from main roads out here

Want a Real Man the survived a mauling in a surprise attack!

Jean Moe, most bravest man I have ever met in the concrete trade. If you don't I'll elaborate for you.
It will make this guy looked like he moon the bear and got away with a sratch!

But again Kudos to the BioMan

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
That is one lucky man. Very few people survive a Brown Bear attack.They usually don't stop attacking like that. I believe there might have been some divine intervention .

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Okay I love the pic at the Kasilof river Tesoro of the tourist holding up a cub with the mama standing behind him on two in the pic, makes me laugh everytime!

When I swing in there ill make sure to take a pic and upload it if you don't first.
The guy has the funniest pics in that gas station, I recommend everyone e to drop by there at least once for a viewing

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Cool story.

My uncle took out a black bear with a knife. He doesn't need to pay for beers at the local pub anymore.

Man armed with knife kills hungry bear

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Closest encounter with a bear... Yellowstone National Park. I was a kid, but the adults left our cooler outside.
It was a heavy-duty Coleman type. We awoke in the night to the bear attacking it, rolling it over and over, pouncing on it and hitting it fiercely and finally it popped open, as the bear knew it would. He proceeded to take items out, move to a sheltered area and eat them. While he was gorging on bacon, my older brother ran out and got the cooler and locked it in the car.

Fortunately, the rangers showed up and somehow encouraged the bear to go elsewhere.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

If you see a bear you leave if you not prepared for the worst. PERIOD!

I have been within a foot of a 750lb sow, scary is too far off to give you what was going through my head, doesn't matter if he's a 100 yards from you. Jezuz! It like I'm taking craZy pills. It's a freaking bear, stay the hell away from it unless you going after to kill it.

BTW Scooter Hackett of Soldotna got into the Davy Crokett list for his world record grizzly in Alaska. It's head was Four times the size of his, and Scooter's head is fat!

Analogy: prepared to do the crime, prepare to do the time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join