It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK, so I am at the check-out counter at the market...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Waiting in line. And you know what that is like? You are surrounded by candy bars, mints, gum, and magazines. Right?

All the Enquirer magazines and those gossip rags like it, have on the front page some kind of WRONG facts about the Boston bombing. With, of course, the caveat about having to look inside to find the real deal. You know how those magazines are.

And it got me to thinking...Jeez this is how a lot of people get their information. I mean, I guess there are some that watch CNN or the 6:00 news, but for reals, people raising families are cooking dinner, checking homework, and yelling at their kids about that hour. I doubt if they are still awake for the 11:00 broadcast.

It is no wonder that everyone is so uninformed and DISINFORMED, Busy, exhausted people picking up dinner at the market on their way home from work and catch these headlines while they are waiting in line. They don't have the time or the energy or even the gumption to investigate further.

Just giving you a perspective on the working family with school kids.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

I wouldn't be surprise if magazines like that would get facts wrong. When Chris Benoit died years ago there was a rush to create "documentaries/biographies" of him and the crime. I remember this lady who claimed, with a straight face, claimed WCW was the poor man's WWE (WWF at the time). I was like whoa! Slow down! Because there was a time when the WWE was in financial peril and losing the ratings to WCW. How can someone like this lady just say that without researching anything and how many people who don't know anything about wrestling believe her. It's crazy how gullible people are and would believe anything regardless if it's the truth or not.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'm Justa Beeber and aliens are having my baby...
what more does a body need to know?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Ha ha ha. That is funny. How about: My ex was an alien for sure!!

That issue was a best seller.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I thought everyone knew those magazines were BS??

On a side note, how do you REALLY know what you've learned is correct, and what's in those magazines is wrong?

edit on 29-4-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reminds me of the scene in MIB

Kay: We're gonna check the hot sheets.
[Kay pulls up to a newsstand and buys a pile of supermarket tabloids]
Jay: THESE are the hot sheets?
Kay: Best investigative reporting on the planet. But go ahead, read the New York Times if you want. They get lucky sometimes.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I think a lot of people do. You should look at this weeks' edition front page. It is pretty gnarly in the propaganda arena. Real bad.

It is just more of the brainwashing of the whole incident. It is like we are attacked from every corner. MSM, radio, and the damn check out counter of the grocery store.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Cuz, I can think. I don't need someone to tell me what is real. I listened to twenty hours of the cop scanner. I heard everything. I also studied 9/11 for five friggin years. What else you got?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
-I know this will sound cruel and I do not mean it as such, but...

Most people are and have always been easily led and manipulated in a variety of ways. People 9through rumor and bad information) were caught in a mob frenzy which resulted in Hundreds of years of Witch burning (Werewolf sightings, Officials reporting seeing Satanic Powers used, etc.) which trickled down to people who assumed it fact- And then regular people began reporting seeing these things which just reinforced a giant myth which was taken as fact by an entire society.

-So as a whole, people are dumb. Myself included. We are easily manipulated and controlled (all of us) and the longer society continues, the harder it is to find truth about ...Anything. So our entire opinions on everything may not really be our own and much of our original thoughts are affected.

The problem is, the manipulation comes now from such a scientific position. Advertising is a science and getting better all the time, our habits have been studied, cataloged and used against us. They are now hooking Children to brain scanners and having them watch commercials to study what patterns, words, combinations, etc. excite the brain the most. Scary stuff.

So factoring in the $$$ to made by sensationalizing everything, a 24 hour news cycle, advertising everywhere (checkouts being big for 'impulse buys'), real conspiracy happening occasionally, when the Official Story is true the motives and reasons behind it are often fabricated and facts twisted to fit an agenda, and the bombardment of propaganda everywhere- truth is now totally elusive.

All we can do now is find the lies (they are everywhere) but trying to figure out the motive of the lie is impossible.

Things are dire. A very advanced and technological and "pretty" slavery is being imposed now.
edit on 29-4-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

ha ha. That was cute. Love, love, love MIB. Total classic

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
It's a scary thing to consider, isn't it? There really are people that just get their info that way. My wife always playfully picks on me for getting so much of my news from this site, but when you consider the rabbit hole of links and sources that most of us click through, it becomes a stark contrast to the headline by tweet and magazine checkout blurbs that so many filter their news through. Just one more example of Mike Judge's Idiocracy unfolding before us...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

No, not at all, you didn't sound cruel at all. I get what you are saying.

Here is what I think: The machine is too great. Jeez they have spent decades buying up the airwaves and newsprint, and enslaving the masses. As much as their is alternative media for those that are inclined to take a look, there are other alternative medias that are very destructive. We truly live in a divided country. My own sister has been completely ideologically brainwashed by right wing media. She hates Muslims and so on and so forth.

They kicked our ass. For lack of a better description. We are not going to win this thing divided as we are. No way. They have been laying the tracks for decades while we were not paying attention.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Im sorry but if you want to be more informed then you can and will be, there is a horrible notion that "no one has the time", well then make the time, I can guarantee you that with all of that (work, kids, dinner) that while eating they are watching useless shows on DVR's, and reading the Enquirer just makes it easier than reading something that will make you think.

Ask around here there are business owners, blue and white collar workers, there are many moms and Im included, etc,. and many are top contributors, and if we can find the time, so can anybody else.

There are tons of reasons why someone wouldnt be informed, but I can tell you this "not having the time" should never be one of them. Of course right now anyone one of us logged in right now could be doing dozens of other things, but yet here we are

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Kay, I get you. And I don't think I said they were reading those magazines. Only that they "may" have been influenced by the headlines at the check-out. I think I made that pretty clear.

Furthermore, there are a host of alternative media these days. They are not always truth-bearers, in fact there is just as much disinformation on the internet now as there is in the MSM, in fact there is even more. I dare you to prove me wrong. Also, people have certain leanings and they tend to be drawn to those sources. They think they are just as right as you and I are.

So, I will have to disagree. Truth is not as easy to come by as you think.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Truth is not as easy to come by as you think.

I am assuming that you meant that as part of your point and not a direct statement. There is no way that anyone can truly know he truth, thats what brings people to places like this. Having a preference is what everybody has, and yes that brings divide, but that doesnt make anyone anymore or less right than you or me.

Yet trying to differentiate between how people are becoming informed based on where they get their information is just as bad as a MSM buff, who laughs at members of ATS because of where we get our information. Amazingly we all have the same questions we just ask in different ways, and that I fear will be the leading cause of both chaos, and stupidity.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I never really looked at it like that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Maybe, I am too stubborn and believe that I hold the only truth, and have little tolerance for those that may think differently.

Nah, I am still right.

Just kidding. No, really you made me think.

However, I believe truth does not have a bias. That fence is either red or it isn't. Just to break it down real simple.

Anyway. I am enjoying your imput.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I am sure there are a slight handful of morons, that take tabloids, as the REAL news, but most literate people in the world, who passed High School, up until the mid 90's, I cannot speak for this generation, have enough education to know tabloids are garbage...

Yet here we are dismissing tabloids on ATS, a big irony.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
kicks ATS!!!

double post somehow...
edit on 29-4-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I don't think reading the Enquirer @ your local check-out makes you any dumber then the person that thinks everyone is reading those rags because they have a job and a family and they have to get dinner on the table and help finish home-work. I know a lot of intelligent people that find time to investigate the "real" News.

If the OP's theory were correct then I think more would believe in 2 headed blue babies and that Elvis fathered them. Lmao

The reason a lot of people are in the dark imo is because they trust their Government and to not trust them is just way to scary. People don't want to believe that our Own Government has become so Corrupt that they are willing to kill 3000 people on American soil. That they would drug a kid and blame a mass murder on him. That they would make it look like 20 school kids were killed just so they can tighten our gun laws all the while their stock piling them and bullets.

I really don't think it's because families need to yell at their children during the 6pm News hour. lol It might happen @ the OP's house and that's why they feel most people live that way.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

It is not just tabloids. How many times have you heard those around repeat meme's that they have received from the msm??? It is about the saturation of information to those that don't have the time to take a look see.

Just this afternoon my dad was watching some bs cable news channel and they were still talking about the freakin landing gear from 9-11 being found after that was debunked days ago. WTH. People believe this stuff. That is the PROBLEM.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join