It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bee-harming pesticides banned in Europe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Bee-harming pesticides banned in Europe

www.guardian.co.uk

Europe will enforce the world's first continent-wide ban on widely used insecticides alleged to cause serious harm to bees, after a European commission vote on Monday.

The suspension is a landmark victory for millions of environmental campaigners, backed by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), concerned about a dramatic decline in the bee population.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.france24.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
EU Bee-Killing Pesticide Ban Crumbles Under Corporate Interests
Insecticide firms in secret bid to stop ban that could save bees

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The first attempt to ban the insecticides failed last march after the UK and Germany didn't back the proposal. Intense secret lobbying by British ministers and chemical companies against the ban could not stop it from passing yesterday in a second voting. This is truly a landmark decision and positive sign for all who joined in on the campaign to save the bees. Excellent news for a change.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Says in America back in the 70s they started feeding domesticated Bees High fructose corn syrup which kills their immune system and they die when eating GMO type crops. S&F for you I would like someone to get to the bottom of this mess.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is WONDERFUL news!
Thanks so much for posting it!

s/f

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Heard this being discussed on the radio today. Not a moment too soon: apparently 30% of all food crops are pollenated by bees.

Good to see common sense winning out for once.

NB: Anyone wanting to research the global collapse of bee populations will find all they need here:

Thread Index: Disappearing Bees

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Bees are insects.
Are there any insecticides which are not harmful to bees?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is very good news. "Europe will enforce the world's first continent-wide ban on widely used insecticides alleged to cause serious harm to bees". That is a great start, but it needs to be world wide.

I used to have a bee hive decades ago, one made by Kelly's in Clarkson Kentucky. However with the problem of hives dying off, I am at a 'wait and see' if the problem is addressed and corrected before getting involved with honey bees again. It is a sad and dangerous situation for world wide crop pollination.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Good question, but Bayer and Syngenta will definitely not wait to let us know that their products are not harmful when there is no significant change in the near future.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This IS good news, but beware the use of the word "suspension" and "ban" in the news we are reading.

A suspension sounds like there will be a point where this will get contested and the so called ban lifted. Next, I imagine we will see an engineered food shortage used as an excuse to usher these poisons back into the food chain and back into the field to harm bees.

Good news, but let's keep fighting the REAL parasites eh? Let's not get complaisant and pat ourselves on the back too much

Glad I signed the Avaaz petition and will sign any others related to keeping these poisons off our edibles and furries and back in the ground as the natural mateials they start off as.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Europe has done the right thing, and now the United Nations should also join in and urge the other continents and nations to join Europe, and end the War on Bees.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Good to see Europe is banning one of the most likely causes of the bee population decrease. Now they just need to ban the other most likely cause, cell phones

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
As creepy as I sometimes find the EU, every once in awhile it seems like they're doing something really good and worthwile. Hope it stands! (cynic in my doubts it will, but we can hope...)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

Hopefully this will be many nails in the coffin of Monsanto, Bayer and the
ilk of all of the GMO monster corps.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
These are not just bee harming pesticides... They are a 'disaster in the making'. They are systemic pesticides.. by only dipping the seed into the poison the whole plant becomes filled systemically. Bees and birds which land on the plants then become diseased with this neurotoxin. A non targeted lady bug, after being eaten by a sparrow will transmit this poison.

This is 10x worse than DDT. This pesticide is the penultimate step before humanity dies, a killer of all living creatures and it has a 1/2 life of 10 years. It does not end here people. This nightmare of death has just started.

a book by a whistleblower : Henk A. Tennekes
A Disaster in the Making
...dwarfs Rachel Carson’s "Silent Spring". The statistics are horrendous as page by page the demise of the flora and fauna of the natural ecosystems of Europe and the UK is systematically documented.

Eric McArthur, The Beekeepers Quarterly

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

Ahhhh well we all know what will happen now.

The US (Monsanto's bitch), just found that most European countries are harbouring Middle East terrorists and weapons of mass destruction...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Bees are insects.
Are there any insecticides which are not harmful to bees?

Yes, and there is also a gun that kills only bad people.

Good point Phage, in these kinds of debate the humming of bee's wings is drowned out by the whirring of money counting machines.

Incidentally, Ireland, ABSTAINED from the vote.
Our spineless government/accountants were afraid of offending multinational corporations and to hell with bees/pollination/far thinking/human survival. Short term enrichment of the ignorant elite will doom the world.
Can someone please stop the world, I want to get off!

Shame on them, shame on them all.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
So good to wake up to some Good news-this is encouraging.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Makes me so angry that our British ministers are against the ban - just who do these people think they are? I don't know of one 'ordinary' person in the whole world who would want to permit something which would endanger bees, yet ministers who are supposed to be representing the views of average people, blatantly ignore us and vote against the ban.

The corruption is rife and really needs to be stamped out, but I don't know how.

We should have a global mutual law which percieves endangering/destroying species and their habitats for profit, as the most heinous crimes of all, and severe prison sentences should be handed out. Our planet needs to be protected from those who would endanger it and life on it.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
We have the power to stop Monsanto, vote with your wallets. Do not buy products with GM ingredients, opt for locally produced organic food where you can. We cant just sit back and hope for it to change.

If we still want a world where we can get cheap food, whenever we want it then you are going to have to accept companies like Monsanto as part of the machine, or we can make a change.

You know, be the change you want to see in the world and all that jazz.

If we blindly just go in to the supermarkets and continue to buy this crap then they continue to get stronger. We are the market, we are giving them power, no matter how much we say stop, they are just gonna look at their balance sheets and sales figures and think we are not serious because the money keeps on rolling in.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I am glad this has happened,yet ashamed of my government (UK),who tirelessly lobbied AGAINST the ban.
I hope it sees a turnaround in the decline of the bees.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join