It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama says Guantanamo Bay prison must close

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LogicGrind

I disagree. He had a Democratic house and senate for two years and didn't close it then. He is just making more empty promises like he did the first time.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Let's unravel the complexed situation so that more may comprehend current events related to Gitmo.

Terrorists-sympathizers in the guise of Human Rights Organisations are hell bent on making waves over their terrorist idols on hunger strike in Guantanamo YET again, as it seems right now today that there are est 130 inmates in participation, and WORST of all, the US Attorney General's office had issued a statement to the Defence dept that 'force feeding the inmates whom are mentally competent to eat is torture and no medical officer will engage in such' just as Hagel despatched more medical staff to Guantanamo to save the inmates lives.

The terrorist-sympathizers jumped on such claims, if they were not the ones who influenced the AG's memo that the inmates are not seeking for death or suicide but only to protest over their incarceration.

BUT the fact is - hunger strike is to seek for suicide, and suicide is a crime. To commit suide is the choice of an UNstable mind, and if the mind is unstable, how then can he be deemed as 'mentally competent' and NOT seeking death as the terrorist-sympathizers are trying to pull wool over empathic mankind's eyes claimed???

Using Human Rights as cover, these terrorist-sympathizers want food to be denied to inmates using claims of torture, even as the US govt is doing its best to keep them alive which is a humanitarian act, which is thus a horror to see how the terrorist-sympathizers are misusing goodwill to sow hatred and death to the inmates.

Secondly, they claimed the inmates had been kept in Guantanamo for years when they were cleared by the courts except for a minority, of having done nothing wrong. Again the terrorist sympathizers are using half truths and lies to fool and mislead empathic mankind.

Truth is - it WAS the inmates' nation that DO NOT WANT them back, for these inmates were found to be involved in violent jihad in a WARZONE, and although no evidences were found, that does not mean there are NO evidences of their terrorist intents. And thus the fear of the nations and for years, had resisted US attempts to repatriate them back, which is why there are still there in Guantanamo,

Human Rights group had LONG been misused to fool empathic mankind, and are riddled with folks with cunning intent as proven by their loud exclaminations time and time again, without any shred of investigations done. Worse are these Guantanamo activists.

There is a solution to the Guantanamo problem.

For BLOODY ONCE - the Human Rights activists, the chief executive councils and NOT the rank and file whom are probably only young and naive angst filled adults FOOLED and misled in joining them, BE MADE TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS & PROCLAMATIONS.

No more letting them freely make unsubstantiated claims and falsehoods. Freedom of speech comes with responsibilities and thus they must be held accountable.

1. If the activists are honest in caring for the inmates and blamed the govt for keeping them locked up, then let 3 activists be GUARANTORS for every 1 inmate to be set free, back to their homeland if their nation wants them and agrees to having guarantors from the supposedly 'esteemed' Human Rights organisations.

They will need to sign an UN agreement that they wil be held responsible for the behaviour of their inmate for life, and should the inmate commit crimes, hurt and harm, and worse, return to terrorism as many did, then the GUARANTORS agree to be sent to Guantanamo prison for life in place of their freed inmate, without any need for trial

2. The same goes for the media as well. If the news media continues to disparage against the US govt and Guantanamo Prison, then let the news media - their chief executives and news presenters, be 3 party guarantors to free the inmates, as they believe the inmates are innocent and will do NO wrong.

Freedom of speech comes with responsibilites, and accountabilities for the consequences of such speech. Are the terrorist-sympathizers masquerading as 'human rights activists' and the bias news media groups ready to step up to the plate, or chose to continue with their BS to fool empathic mankind yet again?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Well said. I'd flag you if I could.

Just closing Gitmo will not have any effect. Though a trial might. But I even doubt that since people take things to the extreme.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Why is this news? How many other broken promises/campaign lies is he going to talk about to remind the American public that voted for him, that they did not elect the right person?
edit on 30-4-2013 by superman2012 because: wrong word

for every "broken promise" congressional republicans have been directly responsible for sabotaging it. c'mon, this is on the congressional record, and people just have to do some research to find it. i know this because i was wondering that myself before the 2012 election, and surprise, surprise
there it was in black and white

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
reply to post by LogicGrind

I disagree. He had a Democratic house and senate for two years and didn't close it then. He is just making more empty promises like he did the first time.

do you know what a senate filibuster is?
www.winningprogressive.org...

and here is a site with actual charts....hard to NOT NOTICE that when a democrat is president,. the spike in filibusters are enormous
www.brennancenter.org...
Obama is not king....he has to go through congress

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by Swills

He said that 5 years ago...
Damn Wide, you beat me to it!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Let them have their little hunger strike.

After a couple months, the problem will take care of itself. Gitmo will be empty.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Simply for the fact that's ALL he knows to do. He has never and probably never will leave "campaign mode".

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The President does not need anything from Congress to close Gitmo. As Commander in Chief, he has the authority to re-assign all military personnel stationed there. Order the Navy and Air Force to evacuate all property and personnel. Once the base is "abandoned" it reverts back to Cuba as per treaty, closed for good.

Last time, Obama needed an excuse to not keep his promised, and the "right" gave it to him. This time, I expect a similar dog and pony show until it is all overshadowed by a "no-fly-zone" in established for Syria.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
241 bullets and 1 willing guard could 'close' it too

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Yeah 5 years TOO LATE

3 successful terrorists attacks under his watch I call this misdirection

"close gitmo"

Can't call Fort Hood terrorism
Can't call Benghazi terrorism
Can't call Boston Bombing terrorism

Excuse me radical Islamic terrorism who are the primary residents at Gitmo.

See the pattern here?

Back to the pre-911 mentality;.

Obama lied about Gitmo, not too many people are holding him accountable for it.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I would bet money that most of the people criticizing Obama for not closing it soon enough, would complain he is endangering Americans as soon as he closed it.

Same thing happened with Libya....criticize him for not doing anything, then as soon as he does it, pounce on him again.

Saying as commander in chief he has certain authority....then as soon as he uses said authority claim he's using dictator powers.

This is one particular issue that I am upset about. I just know many posting right now are not truly upset about it....and imo that's more disgusting than him not closing it. That's saying something.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Yes! Just as true today as it was when he first said it - years ago. This jail is the opposite of what this country was founded on. Innocent until PROVEN guilty. I'm sure anyone and everyone would want to be treated that way if/when they're accused of a crime. But, these guys in Gitmo, many of them anyway, haven't been clearly charged with a crime, with the evidence agianst them revealed, and a way to defend themselves from the charges. Shameful. Then we wonder why people around the world don't like us. It's difficult to like the country that treats you like trash. Get those guys out of there. Try them in court, if we've got evidence. If no eveidence exists, send them home. Let's try to remember at least some of the freedoms/rights we used to brag about.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TownCryer

1. Many of them were apprehended during the war on terrorism as being on the jihadist side in a warzone. President Obama had long sent the judiciary to try them and by law they are free to go. Only to where? As NO host nation wants them back. Terrorism and terrorists found committed to Jihadism is not something a govt on Earth will dare to accept them back as many have been found returning to Jihadist causes, killing innocent men, women and children.

No way Congress will endanger american citizens to let these detainees live in USA out of misplaced sympathy. Would you accept them? These are not common criminals but animals ready to kill and be killed, as they once were before being apprehending to stop their slaughters.

2. Terrorism is a scourge upon humanity, and needs special laws to stop them - even before they kill others, because to follow the rule of law whereby the suspect is only charged if he committed a crime is to only allow the deaths to innocent men, women and children.

Most countries have detention without trial laws to do just that, as is the only way to stop them. There are not common thieves or 2nd degree murderers, but avowed jihadists hell bent on slaughter.

We cannot generalized, but neither can we afford to take that chance to grant these animals the priviledges of humanity, for their kind had shown none to us.

If you want to set them free, fine. Get 2 other guys to agree with you and become guarantors for their good behaviour, but if they cause hurt or harm, or return to terrorsim, you three equally must agree to be sent to gitmo for life in place of them for justice to be served for the innocent dead, as you believed that the terrorist you set free is innocent and incapable of doing further harm, and should not be detained without any trial.

No excuses, no lame and further pathetic reasons, back and forth, BS, etc....just answer - Dare you be the guarantor?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
leave it open. why would you want these guys moved into American prisons were some way some how they could try and spread there jihadist's word and thoughts?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
So he finally wants to close gitmo...all of a sudden? Wow, there has to be a catch to all of this. They will probably write up a bill to close gitmo and inside that bill will be a government tax on online sales. Be careful about the higalean dialecta people. Problem, Reaction, Solution will always be the way that they get things done.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Nope we need to keep Guantanamo open so that we will have a place to put Obama after he is convicted of treason mass murder and global terrorism among other things.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

It's fairly obvious he alone couldn't close the prison, which is spelt out pretty clear in the OP

And the reason stated is because he had Congress push back.

It's become quite clear that Obama has absolutely no respect for Congress as he has passed a lot of bills in opposition to Congress. He has passed bills WITHOUT Congress even knowing.

So this alone is just an outright lie. If he truly wanted to close Guantanamo, he would do it with or without Congress as he truly sees himself above it all and not held to law.

Peace

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Good, it's about time. My question is, where are they going to put the prisoners?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The President does not need anything from Congress to close Gitmo. As Commander in Chief, he has the authority to re-assign all military personnel stationed there. Order the Navy and Air Force to evacuate all property and personnel. Once the base is "abandoned" it reverts back to Cuba as per treaty, closed for good.

Last time, Obama needed an excuse to not keep his promised, and the "right" gave it to him. This time, I expect a similar dog and pony show until it is all overshadowed by a "no-fly-zone" in established for Syria.

And what happens to the prisoners?

Do you really believe that all the prisoners there are innocent? That they have no wanted to damage or kill Americans? Are we supposed to treat it like a wildlife refuge, and just open the gates and free them into the wild?

It's not nearly such a black and white issue as some of you make it. You can't just bury your head in the sand - there are actually terrorists that want to kill Americans to further their own beliefs or agendas. Can you suggest what they do with them? And convince Congress to agree? Obama isn't supreme dictator - he can't just wave a wand and make Gitmo go away.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join