It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion...videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I cannot play youtube videos, and I keep clicking on threads, to find that a video is posted.
There is sometimes a description of what the subject is, but people (understandably) do not want to put spoilers and a full run down of the whole thing.

I (being a curious girl, in a place that has been raining for days....
) get very frustrated because then I want to see it, I want to know what it said, and can't.

Instead of whining and complaining, I'd rather just be able to make the choice to not click on such threads in the first place and not stimulate my curiosity.

I am wondering if it has ever been considered to place some sort of alert on thread lists, that the OP has a video?
Or maybe a rule that people need to put one with their title?

It's just a suggestion, for your consideration. I don't know, perhaps I am the only one unable to watch them, so it isn't worth the trouble. I just throw it out there in case it has been an issue for anyone else and there might be an efficient and simple way to deal with it.
edit on 29-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

You can't watch Youtube videos? That sounds like a Flash update in serious need of attention. Youtube is bigger than all the major broadcast networks combined in views.

Everyone should be able to watch Youtube videos unless they are on a barbaric dial up net service.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Yeah. It is updated, and that is when the problem started. But since then we have been through the whole process over and over, making sure the previous version is erased, and the newest one is in and active. The Adobe site recognizes it as properly installed and working (and being the appropriate and latest version).

I have been searching through my browser system, because they have told me it might be some setting there that is getting in the way, but I don't know what I am doing and am making everything more and more screwed up!

But the problem started a couple of weeks ago when Flash Player was updated- I was able to see youtube videos until that day, so......

edit on 30-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Yeah. It is updated, and that is when the problem started. But since then we have been through the whole process over and over, making sure the previous version is erased, and the newest one is in and active. The Adobe site recognizes it as properly installed and working (and being the appropriate and latest version).

I have been searching through my browser system, because they have told me it might be some setting there that is getting in the way, but I don't know what I am doing and am making everything more and more screwed up!

But the problem started a couple of weeks ago when Flash Player was updated- I was able to see youtube videos until that day, so......

edit on 30-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

I would reformat my computer , that will take you back to factory settings,, or you can try your system restore and restore back to when you were not having the problem

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
FWIW, I generally can't watch videos, either, but in my case it's because I have to use the audio on my computer for something else and videos interfere with it.

In addition, I don't care for threads in which the OP posts a video and little content, because I can skim a written post to see if it has value in a minute or less, but I'm not going to watch an hour long documentary to see if it's worth an hour of my time.

That said, when I come across such, I generally just ignore them, and don't feel like they need a tag or anything (though it's nice when I occasionally see a note from a mod that says something like "add some content next time".)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

I would reformat my computer , that will take you back to factory settings,, or you can try your system restore and restore back to when you were not having the problem

I don't think that would be a good idea, because I have no idea how to do that.

The guy we bought the computer from and who did all the formatting and installations for us is about three hours away. We'll just have to pack up the whole thing and take it to him one of these days. When he is available and we have an entire day free too.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Before you go to all that trouble try downloading a new version of a browser you don't have yet, Chrome, Firefox, etc... The new browser will have the settings ready for Youtube (especially Chrome which is Google's own browser).

If you're using Opera or Safari your troubles could lie there, try a fresh new browser.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I find it frustrating because sometimes a bunch of discussion starts going, which looks like the video had thought provoking material, but I can't figure out, from the comments, what they're talking about.

But whatever, apparently I am alone on this. I just threw it out there just in case.

Never mind.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I'm using Firefox. I guess I'll try uploading another browser system. Thanks for the suggestion.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Hey, thanks for the advice! I got Chrome and my problem is solved! I appreciate the help!

top topics

join