It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick Question for the 'Yanks'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Sorry I know you lot don't like being called that aha.

But - Just a quickie...

I thought it was AGAINST the Constitution for US troops to operate on their own soil

Can somebody help enlighten the Brit please

(Boston BTW)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Whaaaat?? I don't know where you heard that, but if someone invades our soil, you're damn tootin' our U.S. troops are going to be operating on our soil!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

The "patriot act" fixed that little problem, now the military can do a wonderful assortment of things apparently.
This is why it was called the patriot act, it works against patriots.

(Edit)
No probs with the title yank either, not with me anyway.

edit on 30-4-2013 by g146541 because: yankee

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Well, wank
, it would help us to know where you've heard this from. I've never heard that before but I can tell you this, brain washed or not, our soldiers are very patriotic.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
Well, wank
, it would help us to know where you've heard this from. I've never heard that before but I can tell you this, brain washed or not, our soldiers are very patriotic.

Sorry I don't recall where I heard it

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

no - there is nothing in the consitution definining any geographical limits on the operations of the US military

however - the posse comitatus act did limit what military forces [ excluding the USCG ] could do within US borders

yrs - ape [ UK resident ]

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

no - there is nothing in the consitution definining any geographical limits on the operations of the US military

however - the posse comitatus act did limit what military forces [ excluding the USCG ] could do within US borders

Yes, they can't act as law enforcement (make arrests, etc.), but they can support law enforcement in times of emergencies. I think there was a resolution by congress, clarifying that. I don't believe military arrested the Boston bombing suspect - it was the FBI along with local law enforcement that made the actual arrest.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Its been a long time but I think my oath went something like "to defend against all enimies foregin and domestic"

Yank dosent offend me as it is short for Yankee as in Yankee Merchant ships used in the Revelotionary war. While not very effective against warships from the Royal Navy they did have a serious impact.

Lloyd's of London estimates that 2,208 British ships were taken by Yankee privateers, amounting to almost $66 million, a very significant sum at the time.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

i think that it is the cia that is only allowed to operate over seas and not in the states .
but if they obey this rule is another question .

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It's in Germany, that troops are not allowed to operate on their own soil.

Found this disturbing, though from the wiki link on the Posse Comitatus Act...

Unarmed USAF drone aircraft routinely track American civilian auto traffic as training exercises to prepare for later missions.

Here's the source...

Military drones routinely track civillian autos

Tfw.

edit on 30/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: A single interaction can have multiple interpretations.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

NDAA changed that also, well so it seems. Still some debate over that,

Nevertheless, there is substantial public debate and uncertainty around whether Sections 1021 and 1022 of the NDAA could be read even to repeal the Posse Comitatus Act and authorize indefinite military detention without charge or trial within the United States.

www.aclu.org...
edit on 30-4-2013 by Covertblack because: Link

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

We're not really offended by anything (as a whole), which is why nothing sticks...certainly not "Yanks" from you lot across the pond, hehe....

The military has traditionally been limited to certain duties on domestic soil, in times of peace, however these roles have been broadened by recent legislation. Most of what you saw in Boston was military-style specialized police units, such as SWAT, and other law enforcement, using military equipment or their own para-military equipment. These are under the law enforcement umbrella, not military.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Haven't at some times groups of soldiers been deputized so they can help the local law enforcement with tasks with permission from their base's CO? i'd imagine its mainly for tracking wanted people through areas like forests etc where numbers are important in trying to find the wanted person

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Forget what you just heard about the Patriot Act.

Militaries have been Operating on US Soil since the Invention Of The Minute Man, which later became known as the National Guard.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
thanks for all the replies guys - most helpful!

top topics

join