State of the World 2013: Is Sustainability Still Possible?

page: 1

join

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

In the latest edition of Worldwatch Institute’s State of the World series, scientists, policy experts, and thought leaders tackle these questions, attempting to restore meaning to sustainability as more than just a marketing tool. In State of the World 2013: Is Sustainability Still Possible?, experts define clear sustainability metrics and examine various policies and perspectives, including geoengineering, corporate transformation, and changes in agricultural policy, that could put us on the path to prosperity without diminishing the well-being of future generations. If these approaches fall short, the final chapters explore ways to prepare for drastic environmental change and resource depletion, such as strengthening democracy and societal resilience, protecting cultural heritage, and dealing with increased conflict and migration flows.

State of the World 2013 cuts through the rhetoric surrounding sustainability, offering a broad and realistic look at how close we are to fulfilling it today and which practices and policies will steer us in the right direction.

[LINK] - Worldwatch Institute

I've just read a summary of this publication, and I found it extremely interesting and highly agreeable. Unfortunately it was in my native language - danish - so you'll have to make do with this shorter version I found on their own homepage.
The first 28 pages of the report are available if you click on the link.

The solutions presented are pretty radical, and will most likely seem controversial to some. But from what I've read, I'd have to say, I think they are right.

Enjoy!
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wow! Thats a long step but it sounds like it will benefit us in the long run

join