It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hearing a fingers run down a chalkboard, or a car alarm that will never shut off...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
To some of us, that is extremely annoying. To the point where we get anxiety or panic attacks. To other people however, it may sound like a sweet symphony.

A while back there was a video of a young child who was born deaf, and was given an implant to make him hear again. It went viral because of how endearing the video was. You could see this little boys face light up once he heard sound for the very first time.

It moved most people that watched it.

For those people who go through parts of their life with absolutely no sound in the background, it must be one of the most confusing, yet joyous moments they will ever experience.

Here is another story similar to that one:

Published on Sep 2, 2012
Takes a few minutes but worth the experience. Our niece has been deaf since she was born. She has never heard the sound of her parents voice or her 6 year old son, Blake. Every day for the next several months she will learn how sound works and where it comes from.

Update: thank you to everyone that appreciates and feels what a beautiful time this was and continues to be for Amy and our families. She is continuing her hard work of speech and sound therapy to distinguish what sound is. Her pronunciation has improved vastly and she can hear words and especially music! Naturally, after a lifetime of lip reading and signing, it is still necessary for her to rely on that skill to have conversation in a group. Every day is new and sometimes an exhausting experience. She loves the challenge to improve yet more and she is a joy to be around. By the way, Amy has a high school diploma and college degree! This girl never let anything get in her way to be her best!

Please don't post ugly or inappropriate comments, we love her very much and if you can't be supportive than keep your twisted thoughts and words to yourself.

Learning to talk, to hear, to redo everything you learned already must seem like a daunting task, but it should be a good reminder to us of all the things we have.

Published on Sep 1, 2012
Our niece Amy, hears for the first time. She's 26 years old and has a 6 year old son. This is just a start to the road ahead to learn what sound is and where it comes from. It was the most amazing day ever to be a witness to this medical miracle and a true gift from God.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The fingers and the chalkboard.....That was part of our early programming. They were trying to teach us to fear something that really didn't even bother anyone. Conditioning is all it was, as one kid covers their ears, eventually they all start covering their ears to appear normal. We were told it bothered us when in essence it didn't. The monkey see monkey do test.
edit on 30-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Thank you for posting this. These videos always bring a lump to my throat...just a good reminder of how easy most of us have it.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The fingers and the chalkboard.....That was part of our early programming. They were trying to teach us to fear something that really didn't even bother anyone. Conditioning is all it was, as one kid covers their ears, eventually they all start covering their ears to appear normal. We were told it bothered us when in essence it didn't. The monkey see monkey do test.
edit on 30-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Not for me. It grates right inside me. Like a baby screaming in a mall or the high pitched chirping of a cricket. Agony to my ears.

Did you need someone to tell you it was a bad sound? Because no one told me. And to this day I still cannot stand certain sounds.

Man some people with their programmed this, "they" that... you don't even think about it do you, before it just comes streaming out... Oo Do farts really smell like roses? Maybe thats why the tell us they stink. They want all the farts for themselves...

Awesome thoughts Boncho, I remember that video of the kid hearing for the first time.
You couldn't but smile with him.. That is a good start to the day, glad I read this instead of something else.

Hopefully I can take that with me through the day and get on with the mundane things, instead of seeing it as a grind I've got to endure, remembering I could have to do it from a world of silence, or even darkness, I've got little to complain about when it really boils down.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Very glad this injected a modicum of positivity into the world today. I guess I can ask my girl for a back massage later since I was a good boy.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Great video and thanks for posting it, A star for you sir.

What is amazing to me is the sensation of the (first timer) who has no idea of the sound and their brain processing power to cope with the emotions and then start analysing the new information in right order without collapsing.

Human is amazing.

Thanks again.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Great video. Here's another part to that video:

new topics

top topics

join