It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maloney: Background Check Would Have Stopped Boston Bombing Suspect

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by neo96

That's why hardly anyone can buy pure AN off the shelf anymore. Most AN sold is mixed so that it can not be used as an explosive.

Really? I wasn't aware it wasn't produced in its pure form anymore. So I guess they no longer have to keep tabs on the purchases anymore. I doubt they can alter the pressure cooker to prevent it from using it as an explosive.

I can see it now. There will be a new warning label on the box, as well as an added piece of paper in with the instructions stating, "This is not to be used as an explosive device"

That should stop the madness, huh?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

I know there are still people that refuse to remove mattress tags under penalty of law...

Just sayin...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I can't believe people vote these moronic jackasses into Congress to write laws for us.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by WeRpeons

Since the Oklahoma City bombing, I think they keep tabs on the amount of ammonium nitrate people purchase.

That's why hardly anyone can buy pure AN off the shelf anymore.

Most AN sold is mixed so that it can not be used as an explosive.

Neo, anything sold like that is a matter of extraction. as for answering WeRpeons post, the register is within a time frame perhaps a couple of years after that and no incident, no comeback.
After that again, probably heaps of the stuff stored somewhere safely or otherwise.
edit on 29-4-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Maybe, just maybe the background check might have impeded his ability to obtain a Firearm, however, the last time I checked, there was No background check required to buy Pressure Cookers, Ball Bearings, and Nails.

Which I might add is what he obtained to do the Initial Damage with.

The gun issue did not even enter the equation until nearly a week later.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by neo96

Maybe, just maybe the background check might have impeded his ability to obtain a Firearm, however, the last time I checked, there was No background check required to buy Pressure Cookers, Ball Bearings, and Nails.

Which I might add is what he obtained to do the Initial Damage with.

The gun issue did not even enter the equation until nearly a week later.

I assure you , here, in Massachusetts, it is one of the most rigorous (only second to Conn) to get a licensed handgun. You cannot simply walk into a store and buy one. Also, it is ILLEGAL to purchase one out-of-state and carry it into the state without going through a licensed FFL dealer first.

He had this weapon illegally. NO amount of "background check" would have prevented his obtaining it on the street on the black-market (as evidenced by the serial # being scratched off).

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Oddly enough, Williams-Sonoma apparently pulled pressure cookers from the shelves. But, you can still buy them online? Easier to track the sale

A local news outlet is reporting that the home-goods retailer, Williams-Sonoma has pulled pressure cookers from their shelves in the aftermath of the Boston attack.

According to the Dedham Patch, Williams-Sonoma has pulled pressure cookers off the shelves out of respect for the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing.

Kent, a store manager of the Williams-Sonoma at the Natick Mall says:

"It's a temporary thing out of respect."

Authorities have confirmed that pressure cookers were used by the two men who planned and carried out the bombing at the Boston Marathon last Monday.

Williams-Sonoma says that the product will still be available online

cnsnews.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Oddly enough, Williams-Sonoma apparently pulled pressure cookers from the shelves. But, you can still buy them online? Easier to track the sale

Wouldn't it be just as easy to track the sale if the in-store policy was credit-card purchase only for these items? Then, those customers that want them for cooking food would still be able to get them in-store without shipping charges added on the purchase? Or, does this idea make too much sense, and not a knee-jerk reaction to fear?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

Fear is a powerful thing. That's why we all need to be attentive to laws being changed in response to terrorist bombings. We can't always stop someone who is determined to kill, "When there's a will there's always a way."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join