It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Astrophotographers, all skill levels. Post your work.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Moon from a couple days ago, was a beautiful sight

+7 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
All the images so far are amazing! Here are some of mine.

Sunspot Detail

Sunspots during an eclipse (thumb link cause it is huge! lol)

Winter Orion

Perseid Meteor and Big Dipper

Jupiter and 2 moons through a 5" Schmidt-Cassegrain scope

edit on 1-5-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by drneville

I didn't take this one but it is a keeper.

This looks like a poster we would see in a planetarium.

+1 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Here's a shot of Saturn I took in July last year. Right now is the best time for this year to view Saturn, so I'm anxious to shoot it again as soon as the weather allows. Unfortunately it was cloudy at my house on the night of opposition and it's rainy right now, but it'll still be effectively just as good all week. I just have to get the weather to cooperate.

farm9.staticflickr.com...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This is my kinda thread! Great idea!

This is my first ever Astro photo taken about 11 months ago (coming up on my anniversary!) Thats Cassiopiea just above the trees.

Probably just a 30 second exposure at f5.6 and ISO 6400. This is when i knew nothing and just maxed out all the settings on the cam to gather as mucg light as possible

A couple of months ago i finally bit the bullet and bought an Astrotrac! So now i have tracking

M42 and M45. Two DSOs that probably any astrophotographer will recognise. Each image is only an hours worth of data made up of 2 minute exposures at f5.6, ISO 800. Both taken with a crappy 70-300mm canon lens which i sold a couple of weeks ago and bought a Canon EF200L! An excellent astro lens. Heres an image using it from Sunday night.

Comet Panstarrs! Only 12 minutes worth of exposure.

Looking clear outside at the moment, hopefully it will stay that way until at least 2am

Look forward to seeing everyones images!
edit on 1-5-2013 by iksose7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksose7
A couple of months ago i finally bit the bullet and bought an Astrotrac! So now i have tracking

Tracking, a world of difference, and a world of new things that can go wrong.

My first tracking was a home made "barn door" device, much like this one...

But things are so much more difficult in the southern hemisphere. We need a NASA mission to send a spacecraft out towards the south celestial pole and light up some huge antimatter beacon.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Oh Goody, I've been playing around with some astro photography every now and then for a year or so.

here are a few of my best!

You can browse them on my Flickr Astro Page Astro Set

I do not really do that much Night Sky Photography and I really should get out there more with my scope and camera.

Feel free to check out my other Flickr sets also. I hope you enjoy them. Other Sets

Peace =)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Oh I remember reading all kinds of articles on the Barn Door Trackers, when Hale-Bopp was just on it's way into the neighborhood. Of course, later, no such device was needed. It was an excellent Comet that lingered in the skies for quite a long time.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Here's my first attempt at photographing Saturn with my new 6" Schmidt Cassegrain. It's not great, but considering it's a single exposure I was pleased with it.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I have been reading up on how to get those amazing deep sky images using tracking devices.
I recently purchased a telescope with a tracking mount on it, and I have to say, gettiing the right speed and elevation is soooo tricky. I have yet to capture anything worth showing. Though I have only been out once since purchasing the scope. You don't get too much clear weather here in England.

Spring is poking its head up now so I have promised myself I will spend many nights on this in the near future.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

I have yet to get a decent image of Saturn. What kind of scope?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
And a pretty decent shot of the moon taken with my Nikon D3100 and a 300mm lens.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

What stacker do you use? I have a camera mount on my scope but have yet to do any deep sky images. I might try if I can get my butt out there!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Awesome shots by so many ATS members,I bow to the quality of many of the images.

Here is my humble 1st attempt at moon shooting with my new camera 550d attached to meade etx 125 scope
taken a year ago:

Be sure to check out the awesome moon mountains from 0.54seconds onwards.
Spiky,2-3KM high moon mountains...
I was proud of that footage at the time.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

I have yet to get a decent image of Saturn. What kind of scope?

8" LX200 Classic. The camera for that shot was a modified Samsung SDC-435. It does a good job collecting video for stacking. Here's some mostly-raw (though sped up) footage of the crescent moon I shot last month under poor seeing conditions (the widefield shots were done with a Mallincam MCHP and Orion ST-80):

edit on 1-5-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
one of the sun in Ha spectrum....

This is amazing. Can you share a little bit more on this technique of Solar imaging?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Never owned a Meade but that looks like a fantastic scope! I might upgrade someday when I really feel I have mastered my current one.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I just took a digital camera shot because of the overcast. As I went outside the moon peeked through just in time for a picture.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Wow, their are some amazing photos in this thread.
I can't wait to get going, it looks like Im going to really hit the sky at the right time out there.
No moonlight, clear skies.
I pick up the gear we rented this friday and will be heading to the Jersey shore to get a quick night of practice in.
I can't wait to share with everyone here, hopefully it comes close to what everyone has posted.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Good luck! What will be your soundtrack, whilst sitting in the dark? Opeth? Porcupine Tree?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join