It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local news story w/ vid on strange light in sky (UFO speculated)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Found this on Newzjunky (www.newzjunky.com) just now.. thought I would put it out to the ATS community.

I really have no opinion on what it is. I don't think it is a manned aircraft though (like a helicopter or airplane). Perhaps a drone from the base (despite their saying it isn't).

WNYF News

Video is a news story on the local Fox station, the apparent video of the light is from their phone.

Here is the youtube video of just the light:

edit on 4/30/2013 by toepick because: added youtube video

edit on 4/30/2013 by toepick because: (no reason given)

Probably should not have added the youtube vid as that is what most people will watch before they comment.
First link is video from the local news where they explain the video and interview the couple that took it.

Also, this is Watertown, NEW YORK. I originally used the title from the article and changed it to be more clear.
edit on 4/30/2013 by toepick because: clarification

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Its clearly some idiot with a laser pointer.

Cant say whether its coming from a vehicle on the road in front, or a helicopter in the sky, and frankly dont care to speculate because its just obviously a green laser pointer.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Even if that wasnt all fake and stuff and was an actual UFO, it wouldnt be a close encounter of the third kind, as the title suggests...

ETA: I say this because I was watching and xpecting to see an actual alien on film...
edit on 30-4-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Thats was my first thought, and I wouldn't rule out an idiot with a spot light of some kind. But it puts a really big circular light spot on the ground that to me doesn't look like a laser pointer.

@JayinAR: Title just says close encounter. Does not say of the third kind; it is the title of the original article. I suppose I could have renamed the title since this isn't breaking news.. my bad there

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by toepick

I imagine if the road was wet at all it would look pretty much just like that.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Thats low, using Watertown in the title as well as UFO for views when its clearly a green laser pointer.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

changed the title

also, like I said in OP, I don't think this is a UFO, or at least not of an ET kind.. I think what is more interesting is that the local media does a story on it without making too much of a joke about it.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
Thats low, using Watertown in the title as well as UFO for views when its clearly a green laser pointer.

I think I would have more 'views' and 'stars' or whatever having been around for a while if that's what I cared about.. I used the same title as the original article, and than changed it after JayinAR pointed it out.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by toepick

Theyve been doing that more often lately, which is great, but they also dont do ANY fact checking, or in this case, use simple common sense.

Also, I wasnt talking about your title. It is how the video is titled. 'Close Encounter of the Third Kind?' I mean, if these folks dont have a clue, why not just say 'UFO'? The filmographer here is obviously a very undereducated enthusiast. Helps establish this as a likely hoax.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Did you watch the first link of the news story? They interview the two that took the video. I don't think they are even armature anything. They just saw a weird light and took a video with their phone.

The news station checked with local aviation, emergency services, and the army base to see if anything was in the air around that time and there wasn't. So at least the news media did some research on it.

Fort Drum is near Watertown and its my understanding that they are flying drones out of there, I am thinking that is a possibility and I am pretty sure they wouldn't just admit to it.. who knows. I still think its too wide and too bright on the ground to be a laser pointer. Too bright on the ground to be one from far away, and too wide a beam to be a laser pointer that is just off the ground (not very high). Could be a spot light but it points forward from a spot suspended above the road (ie..you can see the road ahead) and than back behind it. Slow the youtube video down to see this.. I don't think its ET, but it is kinda strange.

eta: also.. OT, but nice to meet a fellow Hogs Fan!! Born in AR, family is all down there lol

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by toepick

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

I think I would have more 'views' and 'stars' or whatever having been around for a while if that's what I cared about.. I used the same title as the original article, and than changed it after JayinAR pointed it out.

I mean the uploader of the video, not you OP

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by toepick

WPS, baby!!!

Problem with the drone theory is longevity of sighting. A drone, even taking off, is gonna out pace their vehicle very quickly. If I am being honest, it looks like someone standing in the bed of a pickup just out of camera range holding a few laser pointers taped together and waving them around. It is DEFINITELY a laser pointer though...of some sort. Notice the blinding flare when the laser is pointed directly at the camera. It isnt a spot light.

Screams handheld laser pointer.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Ahh.. I understand.. no hard feelings..

To people around here Watertown is just Watertown (in NY with a big Army base near by, Fort Drum).. who knew there was a suburb of Cambridge.. Boston..that was Watertown.. and why didn't they just call it Cambridge..or at least make it a little clearer. When that story first broke I was like.. WOAH the bombers came all the way to down here??

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well the reflection of the light on the pavement is quite bright at times.
That would lead me to believe what ever the light was mounted on was fairly low to the ground.

I just wonder what possessed them to keep driving/follow it if they thought it was a UFO. She seemed frightened.
Did they want to be abducted

edit on 30-4-2013 by azureskys because: spelling correction

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Very cool.

The light seems to hit all angles in some sort touring pattern. Like a mapping bot.

Also the light shines directly below its source, and in front of it, showing it is definitely not coming from a vehicle on the ground.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Templeton

There is zero reason to suspect the light is pointing straight down.
Not enough data.
All we can tell is that it is pointing roughly down.

Straight down and clearly establishing? Sorry, but no.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Watch the YouTube video at around the 12 second mark. You can see the light go from pointed forward the camera to all around and below the source to ahead of the source and away from the camera.

top topics

join