It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Mushrooms or fungi?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I live in Michigan (USA) and after a very, very rainy spring which caused lot's of flooding and river cresting this season I came to notice these paculiar mushrooms or fungi. These are all over the neiborhood and in all the past years these have never been around? Could they be some strain that only come out in certain conditions? I have looked all around the internet looking at mushrooms, fungi and molds. Nothing I have seen is even close.

They are only about 2-4 inches in height and the top part is not a cap like a typical mushroom, for instance the top is kinda like a pine comb in segments. See second pic that shows this detail.

Does any members here know what these are? I am very curious because of the sheer numbers of them and the fact they never been here any other spring.

In this pic you can see about how big they are by the size of the lawn grass.

In this pic that I cropped and upscaled you can see the odd "Pine comb" like tops.

Here is a link to larger image.
edit on 4/30/13 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
i dare u to eat one

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

I know better than that, lol

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

They certainly are pretty weird little things... I haven't seen anything like them before. I'll see if I can dig anything up.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Thanks. I looked on may sites today, even tried google image search. Got nowhere.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well I think it may be a Morel Mushroom:
en.wikipedia.org...

EDIT: here's a good pic of some Morel Mushrooms:

edit on 30/4/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I don't think so. The mushrooms you posted have a thicker stalk and seem to have two distinct colors, whereas the ones in the OP appear to have two different shades of the same color and are much thinner... Perhaps a relative though based off of the pine-cone appearance of the top.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

No there definately Morels. I know what Morels are. They are real popular here in the spring. I have went and picked them with many freinds over the years. Morels are much larger and not "pine combed" like these are. Morels are more brainy looking caps. These are definately not morels.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

I think the OP's ones may still be much younger than the ones in my pic. Plus the wiki says Morel Mushrooms come in all sorts of colors and shape variations.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hi OP,

What you have there is called Equisetum arvense or Field Horsetail.

native throughout the arctic and temperate regions of the northern hemisphere.

In the Chinese herbal medicinal arsenal, it is called Mu zei.

Drains Wind-Heat; Disperses Wind-Heat; Resolves nebula to improve vision corneal scar; Stops bleeding; ...

www.tcmassistant.com...

edit on 30-4-2013 by Bybyots because:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Yep that's definitely what it is. I was wrong. Here's a good pic which clearly demonstrates the OP pics are of Field Horsetail:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

I beleive these are close, but in my pic the stalks havebrown crown like things? and I live in michigan not china, lol.
So what kind of medicine are these for?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Yep That's them. Thanks. I knew ATS members would know. Another reason I like this place so much!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

I haven't seen any like that up here. I wonder if they are something like the squaw root. en.wikipedia.org... I have squaw root here and some of them get stems sometimes. Someone else had some pictures of something before me but they really don't look exactly the same either. They could be a species that hasn't been named yet, there are new species of mushroom found every year.
edit on 30-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

The second post about the horsetail looks about like them. Just a difference in maturity or something

edit on 30-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I think Chaotic pretty much nailed it with that pic. But what is odd is why so many around the neiborhood and never been around in previous years?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Might not be a variety of mushroom or fungus. I looked hard too. It could be a variety of Horsetail?

There are many. Heres some...

As it matures pine cone things develop into fern like branches.

Horsetail plants

ETA: I see Chaotic Order nailed it...

edit on 30-4-2013 by intrptr because: curses, foiled again

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Actually it's oftentimes impossible to identify mushrooms by sight alone. So many different species look identical, but have a different genetic makeup.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

That could be why I couldnt find them anywhere. I thought they where a fungi and not a plant. Nice pics.
They sure are neat looking huh?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Yes, I edited my last post after I saw chaotic's picture.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I know this is off topic but I am curious as to what your avatar is?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join