It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama says Guantanamo Bay prison must close

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I doubt he wants to close it, but why not say he does since congress won't close it anyways...it's free political points that can be used down the road.

edit on 1-5-2013 by DisplayName because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Option A) He's lying just like last time

Option B) They've finished building the new more-secret facility

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Wasn't there alot of difficulty in getting these prisoners transferred from Guantanamo Bay to the continental United States? Virtually every prison and State considering for these prisoners to be transferred through, refused, and protested, so? I could be wrong, let me know.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

This is my take on the so called prison. TPTB could care less about locking these guys up it was and still is about getting the sheep used to the idea.

Back in the day they would still lock these guys up and torture the crap out of them but they did it in secret. And then we had 9-11 and TPTB figured the time was right to sell the people on making this legal.

Truth be told it was a bad idea in the first place this kind of thing should never see the light of day.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
So he says.When we all know he has no intention to close Gitmo to do so would get howls of outrage about how he's "soft on terrorism."Yeah,we got the usual song and dance from the GOP just like the token opposition they are.He's not gonna close it down to do so would call down the wrath of the Military/Industrial/Security Complex.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Hmm, did Obama accidentally read his 2008 election promise speech over again in 2013? He said then that his first act as president would be to shut Guantanamo down. After he got elected, he set a time limit on it (something like 100 days I think) but we can see how far that went...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
obama signed an EO on 22 Jan 2009 ordering the closing of Gitmo within 1 year of that date. The democrats had majorities in both the Senate and House. And had control for 2 years before the Republicans regained the house.

So how is it the Republicans fault again?

You do realize that minority parties still have political power, right?

Originally posted by TownCryer
Yes! Just as true today as it was when he first said it - years ago. This jail is the opposite of what this country was founded on. Innocent until PROVEN guilty. I'm sure anyone and everyone would want to be treated that way if/when they're accused of a crime. But, these guys in Gitmo, many of them anyway, haven't been clearly charged with a crime, with the evidence agianst them revealed, and a way to defend themselves from the charges. Shameful. Then we wonder why people around the world don't like us. It's difficult to like the country that treats you like trash. Get those guys out of there. Try them in court, if we've got evidence. If no eveidence exists, send them home. Let's try to remember at least some of the freedoms/rights we used to brag about.

The problem they cited under Bush when there was a large cry for closing it (which Obama then capitalized on) was that these prisoners have been treated harshly, and are surrounded by others of a like mind that want to harm the US. If any of them got a trial and were found not guilty of a crime warranting punishment, their treatment would give them justification to act against the US, and thanks to the company they keep in Gitmo, they would have the connections to carry out terrorist acts.

Essentially, even if not guilty we've done them such a wrong that if let go it's highly likely they would attack us.

Isn't precrime great?
edit on 2-5-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

So WHY hasn't he closed it?

Two term President promises in his first term to do just that.

Lots of Lip Service from this guy.

Guess hes to busy picking and choosing who is a terrorist, and who gets a drone strike to worry about his empty promises.

S&F

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Swills

So WHY hasn't he closed it?

I think the better question is, why hasn't there been a movement from both Republicans and Democrats to close it? When recommendations are made to move them to prisons in the continental united states, residents of those States object, others object, releasing them back to their native country? People object again because they'll just go back into terrorist groups, supposedly, so what?

Obama may be president, but in the end Congress has just as much of a say. Blaming him alone for why Guantanamo is still open is just an excuse to blame him for something, it's not addressing the fundamental issue here, that we seem to be hitting road blocks every time we try to close it.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Obama may be president, but in the end Congress has just as much of a say. Blaming him alone for why Guantanamo is still open is just an excuse to blame him for something, it's not addressing the fundamental issue here, that we seem to be hitting road blocks every time we try to close it.

Congress is a joke, if you haven't noticed. Congress has an approval rating of 18%. If this President can use the threat of "Executive decision" to place restrictive gun bans, without Congress, what makes you think he cant close Gitmo? I'm tired of people apologizing for this President.Call him for what he is Southern.

NDAA, reviving the Patriot Act, Personal "Kill Lists",etc......and keeping Gitmo opened. And people called George Bush a warmonger. There is no roadblocks. Just an unwilling desire to do what is right. And yes, I do blame him. He is a hypocrite.

"I think that, you know, as president I bear responsibility for everything, to some degree" ~ Obama

"Well, here’s what I know, we were just talking about responsibility and as president of the United States, it’s pretty clear to me that I’m responsible for folks who are working in the federal government and you know, Harry Truman said the buck stops with you" ~ Obama

At least for the meantime, he isn't blaming another President for his mistakes.

Even he knows that in the end, blame is going to reside on him, so quit apologizing for his mistakes.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
GITMO remaining open isn't a fiscal issue as much as it is a political issue.

Obama can talk out of both sides of his mouth about closing it, but when he continues his drone campaign, everything else even remotely connected to the fight with terrorism is pure bull poo in terms of ending it.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Obama can talk out of both sides of his mouth about closing it, but when he continues his drone campaign, everything else even remotely connected to the fight with terrorism is pure bull poo in terms of ending it.

What is the motive for talking about it now?

His drone campaign is a fiscal issue FYI. Drones are the future, even if Adolph Reagan were elected next.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Agree.

My problem is that he vowed to close it, and we have those willing to give this man a break at every turn. Again, if those who were willing to dump on Bush for his "warmongering" cant see this man for what he truly is, then God help us.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Agree.

My problem is that he vowed to close it, and we have those willing to give this man a break at every turn. Again, if those who were willing to dump on Bush for his "warmongering" cant see this man for what he truly is, then God help us.

Despite the best intentions of the Obama-apologists and MSM, Obama has sealed his legacy. All this talk is nothing more than portraying himself as a victim. Something a community organiser does quite well.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Congress is a joke, if you haven't noticed.

Oh I noticed, I just wanted to hear it from you, since the only person that seems to be on the minds of members like you is Obama this, Obama that. it's good to remind yourself every once in a while that this isn't just about Obama.

I'm tired of people apologizing for this President.

Your sick of something non-existent on this forum, Sonnny, how many people on this thread for example actually decided to take a look at this issue beyond merely Obama? Vs people bashing the president? hmm?

This goes beyond Congress as well, you have State officials, residents, objecting to allowing many of these suspected terrorists to be released on their land, or to be held on their land. Please, also tell me, has there been a movement to have these terrorists returned to their country? Where is this movement? Have the tea partiers been vocal about releasing these suspects back to their own country? What about the think tanks? Heritage? Rand? There seems to be plenty of bickering about this president's inaction, but complete silence when it comes to the inaction of not just congress, but many groups out there as well. People have themselves to blame.

If there were really who truly wanted Gitmo closed, it would have been closed a long time ago. But people can't seem to make up their minds about what they want, many here appear just to be concerned about how this will impact on Obama's approval rating, not really about any concern over the closing of this place.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by cholo

Drones are only the future if the future is imagined as a police state.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
obama signed an EO on 22 Jan 2009 ordering the closing of Gitmo within 1 year of that date. The democrats had majorities in both the Senate and House. And had control for 2 years before the Republicans regained the house.

So how is it the Republicans fault again?

Even though they had the majority they still needed Republicans to go along with it to get the required votes for it to pass.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewarpedbrain7
leave it open. why would you want these guys moved into American prisons were some way some how they could try and spread there jihadist's word and thoughts?

because there are already terrorists that have been tried and sent to US prisons. keeping them at GITMO is the BEST WAY to spread jihadists words and thoughts. i have no sympathy for these people, but, i also don't want to give them more reasons to recruit others.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by superman2012
Why is this news? How many other broken promises/campaign lies is he going to talk about to remind the American public that voted for him, that they did not elect the right person?
edit on 30-4-2013 by superman2012 because: wrong word

for every "broken promise" congressional republicans have been directly responsible for sabotaging it. c'mon, this is on the congressional record, and people just have to do some research to find it. i know this because i was wondering that myself before the 2012 election, and surprise, surprise
there it was in black and white

So he tried once and quit until now? If he really felt that strongly against it, he wouldn't have given up. Just my opinion. You have to be a pitbull in politics, not a poodle.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by neilarm
Nope we need to keep Guantanamo open so that we will have a place to put Obama after he is convicted of treason mass murder and global terrorism among other things.

so, you're on the fence about GITMO closing. please tell us how you really feel

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join