It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are alcoholics, winos, and sugar addicts just craving Vitamin C? "Of course" says the OP

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

My two cents: I've been taking 10,000 mg of C for 30 years, and until 5 years ago, I was a total sugar addict. I stopped because I forced myself. I'm also an alcoholic whether I take C or not. So I'd say "of course not!"

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebtheb

My two cents: I've been taking 10,000 mg of C for 30 years, and until 5 years ago, I was a total sugar addict. I stopped because I forced myself. I'm also an alcoholic whether I take C or not. So I'd say "of course not!"

Point well taken, that seems to be the consensus. More importantly, how do you feel after taking adequate amounts of C for 30 years? You gave yourself a great gift there.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Interesting idea.

Got any actual evidence?

None at all. That was my question in the thread's title "Are alcoholics, winos, and sugar addicts just craving Vitamin C?" Then I gave my guess "Of course", mainly because I've had a good experience with Vitamin C. It's essential for the human body, and I was wondering if wine and other sweet alcohol drinks trick the brain into thinking, by sight and taste alone, that it has gotten some Vitamin C. It wants a lot of it, so maybe it keeps on driinking in order to "get more" (kind of thinking out loud here), and from there gets itself hooked on the drugs themselves. Then, if that makes any sense at all, I thought "What if they were given adequate Vitamin C intake every day for at least three months, would it change anyone's drinking behaviour.", because I don't know. It's something I would like to know, and am wondering if anybody really does.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Originally posted by soficrow

Interesting idea.

Got any actual evidence?

It's essential for the human body, and I was wondering if wine and other sweet alcohol drinks trick the brain into thinking, by sight and taste alone, that it has gotten some Vitamin C. It wants a lot of it, so maybe it keeps on driinking in order to "get more" (kind of thinking out loud here), and from there gets itself hooked on the drugs themselves. Then, if that makes any sense at all, I thought "What if they were given adequate Vitamin C intake every day for at least three months, would it change anyone's drinking behaviour.", because I don't know. It's something I would like to know, and am wondering if anybody really does.

Wine and other alcohols don't contain Vit. C. It has to be added now if you want it in there. There would there fore be no connection. There are more powerful antioxidants than Vit. C in wine. Maybe you could look into some of those to further your research.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I read all this while I watch a show on how they make Jack Daniels. I'll take my Jack,hold the C.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BriGuyTM90

Originally posted by Aleister
It's essential for the human body, and I was wondering if wine and other sweet alcohol drinks trick the brain into thinking, by sight and taste alone, that it has gotten some Vitamin C. It wants a lot of it, so maybe it keeps on driinking in order to "get more" (kind of thinking out loud here), and from there gets itself hooked on the drugs themselves. Then, if that makes any sense at all, I thought "What if they were given adequate Vitamin C intake every day for at least three months, would it change anyone's drinking behaviour.", because I don't know. It's something I would like to know, and am wondering if anybody really does.

Wine and other alcohols don't contain Vit. C. It has to be added now if you want it in there. There would there fore be no connection. There are more powerful antioxidants than Vit. C in wine. Maybe you could look into some of those to further your research.

I know they don't contain Vitamin C, and the portion you quoted says that. Talks about "trick the brain into thinking, by sight and taste alone, that it has gotten some Vitamin C" - meaning that when something is made to resemble and tastes of fruit, like wine, that maybe the body thinks it is a source of C and continues to drink it to obtain more, and in the process becomes addicted to the substance itself.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I purchased some lipospheric Vit C - little sachets of 1000mg of vit c each, however it also says that they contain 12% alcohol, as a preservative, and that if you don't want the alcohol, you have to open the sachet and let it air for 15 minutes for the alcohol to evaporate... ?!

I'm taking one a day, and I've yet to notice any substantial difference, maybe if I take two a day I might, however they're £30 a pack (of 30) - I'm not about buying too much more before attempting, or not, the home made stuff.

I started taking them, because vit c tablets usually help me get over a lingering cough/cold - I still have this one, a week or so later, but maybe that's because I'm also doing more stuff, and not resting enough.

just my tuppence worth.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Thanks. imho - it's a factor - might be more info in self-medication studies?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CrastneyJPR

Same here ... I also take vit. D, fish oil, and multi vit. .. and notice that I`m still fat .. still a diabetic, and still drink too much ... maybe its minerals my body craves ?? Just saying.
On another note I know someone who researches his problems and is cured by whatever herb or vitamin he chooses for help.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I still don't understand why people drink that s---.

Seriously its a diluted poisonous solvent.

I see alot of people abusing opioiod based pain pills and snorting crap up thier nose. Wow...

Why inhale that s--- into your lungs? Do you want to die of cancer?
edit on 3-5-2013 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

New cocktail recipe. Unsure of vit c content. But alc vol content high.

2 measures saffron gin - Gabriel boudier
1 measure vodka
1/2 measure triple sec
1/2 measure agave syrup

3 Granny Smith apples juiced
1/2 handful mint
Handful parsley.

Mix alcohol over ice
Juice all apples and herbs
Shake in shaker
Pour over ice and alcohol
Stir

Top up with tonic or fizzy water

Winner.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfharmonise

New cocktail recipe. Unsure of vit c content. But alc vol content high.

2 measures saffron gin - Gabriel boudier
1 measure vodka
1/2 measure triple sec
1/2 measure agave syrup

3 Granny Smith apples juiced
1/2 handful mint
Handful parsley.

Mix alcohol over ice
Juice all apples and herbs
Shake in shaker
Pour over ice and alcohol
Stir

Top up with tonic or fizzy water

Winner.

This really puts our world into perspective, when its ok to consume and to talk about and promote the use of a poisonous solvent that has a plethera of negative side effects, damages internal organs and causes more death than all other banned substances combined, some thing is seriously wrong with our society. I really don't understand why its taboo to talk about compounds that have a lot of positive mental and physical health effects and are completely nontoxic but are labelled as bad. Yet here's one of the most dangerous addictive and physically harmful substances that not only kills people but has ruined millions of peoples lives do to addiction and here is a recipe to make it taste better. IT TASTE HORRIBLE FOR A REASON. Sorry to the OP for this being a little off topic but I felt the need to say it. Also OP has a really good theory and I haven't been trying to ridicule it I've just been trying to make sure there was some sort of substance behind your theory wich I think there might be. If no one ever challenges your you ideas you never have an incentive to prove them to be right. The double blind study you came up with is a good idea and I would be intrested in the results if it is ever performed.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BriGuyTM90

Hey, thanks. Yes, it sounds like a good double-blind, but who would fund such a thing unless a big monied do-gooder got serious and started to carve out the Vitamin C landscape into information data-packets. In other words, many more medical studies should be done on Vitamin C and its short and long-term effects on different illnesses and conditions, and publicize C as an essential key to optimum health.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by selfharmonise

Thanks for the recipe. I bet a few people reading the thread will love it. I stick to simple rum and pineapple juice when I drink, easy to make and mix. But I know people with basement bars who like trying new mixes.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BriGuyTM90

Thanks for your feedback.

Every thing in moderation - you seem really miserable.

I come from a teetotal baptist upbringing where alcohol was banned, so have had to overcome an unhealthy attitude towards alcohol built in by religious programming. I chose to accept that it wasn't going to kill me to have a glass of wine or cocktail now and again.

I love being able to experiment with tasty concoctions, an not get blazing drunk.

It brings me joy to make the odd cocktail for friends.

I agree that the pressure to drink alcohol is prevalent in our society.

Have you tried lipo c? It lifted my mood greatly...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join