It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Boy And His Atom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It's amazing that we can "observe" individual atoms at all.

Now IBM have created a short animation using Carbon atoms on a Copper plate as pixels.

They are researching memory storage using individual atoms.

They want to inspire kids to learn Science and Technology

It's like looking at the future, comparing "pong" in the 70's to the x-boxes of today...

They use the method of atom capture and detection to manipulate the carbon atoms around.

Once they are moved, they stay in that position because they bond with copper atoms in the plate.

Link to BBC

Fascinating stuff.

Tfw.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yes very amazing indeed! Makes me feel dumb

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

Well, you know about it now,

so you're a little less dumb than before.

edit on 1/5/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: Unicorns?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
One of the most interesting parts of that second video was when the scientist says...

Then in order to move the Atom, we observe that we have a sharp metal needle near it...

Sounds like Schrödinger's theory of quantum physics to me.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

wow, both fascinating and somewhat mindblowing.. it's amazing what you can learn in under three minutes of the right viewing

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

It's actually quite nuts & bolts...

They "hear" the atom as it moves...

They use an electric current to hold and move the atoms.

In a scanning tunneling microscope

Tfw.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I was about to make a thread on this as well. The search works fine ppl!
Completely mindblown was I!

What I was wondering (hope someone can enlighten me), when you see the single carbon monoxide atom, you see concentric 'waves' surrounding it. When there are multiple atoms near each other, there is visible wave node points....
I'm not sure what I'm asking... So, let me try and get my head around this. Are those wave patterns the electrons spinning around it??

What would be happening here if we were not observing it? Would that wave diffraction be visible (edit- "happening not visible per se").

(Please be gentle, I struggle to get my head around atoms, none of it makes much sense, and it hurts my noggin thinking about it!)

edit on 1-5-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I'm rather cross this epic little movie is receiving so little attention on ATS....

By all means everybody, post another gun thread before we run out!

(sorry... for my mini-rant, was not quite enough to make a real rant thread about!
)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

You must be thinking of Carbon-Monoxide Man...

This is similar but different...

What you are seeing are Carbon atoms on a Copper surface.

They are imaged by measuring electric currents and visualising the patterns on a screen.

Link

Electrons do not "Orbit" as such, rather they are everywhere within their "shell" or energy level.

the rings we see are "standing waves". Electrons are not solid bits, but quanta of energy.

Wiki : Wave/Particle Duality

In Scanning Tunnel microscopy we see electron wave phenomena,

Like ripples on a vibrating pool of water....

Scanning Tunnel microscopy is based on the so-called tunneling current, which starts to flow when a sharp tip approaches a conducting surface at a distance of approximately one nanometer.

Explanation

This is an animated Gif, explaining how it works...

What you see is the electronic structure of the atom (electron shells),

the density of electronic states (energy of the electrons).

Each wave represents a change in the density of electronic states

as the Carbon atoms interact with the Copper atoms on the plate.

We see this as waves with heights of a few picometers.

What do atoms really look like?

Hope this helps.

Tfw.

edit on 2/5/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: there is a reason for everything

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The truely amazing thing about this, in my opinion, is not that it was possible for A Boy And His Atom to be made, but that the technology required to do this has reached a stage where any company or organisation could afford to make an animation using that technology, for what amounts to no reason, other than to advertise the technique and the company behind the animation.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Wow! Great bunch of info! So.. Hmmm... Nope, it's still not making sense in my head.

I remember this doco explaining about the 'levels' of the electron state. Like, floors on a building, and that they can just jump from level to level... Quantum malarky!

But I think what I'm trying to ask is about the double-slit experiment thing. Which still to this day my head is never happy at how it's explained.

So, are these ripples we see around the carbon monoxide atom (molecule should I say?), are these patterns related to the node patterns we see during a double slit experiment?

Because, if it is... Hang on... *smacks brain* Don't scientists say the wave patterns disappear when they try and look at it through the slit? So, should those waves even be visible?

If they are, I'm assuming that is works in a spherical 'shell' in a third dimension we are not seeing?

Again thankyou for that report you made for me! I wish I could fully comprehend it, all I know is some crazy stuff happens when things get tiny.

Man... I wish old me now can go back in time and pay attention in school more!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Originally posted by TrueBrit
The truely amazing thing about this, in my opinion, is not that it was possible for A Boy And His Atom to be made, but that the technology required to do this has reached a stage where any company or organisation could afford to make an animation using that technology, for what amounts to no reason, other than to advertise the technique and the company behind the animation.

It's more to inspire kids than advertise IBM.

Who can afford a scanning tunneling microscope?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Well, I'm an old fart and it's really piqued my interest - which given my age and feeble head probably amounts to little. But when some kid in India (for arguments sake) see's this incredible animation and then the tech that made it possible, well he could become dedicated and passionate to learn more and make a career of it one day.

Science is about understanding really, and a core value I guess is to share knowledge.
There's probably 10's of millions to make this machine which was probably only being used by a select few. How can they have made a gift of it for the world to enjoy? The odd photo of an atom might not be that riveting.
By them making something like 'the boy and his atom' they have given back to society for not only joy, but as a beacon to the next generation of scientists!

Hats off and pants down to them I say!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
OH

I re-read for a third time, I think something clicked. So, it's not actually visible! As in, we are looking at a measurement of electric fields and not a 'photo' as it were!?

Please tell me I'm on the right track!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

I think what I'm trying to ask is about the double-slit experiment thing. Which still to this day my head is never happy at how it's explained.

Have you seen this video?

So, are these ripples we see around the carbon monoxide atom (molecule should I say?), are these patterns related to the node patterns we see during a double slit experiment?

Kind of, except that these are CARBON ATOMS. The D.S.E. uses Photons or electrons.

So, should those waves even be visible?

The "waves" are the changes in density of the electronic states (energy of the electrons)

of the Carbon atoms as they interact with the Copper atoms on the holding plate..

Hope that helped.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
OH

I re-read for a third time, I think something clicked. So, it's not actually visible! As in, we are looking at a measurement of electric fields and not a 'photo' as it were!?

Please tell me I'm on the right track!

BINGO!

Have a crisp.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Thanks again! Yeah I've seen that video before, but watched it again trying to edumacate me some more... Still seems wrong though. Electrons can't be aware, they are just electrons! Something always seems to be missing, the "Why is it so?" bit with a graspable answer that we can relate to in our macro world.

I can't believe how slow/thick I was to comprehend!

(edit: 4 flags is totally not fair for this thread
deserves so much better)
edit on 2-5-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Something always seems to be missing, the "Why is it so?" bit with a graspable answer that we can relate to in our macro world.

The scientists don't completely understand it either.

That's the beauty of it and that's why they want to inspire kids to learn Maths, science and technology.

This is really just the beginning.

Greater minds than ours are needed to understand the true nature of our reality.

At the moment they just call things "Spooky" or "Dark-whatever" when they reach a wall of ignorance.

I don't think you were slow to comprehend at all.

Thanks for the flag reference, bad timing or title, maybe.

I should have put "Atomic Nano Child Manipulates Carbon Atoms - Caught on Video!"

Tfw.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
pretty good animators.

ibm's new slogan;

ibm, from your grocery store register to the world's smallest movie made by moving atoms, you can check it out on youtube, yep that was us, take that mac.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman

Thanks for the flag reference, bad timing or title, maybe.

I should have put "Atomic Nano Child Manipulates Carbon Atoms - Caught on Video!"

Tfw.

Or
"Tech Sect's Shocking Boy Playing With Balls Movie!!!111!!"

Anyways, if anybody happens to work at IBM, hopefully you know I'm joking! But more importantly, thank you from my heart for the time and energy you put in (and removed in the form of heat) to create this movie.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join