It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On CNN ex CIA expert say the suspects could not have made the bomb, it was too complicated

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadarOReilly
I have a doctoral degree in neuroscience, so I'm not completely stupid, but I know nothing of explosives, detonation, or the physics/thermodynamic underpinnings of all this. I work around exceptionally brilliant people and have for years and here's one thing I know - never underestimate another's intelligence or ability.

Did these two build those bombs? I think they probably did. Did they have help? I think they probably did. Did our government help? I don't tend to think that way. Call me Sheeple. Call me maybe. Call me whatever, but I just don't tend to think along the lines that our government is THAT evil. Evil, yes.

But not that evil.

'never underestimate another's intelligence or ability. '

Very well said, as soon as you assume anything you are on the wrong path.
I know a lot about computers and how the internet works but if anyone looks up my education will see I have never taken a class in my life on how to say hack someone or sabotage a website but I do, thankflly I use this knowledge to help people that these 'crimes' happen to. To some it may seem difficult, in some (a lot) of cases it is but I find as humans we love a challenge.

Also the older brother Tamerlan spoke 7 languages it has been said, I find that to be highly intelligent and wouldn't write him off being able to learn anything, Everythings all like learning a language at first.
First you know nothing, then you know something and over time and patience you will grow better at it.
So they must have practised with bombs before the actual bombing.

edit on 1-5-2013 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I have zero training in explosives however I know that I could wire up a mobile phone to make a detonator and I also know that online there are a whole bunch of websites that will teach people who to build a bomb.

Honestly if you really put enough effort into it you could probably figure out how to build a nuke using the Internet.

It’s really not very difficult to do a few Google searches and teach yourself some chemistry and a little bit of electronics and there you go, you have yourself a bomb.

have you ever tried to do detailed soldering on a circuit board?
takes a wee bit of practice
also designing circuits involving ICs ( integrated circuits )is not so easy

Well, I could do it, easy peasy, front to back, blank sheet of paper to working demo, but then I'm ostensibly an electronics and explosives expert.

I'd have to ask how this guy being quoted knows jack-diddly about the device, though. I'd expect it to be pretty much unrecognizable after the bang. And even if not, how does this guy get a schematic of it from the FBI? Why would HE have access to the design? And what's so tough about self-test circuitry? Seriously, for a fuze about all you can tell is that it's connected and not shorted out, a decision you can make with a 30 cent window comparator.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I have been hoping to find the clip I saw on CNN as per the OP
so far this is the closest I have been able to get

it does raise another perspective though

Investigators said the two Boston Marathon bombs were triggered by long-range remote controls for toy cars - a more sophisticated design than originally believed - bolstering a theory that the older suspect received bomb-making guidance on his six-month trip to Russia last year.

www.sott.net...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Wow, that's sort of interesting. Don't think I've seen that warning before.

ETA: might be amusing to do a design right here for fun, but if it's like Fark, the mods will frown on that.
edit on 1-5-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

yeah, new post stomper on me too
well, sorry mods I had no idea
have a nice day

ps
is there a list of those banned sites somewhere?

on topic
Thanks Bedlam good points
I'm really trying to find the vid, and if what you say is true, and I know a little about it too, so I am not countering you here, I'd like to know why CNN put him on
edit on 1-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Wow, that's sort of interesting. Don't think I've seen that warning before.

ETA: might be amusing to do a design right here for fun, but if it's like Fark, the mods will frown on that.
edit on 1-5-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

Roger that.
One might want to know someday how to counter that type of set up in the same vien as Taggert posted re internet shenanigans...but there are limits to safe sensible public discourse.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Ohhh you mean Sibel Edmonds (not edwards) that women who was employed as a contractor for the FBI to translate Turkish who was then fired her after only about six months because she was crap at her job and now spends all her time bad mouthing American intelligence and claiming to have inside knowledge of just about everything and anything….

I couldn't agree more. I know that many here and many of the more popular "alternative news" podcasters say glowing things about her, but there is something about Sibel Edmonds' credentials that don't merit her being an authority on such a wide array of topics. I've listened to and watched several interviews with her and always find myself questioning her credibility and why her "theories" are not more heavily scrutinized.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

It would be a lot of fun, though.

We could investigate various explosives you can make from stuff you can nab in your local area, stuff you can make from things you buy online and the like, how to fake being a company for the purposes of purchasing reagents from chemical supply houses, which "wildcat" suppliers will sell you what you need as a "kit" for some hardcore explosives synthesis (hint hint it's someone you see talked about on ATS a LOT named 'Bob'), how to process farm chemicals, how to purchase explosives 'legally' over the counter and use them for something else and so on.

Then electronics - we could cover a LOT of approaches from the butt simple to the fiendishly clever, and we could actually pull off a few of them here, design,layout, parts purchasing, pcb fab, on board firmware, assembly and the like. Including devices that are targeted more for the EOD teams and cops.

There's a whole category for suckering in LEOs and their support teams that could be explored, based on how they're trained.

But hey, we once were going to start a joke website called 'ieds r us' that was going to offer all sorts of premade stuff that you couldn't actually order because the credit card sw was always offline, but one of my slave masters had a rather bitter objection so we dropped it. I don't imagine recasting it as a stellar series of ATS topics would be any more attractive to them. Alas.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
It was done to remind us all that the fear of radiacal islam cannot be forgotton and it hasnt gone away, and that even your neighbour could be terrorist.

That way it'll always be on your mind...a contstant message subliminal telling you "be scared, it's for your own good".

Respectfully Snipped By Me

As an American well versed in global affairs it is troubling that as a nation we refuse to acknowledge our nation's own hypocrisy and continued unjust actions across the globe. One thing our government has mastered is pointing the finger of blame and shame towards others while failing to conduct any self-examination. While I do not condone the actions of individuals motivated by religion to commit acts of violence, I also acknowledge that our own country's actions play a major role in and act as a catalyst for such actions. Today we are told the enemy is radical Islam and when we've tapped that well dry and such acts continue there will be another player to be labeled as the enemy. I was always taught that when you and someone else have disagreements and both your actions were wrong, the only way to reach an understanding is when both parties admit to and apologize for their past deeds and through words and actions begin to right the wrongs. Sadly I have no hope our government will ever do this with any of the so many nations and groups we need to in order to begin a dialogue and achieve some sort of peace.

-- End Rant--

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I'm really trying to find the vid, and if what you say is true, and I know a little about it too, so I am not countering you here, I'd like to know why CNN put him on

It's an interesting point, that.

I've often seen MSM, and particularly the more lefty leaning ones, not do proper vetting if the supposed 'expert' was pushing a line they wanted to present as truth.

Case in point - Jesse Macbeth, a poster child for a few minutes until his story fell apart. There was another big 'expose' on either Slate or Vanity Fair featuring a supposed operator who had 'seen the light' and was ready to 'spill the story' on atrocities etc, but it took me maybe 30 minutes to figure out the guy was a Guardie in Alabama, whose work duty was mostly driving vehicles around for the motorpool.

Seriously, "how do you know details about this, and why was it intact" should be any good reporter's immediate reply. But if it sounds like what they want to believe/push, it'll get softballed.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NickDC202

As a sometime barman, in one rocknroll bar we had a locally famous saying on the wall:
" be good or be gone"
point being
we didn't nesessarily toss the combatants
we tossed the instigators

I can't help feeling most of the combatants are being instigated
Thats why I referenced abledanger ( sybil edmonds questionable...OK, how come no one took on abledanger like that? )
and also no one posted details to support their opinons on edmonds to match the ACLU opinion, just invective.

the ACLU said "patriot" and Abledanger confirmed her suspicions in their own way...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

sigh, naturalnews.com is like the worst source ever. It's worse than infowars.com and beforeitsnews..... that's saying something.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

sigh, naturalnews.com is like the worst source ever. It's worse than infowars.com and beforeitsnews..... that's saying something.

sorry Ghost,
but by your own definition:
insulting a source with no reference is just bringing yourself down to their level....

except they occasionally source
edit on 1-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I have maintained from day one that the pupose of the device was flash, flame noise and the minimum number of death and damage possible.

Oklahoma and the 1st 9/11 attack was the starter.

9/11 was the main course.

Now, while your still having problems digesting the first two courses, they give you Boston as dessert.

I actually meant to say -

"Oklahoma and the first WTC attack was the starter" and not "1st 9/11 attack.."

An error on my behalf...sorry for any confusion.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

I understand where you are coming from, no offense taken.

But, hundreds of uneducated Iraqis and Afghans have been making IEDs for years, many far more sophisticated than a pressure cooker device.

I have not heard any specific details regarding the actual triggers for the bombs in question, but I know from first hand experience that it ain't rocket science.

You'll just have to take my opinion for what it's worth, that of an anonymous poster on the internet.

Yes it actually Model rocket science
come with a test circuit and all the extra said to much already

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Like all things...its safe not to jump to conclusions once info is learned or figured.
1) The FBI never said these guys made the bombs.

2) DNA from a female was found on the bombs (but hey, it WAS a kitchen pot...not sexest...just saying)

3) it is possible someone else made them.

But I do not take an ex-CIA's word for anything. There are a few of them running around saying all sorts of things.

But I also don't have any reason to assume he is wrong either.

"Someone made them"...I think it would be unwise to just wildly guess at who did. IMO.

MM
edit on 2-5-2013 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The went to Russia. Are you telling em someone cannot be taught to make a bomb?

Oh but of course the FBI made them. Apparently Hilter was an FBI plot as well. Idi Amin was sponsored by the CIA, Sadam Hussian was paid by Monsanto (God knows why but the conspiracy guys on ATS will probably find some reason) etc etc etc.

There's always something for the looney brigade to latch on to.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

That's one way to skin the cat.

But there is a big difference between playing with model rockets and actual rocket science. You got my point.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

If it was indeed a "toy" remote control, and were not talking Fisher Price here, then they could have detonated it from anywhere upto 800 - 900 meters away..on a very good day and in open fields.

edit on 1-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

Let's assume for a second these two brothers have build the bomb. So why in the hell have they both stayed close to it when it detonated. It was reported that a video shows how they placed the bags and 10 seconds!! later the bomb exploded. That does not make sense to me. With a remote control I can place myself in a secure distance and not within a range where I can get hurt.
And if it wasn't a remote control and only a simple time device (as some news reported) how do you handle this inaccuracy of the triggering? Knowing that you carry something which might detonate in your back one minute before you position the bag?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brucee

If it was indeed a "toy" remote control, and were not talking Fisher Price here, then they could have detonated it from anywhere upto 800 - 900 meters away..on a very good day and in open fields.

edit on 1-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

Let's assume for a second these two brothers have build the bomb. So why in the hell have they both stayed close to it when it detonated. It was reported that a video shows how they placed the bags and 10 seconds!! later the bomb exploded. That does not make sense to me. With a remote control I can place myself in a secure distance and not within a range where I can get hurt.
And if it wasn't a remote control and only a simple time device (as some news reported) how do you handle this inaccuracy of the triggering? Knowing that you carry something which might detonate in your back one minute before you position the bag?

One of two possibilities comes to mind -

1 - Just like in London, the poor fools had been told they were part of an exercise, it wasn't a real bomb and they had to leave the bag where it would be found by security services (which were everywhere).
Thus they left the bomb in the open and not in an enclosed space (like inside the cafe Forum) where the devastation would have many times worse.

2 - The fools wern't meant to leave the scene of the crime, thats why it explodes only seconds after he leaves it. A dead incompetant jihadi killed by his own bomb doesn't talk.

edit on 2-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join