It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Obamacare’ Poll Finds 42% of Americans Unaware It’s Law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
ABC News Poll

“Four in ten Americans (42%) are unaware that the ACA [Affordable Care Act] is still the law of the land,” the report says, “including 12 percent who believe the law has been repealed by Congress, 7 percent who believe it has been overturned by the Supreme Court and 23 percent who say they don’t know enough to say what the status of the law is.”

The survey showed public opinion on Obamacare is at its second-lowest rating in the past two years.

Less than half – 40 percent – of adults viewed the ACA favorably, whereas 35 percent said they viewed it unfavorably. Another 24 percent said they did not know or refused to answer.

Things are beginning to play out very much the way some of us predicted they would. Part of me believes this is a wonderfull thing... there is a large swath of voters who are finally starting to realize elections have consequences. Unfortunately, myself and the rest of the middle to upper middle class are still sitting here stuck paying the bill for these politically unknowledgeable folks.

I'm sure the next issue to come to the forefront will be the realization in 2014 that this comment:

“For the 85 to 90 percent of Americans who already have health insurance, this thing’s already happened, and their only impact is that their insurance is stronger, better, more secure than it was before,” President Obama said. “Full stop. That’s it. Now they don’t have to worry about anything else.”

constitutes a bald faced lie as an entire swath of Americans who supposedly "don't have anything to worry about" watch in horror as their medical costs double, triple, or worse all thanks to the ACA.

I took a parenting class awhile back called "Love & Logic" which supports the idea of parents displaying empathy over childrens' mistakes and allowing natural consequences to do the teaching, rather than being the implement of punishment and chastisement. The course was authored by Jim Fay and Dr. Foster Kline. I believe they are about to experience a massive open experiment regarding L&L on a grand scale. Imagine the invaluable data which they can gather as 66 million Americans suddenly realize, through natural consequences, that elections represent far more important choices than simply coloring the oval of whoever the cult of the masses is that election cycle.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Less than half – 40 percent – of adults viewed the ACA favorably, whereas 35 percent said they viewed it unfavorably. Another 24 percent said they did not know or refused to answer.

But,but,but they said Americans "overwhelmingly" want it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah they are going to be aware of it at their next doctors visit.

That's for sure.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

What's the percent of folks who know who won last season's super bowl or who won the last American Idol?

Thank God these boob heads can vote!!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

That's for sure.

And the Democrats completely and entirely own this train wreck.

Not a single Republican in either the House or Senate voted for it.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Another 24 percent said they did not know or refused to answer.

How the hell does a person "not know" or even refuse to answer?

What?

Do they think they are going to get flogged for having an opinion?

Sorry forgot to add that.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
A lot of Americans also believe we live in a true democracy. A lot of them believe in deities, a very many are fundamentalist about it.

There's a flower shop in my town that's in the spotlight now for refusing service to gay couples, even though there is a law against it.

Unfortunately for all those people, ignorance and stupidity doesn't make it right.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Another 24 percent said they did not know or refused to answer.

How the hell does a person "not know" or even refuse to answer?

What?

Do they think they are going to get flogged for having an opinion?

Sorry forgot to add that.

Those that are illegal maybe?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Always remember that the average IQ is 100. So 50 percent of the people have IQ's under 100. How can anyone expect them to remember something as exotic as health care??? (?O
). Two things come to mind when talking of the general non-knowledge of citizens. The movie "Idiocracy" (which has been mentioned on ATS several times in the last week) and a line from the long-ago canceled TV show based on the events of a fictional Saturday Night Live in which a network executive refers to reality shows as coming from "The Office of Illiterate Programming".
edit on 30-4-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

That's for sure.

And the Democrats completely and entirely own this train wreck.

Not a single Republican in either the House or Senate voted for it.

Actually, "We the People" own it. I am hoping for a strong majority of people voting for those who want to do away with this BS of a Tax........

It is a Tax, right?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
(noted)I don't see any other solutions. I am partially disabled as are both of my parents, I am a college student with no other means of insurance. ACA will give me the care I deserve. Sorry you don't feel like helping your fellow American's please try to find another country with a system as messed up as America's current healthcare system...Protip you can't, because most industrialized countries have done the right thing and move to universal healthcare. Get used to it.
edit on 30-4-2013 by Maskander because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well the numbers don't lie, and unfortunately now the people that were running around yelling from the roof tops "FREE HEALTHCARE FOR ALL" are now realizing this is anything but free, and they HAVE to get it or pay a fine.
Good job!

These are the people you can thank, and there is no shortage of them, just have a look around.

So so sad, but so so true.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I get free doctor visits and before Obamacare it cost me $100 a pop. On the other hand, my wife just got her hours cut, and her company dropped her insurance provider for someone who does not provide 1/10th of the service she had before AND it costs more. So for her it sucks, for me it helps. But then, I am never sick and she is sick quite often. Bummer.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maskander
ACA will give me the care I deserve.

You think "Government" is going to take care of you, and your fellow Americans?

Come on.

Sorry you don't feel like helping your fellow American's please try to find another country with a system as messed up as America's current healthcare system..

Wow...

The Sytem might be messed up, but Government didnt design this with YOU in Mind.

because most industrialized countries have done the right thing and move to universal healthcare.

Laughable.

Wait till your waiting for a Bed at the Hospital, like in the UK. A waiting list for sub-par care, with bad doctors.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Robonakka

It might help you now, but how is it going to help you when your employer goes the same route, or when your premiums double, triple, or worse like many have already?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

It might help you now, but how is it going to help you when your employer goes the same route, or when your premiums double, triple, or worse like many have already?
Hyperinflation is going to happen either way, are you going to blame obama when the price of dairy and meat triples? That's all I see from this argument, are a bunch of anecdotal evidence, I havn't seen one person turned away because of obamacare. Sure the lines are longer, but you will be taken care of.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maskander

Star and flag for you Mask... in the long run people will see past the MSM and the right wing propaganda and see that the only thing that is bad about 'Obamacare' is that it will be good for the people. The people don't program the news though.

It will be terrible for the doctors and the insurance companies though, as well as the pharmaceuticals. I have a few doctors in my family and the ones I respect as true doctors who keep to their oath to help a fellow being think Obamacare is great. They think more people will get access to much needed care and it will be easier for people to see the doctor directly... however doc's won't be able to bill as much so they are all undergoing slight changes.

I do have a couple of doctors in the family who are true American businessmen. They run medicine as a business only and patients are nothing more than customers. It is in their interest to see as many patients as possible every day, and they spend at most about 5 minutes with every patient. The rest is done by nurses and aides. In a day, I'd say one of them spends about a total of an hour with patients. He will have to do more hands on work with the patients from now on, and if I remember correctly will have to spend about 15-20 min with each one.

His money is going down and his quality of care is going up, not something he's happy about.

I, however, am happy that doctors will be made to be more like real doctors through various clauses in the law. My understanding is also that it will lower the costs of care for the average American, which is a good thing if you're one of us.

If you're loaded though and think your fellow Americans don't deserve affordable healthcare, this is horrible.

But hey, no point arguing, many of you who are against it now will be enjoying it in a few years and will conveniently not bring it up again.

Bottom line, if your fellow citizens are looking forward to it but the MSM keeps feeding you stories how it will be bad... who do you think is correct and who is getting paid lobby money?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I honestly don't understand how an adult could 'not know' the ACA became the law of the land. I'd imagine one would have to, consciously, choose to not know.

We're doomed.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Hyperinflation is going to happen either way, are you going to blame obama when the price of dairy and meat triples? That's all I see from this argument, are a bunch of anecdotal evidence, I havn't seen one person turned away because of obamacare. Sure the lines are longer, but you will be taken care of.

By law they cannot turn you away even without obamacare. What they have a choice in is treatment. The bottom line is it's 100% fact that ACA is going to increase the cost of insurance across the board. And yes I can blame Obama for that.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

edit on 30-4-2013 by neo96 because: misread

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
reply to post by Maskander

Star and flag for you Mask... in the long run people will see past the MSM and the right wing propaganda and see that the only thing that is bad about 'Obamacare' is that it will be good for the people. The people don't program the news though.

It will be terrible for the doctors and the insurance companies though, as well as the pharmaceuticals. I have a few doctors in my family and the ones I respect as true doctors who keep to their oath to help a fellow being think Obamacare is great. They think more people will get access to much needed care and it will be easier for people to see the doctor directly... however doc's won't be able to bill as much so they are all undergoing slight changes.

I do have a couple of doctors in the family who are true American businessmen. They run medicine as a business only and patients are nothing more than customers. It is in their interest to see as many patients as possible every day, and they spend at most about 5 minutes with every patient. The rest is done by nurses and aides. In a day, I'd say one of them spends about a total of an hour with patients. He will have to do more hands on work with the patients from now on, and if I remember correctly will have to spend about 15-20 min with each one.

His money is going down and his quality of care is going up, not something he's happy about.

I, however, am happy that doctors will be made to be more like real doctors through various clauses in the law. My understanding is also that it will lower the costs of care for the average American, which is a good thing if you're one of us.

If you're loaded though and think your fellow Americans don't deserve affordable healthcare, this is horrible.

But hey, no point arguing, many of you who are against it now will be enjoying it in a few years and will conveniently not bring it up again.

Bottom line, if your fellow citizens are looking forward to it but the MSM keeps feeding you stories how it will be bad... who do you think is correct and who is getting paid lobby money?

Thank you sir for stating this, as when my father had great insurance through his job, we had to deal with one of these doctors, when I was 16 our family was not allowed to come back to his practice because of "insubordination" I'm not making excuses for my dad's disability which is due to diabetes, but that attitude that doctor had about the money at the time confused me very much as a teenager, I cried and cried, because I thought I had done something wrong. In reality I was facing some of the most crooked times in the healthcare industry, this was ca 2008., All my mom asked for was a little bit of extra attention for my dad in the doctor's office... I truly believe this event contributed to his quickly deteriorating health thereafter.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join