For those interested in (for/against) gun laws.

page: 1

join

posted on May, 13 2003 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Just thought both sides of the arguments might find this interesting.

The U.K's police federation recently commissioned a survey on their officer’s attitude to becoming armed, as it does occasionally.

Despite rising gun crime in Britain, 78% of officers who responded to the survey said they did not want to regularly carry firearms, down only 1% from the last survey in '95.

47% are in favour of the mandatory wearing of body armour

However 80% wanted more officers trained to use and issued with firearms. There are 800 less trained firearm officers in the U.K than 5 years ago.

I seen this story last night and a percentage was mentioned of the amount of officers that would rather retire than carry a firearm, but I can't seem to find this info now. It was a high percentage, in the 70% range I think.

The main reason (given by this article anyway) for the reluctance to carry guns:

Federation chairman Jan Berry said: "Once again this result proves that, in spite of huge risks and dangers police officers face, they acknowledge the vital importance of policing by consent, in partnership with the communities they serve.

"They recognise that openly carrying guns would fundamentally change their relationship with the public."

news.bbc.co.uk...

[Edited on 13-5-2003 by kegs]

new topics

join