It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers find high-fructose corn syrup may be tied to worldwide collapse of bee colonies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Researchers find high-fructose corn syrup may be tied to worldwide collapse of bee colonies

phys.org

Since approximately 2006, groups that manage commercial honeybee colonies have been reporting what has become known as colony collapse disorder—whole colonies of bees simply died, of no apparent cause. As time has passed, the disorder has been reported at sites all across the world, even as scientists have been racing to find the cause, and a possible cure. To date, most evidence has implicated pesticides used to kill other insects such as mites. In this new effort, the researchers have found evidence to suggest the real culprit might be high-fructose corn syrup, which beekeepers have been f
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
on the very day that pesticides are banned in some counties to stop bee die offs, i found a physorg article that gives evidence that the artificial "diet" of bees could be the culprit.

when you take bees honey they require something to eat, and they are feed HFCS and it is creating an imbalance in their digestion and making them susceptible to toxins.

Commercial honeybee enterprises began feeding bees high-fructose corn syrup back in the 70's after research was conducted that indicated that doing so was safe. Since that time, new pesticides have been developed and put into use and over time it appears the bees' immunity response to such compounds may have become compromised

Read more at: phys.org...

phys.org...

if its harmful to bees, is it harmful to people?

either way you look at it something is not right.
if bees die then so do our crops,
if HFCS makes bees sick then why are we eating it?

if sugar from honey is good and fake sugar like HFCS is bad how do we remove it from our food?

xploder

phys.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I've just posted the news of the Europe-wide ban and another member has added the link to your thread in his reply.
The ban is affecting three neonicotinoids which are considered the most harmful and the suspension is limited to two years. If the bee colonies still keep collapsing it would be a strong indication that the pesticides are not the culprit, so this ban is better than any field trial.

Scientists found that bees consuming one pesticide suffered an 85% loss in the number of queens their nests produced, while another study showed a doubling in "disappeared" bees – those that failed to return from food foraging trips. The significance of the new work, published in Science, is that it is the first carried out in realistic, open-air conditions.

link

Chemical companies are fighting this ban tooth and nail, so we will hear definitely very soon when there is no improvement.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

It is interesting though, I thought it was determined a couple of months ago that Monsanto was the Culprit.

I guess they (Monsanto) Must have Paid someone to Create these New findings.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I would also be willing to bet that the obesity rates and diabetes rates would decline very quickly if this poisonous product was taken away from our food chain!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Or even sugar in general.

But TBH bees live on sugar - we do not - and I see no great evidence of a Human Colony Collapse disorder going on - we seem to be doing perfectly well breeding ourselves more and more even with HFCS, GMO, Fluoride and chemtrails!!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

i am glad these types of pesticides are being banned,
and i support trying to keep bees alive

i was just pointing out that we need to look at what we are FEEDING to the bees as food as this may be also a contributing factor.

i think we should remove the pesticides AND feed bees only real honey.

its worth doing both to save them.

xploder

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Originally posted by Druid42
SnF for another interesting bee thread. I'm a beekeeper, so I like to keep up-to-date.

I'd like to add something as well.

It's not so much the corn syrup itself, but the fact that the corn syrup is made from treated corn. The Neonicotinoidals that that they use as a pesticide. On the seeds. The processed corn has the residue, and it winds up in the corn syrup in small amounts. I agree with the indirectly part completely. PPM, sure, but enough to accumulate in their tiny insect bodies. Enough to mess with their delicate nervous system.

And it's not so much they are taking their honey to sell, as the US imports most of the domestic supply from China. It's the fact that bee companies can no longer profit from local sales due to imports, and they have started to farm their bees out as pollinators. Bees can go from California to pollinate the almond crop in spring, down to Georgia for the peaches, and after a few other stops, wind up back in CA for the winter. During this transport, the bees are stressed, and they never really have a chance to store honey. They are fed cheap corn syrup to keep them alive, and disrupting what millions of years of evolution has established.

We only feed our bees white sugar, dissolved, and usually only when the weather is inclimate or it's a new hive. It's a tad more expensive, but better for them. Unfortunately, when a beekeeping company has a tight bottom line, the cost for bulk HFCS and WS makes the decision for them. More bees needlessly die.

Quoted from this thread from earlier today, in Fragile Earth.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I'm with ya. It's strange that we so often have to go full cycle before coming back to common sense. Bees are very special creatures, i hope they get well soon.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Back in 1970s high-fructose corn syrup was not made from GM corn.
Now all high-fructose corn syrup is made from GM corn.
The first GM Bt corn first commercialized in 1996 by Monsanto.

that would account for the CCD not affecting bee where i live because the bee keepers here do not use high-fructose corn syrup but use cane or beet sugar syrup because it seldom gets real cold in the desert.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If this were the case it would ONLY be commercially fed honeybees that would be affected.

It's not the case. Many private apiarists have also experienced problems.

I cannot trust this article too much, just too timely. Seems to be a quick knee-jerk report to steer the focus away from the real problem. Bloody chemical companies sucking every buck they can regardless of the consequenses.

Also, I hate articles that start with "Researchers...."
Usually overpaid pawns employed to create false and/or misleading reports and usually employed by big business.

I seem to remember as a kid, my grandfather feeding his bees good old fashioned sugar when they needed it. The white stuff we use everyday in the home.
edit on 30/4/2013 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by seeker1963

Or even sugar in general.

Sugar is not GMO, unless it is from GMO beets. Corn syrup is all GMO,
so it is chock full of the neonics. Sugar is not equal to corn syrup!

It is the neonics, and even the way uptake of aluminum is affected
that is killing the bees.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Its GMO to blame 100%. And they have their nasty GMO bees, you can buy them in little packages for their GMO poison seeds. But they are killing of the natural Bees on purpose.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I have seen Diabetics eating natural sugar cane :puz

lifestyle.iloveindia.com...

Weird Huh?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by XPLodER

It is interesting though, I thought it was determined a couple of months ago that Monsanto was the Culprit.

I guess they (Monsanto) Must have Paid someone to Create these New findings.

They may be indirectly responsible because they make GMO corn and the HFCS is a product of that.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
It makes sense. All this cheap supply of HFCS has put honey bees out of a job. The colony gets depressed as they spiral into poverty, depression, suicide and anti-social behaviour, causing the widespread breakdown of the colony...

OK, seriously now, there are all sorts of possible factors involved in this. RF and EMF radiation from electronic devices is one. HFCS maybe another.

There is a really good documentary on Cuba. It popped into my head as the direction of this conversation tended toward diabetes.

Ah, here it is:
www.youtube.com...

It is about how Cuba is a case study for the rest of the world, should peak oil ever materialise. Excellent doco
edit on 1-5-2013 by UnderGetty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This makes no sense to me. How could corn that has already been processed into HFCS, effect bees? HFCS is mostly used as a sweetner. Are they feeding the bees HFCS to keep the bees productive for longer?

Fact; 90% of all corn crops in the US are made from GMO corn that produce a toxic soup of Neonicotinoids. Neonicotinoid pollen is the bees true enemy here. That is what bees do! They go from flower to flower collecting pollen right? The pollen from these corn crops SPREAD to other plants, thus turning these other plants into Neonicotinoid producers! This # is toxic to all animals including humans so why the hell woulden't it effect bees?

Neonicotinoids

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Not sure if I'm correct in my thinking here,but please try to follow my train of thought.So far,we import most of our honey from china,which would hurt our domestic prices.So we feed our bee's HFCS,to save costs.If we let the bee's eat honey they produce,it might save some exposure to the GMO food.BUT.......Would the honey not also be tainted with GMO? Maybe they can process it better than HFCS,but that idea needs some research also.Maybe keep our bee's for pollination only,let them eat what they produce.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

If you added up the mass of all humans, they'd equal the mass of the ants on the planet. I think we might be at capacity.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Quiz time-Let's see... Bees are essential to our food supply (insert Einstein quote here). so should we A) one by one try to eliminate things that may be the cause. B) Do everything humanly possible to make sure the bees survive (if for no other reason than self preservation) C) let them die while we argue about what might be killing them and learn how to get our nutrition from eating dirt and rocks. D)none of the above
if you answered A...At least you're trying!
If you answered B... there may still be some hope for humankind.Congratulations!
if you answered C... you probably work for Monsanto or another pesticide/GMO company
if you answered D... I'd love to hear your plan...maybe nanotech flying robotic pollenation? or manual human pollination? how about crop dusting with pollen?! Maybe your robots ,people, or planes can learn to make honey while they're at it?
-FOOD FOR THOUGHT

<<   2 >>

join