It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Astrophotographers, all skill levels. Post your work.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Just getting back into it with my new Rebel DSLR camera, but have done things in the past too:

These were done with my old cannon SLR AE-1 camera back in the 1990s:

And through the telescope with it:

This was taken with a Sony Handy Cam on a tripod. I thought it did a darn good job zooming and catching the Earthshine on the moon:

And now this is me trying to learn how to use my new DSLR camera:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This is one that I took in January. Actually shot this "hand held" leaning up against the door of the truck...

Mike

+1 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
After making the shuttle model I thought Id have some fun

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by luvsungriter

uumm.
You CANNOT post this beautiful image of Jupiter without telling us a little bit about how you did it.
There is a lot of detail there. More than just atmospheric bands.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Ok gotta ask what your settings were? I have been trying forever to catch the milky way and have never been able to.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Taken a few tears ago with a Starshoot planetary usb camera on an 8 inch newtonian at f4.9 mounted on an SVP Pro mount dor tracking, all from Orion. Stacked with a basic version of MaximDL that came with the camera at the time. There is now Avistack and Registax that do the same thing and you can find them for free on the web. Also free for deepsky stacking for anyone interested - Deepskystacker.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

This is the best I have gotten so far from my light polluted location with a CPC 800 alt/az with a .5x reducer and an astrophotography light pollution filter, both 1.25". That is why you see severe vignetting! Seventeen 10 seconds exposures with a Canon 10D dslr stacked using Deepskystacker and tweaked in Corel Paint Shop Pro X.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Part of the Orion Nebula.

edit on 2-5-2013 by luvsungriter because: Getting rusty. I made a mistake.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by w810i
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Ok gotta ask what your settings were? I have been trying forever to catch the milky way and have never been able to.

The settings were on his post 30 sec exposure at f4, iso 3200 but anything from 20-30 sec wide angle , wide as possible aperture and 1600 iso or above will give a good result if you are well away from street lights or I you are lucky and have a listed dark sky area near by.

edit on 2-5-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Hi all

This may be of interest to members that have binoculars and small telescopes but don't have a DSLR or high spec compact camera you could attach your smart phone.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Yes that is what I have been using because I didnt have enough money for the camera and telescope lol
My first couple of threads on ATS were from my iphone 4 then i got the iphone 5 and am astonished at how clear the pictures have come out.
I have also been videoing with my iphone using the procamera app as it alows me to zoom while videoing, manual set focus and brightness and lock them to one setting so when I move the scope around the moon doesn't become a huge light globe.
Also with all my threads of the videos and picture no computer was used from putting the phone in my home made cradle To editing and uploading have all been done just on the phone .
Its great.
There are a couple of other good post and pics earlier in this thread that were done with cheap cameras the guy with the handy cam did a great job of the moon.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jaffer44

Hi jaffer44

I know what you have done I have posted on your threads I don't agree with some of your claims of what you think you see but it is amazing what can be done keep taking the pics/vids.

Oh and get saving for that DSLR!!!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Wow, this thread grew quick!

I don't own a telescope, but here's an image I made using the Bradford Robotic Telescope at www.telescope.org...

Orion Nebula, Ha & O-III

Raw images:
Ha www.telescope.org...
O-III www.telescope.org...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Lol thanks for the complement.
Yep birthday is coming up soonish and am hoping the better half is getting me one so I'll keep you posted.
As for my claims I think you took what I said a little wrong I just stated that there was strange looking thing in the cratter and our wonderful inhouse brainyac gave me some good links explaining how thoughs thing tower in the middle of the cratres I even said I understand how they happen now and the on the horizon thingis that looked like a crane thing i didnt say it was a crane and I dont belive it is a crane I used the wording to try and help people see the erea I was looking at.
I am open minded about the moon but have seen no good evedence yet of things being there.
You got to admit the huge lump with the bit sticking out the side at the top did give me the right to add anomaly in the thread title lol I've seen many threads with less clarity claiming animals and building and stuff lol
Thanks again I'll u2u you when the dslr is going

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jaffer44

Well I hope you get one for your birthday although the iphone has given you some good results a DSLR will take that to the next level and as you seem to have some clear skies where you live I will look forward to seeing your first DSLR picture

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I use Deep Sky Stacker. Great FREE program, using it right now to stack last nights data of the Iris nebula. Unfortunately i think my Astrotrac may have died last night! I cant get it to start
not very happy right now considering i've only had it a couple of months!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by qd22vcc

If you want to image then the most important thing to think about is the mount rather than telescope. I would recommend a HEQ5 mount with a Skywatcher 200PDS as a great beginners option.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by intergalactic fire
reply to post by iksose7

Amazing.
I've read a lot on tracking devices and also came up on the astrotrac, for it's reasonably low price.
The reason i didn't go for it was because of the diferrent reviews( negative).
Now after seeing your images they look quite amazing with some good tracking.
Could you give me your impressions on the device? Tracking, aligning, build quality (stability),power requirements,... It would be a lot of help. Thanks

The Astrotrac is an awesome bit of kit, especially if you already own a camera with a couple decent lens.

I'll tell you the bad first, the polar scope. It lets the AT down with its cheap plastic build quality. But this is forgivable when compared to the AT.
The tracking is great, as long as you collimate the polar scope properly. I was getting 4 minute exposures at 300mm, and i kow somebody on flickr who uses a 500mm lens with great results.
Alighnment is easy and only gets easier, you are up and running in 5 minutes. Thats whats great about the AT, its portable and you can set everything up and be shooting in 10 minutes. Awesome if you live somewhere cloudy and see a gap in the clouds.
Buily quality is great as is th stability, but thats down to the tripod i am using.
There are a few power options, 8 batteries, from the mains, power cells. I am currently looking at getting some high quality rechargable batteries and a smart charger.

Now, up until about an hour ago my Astrotrac was perfect. I tried to turn it on this morning to rewind it and there is no power. I have contacted Astrotrac and am waiting to hear back from them.

Dont let this put you off though if you are consideing one. I am part of an Astrotrac group and this doesnt appear to have happened to anybody elses unit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join