It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO sheep glow in the dark!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Modern "science" has done it yet again... now we have frankensheep:

These sheep really do shine from within. A group of scientists in Uruguay have announced that they have successfully modified the genetic makeup of sheep to make them glow-in-the-dark. Scientists from the Animal Reproduction Institute of Uruguay said they used a fluorescent protein from an Aequarea jelly fish to give a flock of nine sheep a distinct glowing green color when exposed to certain ultraviolet light. So far, aside from their unique genetic modification, the animals are developing normally and roaming the fields like any other sheep. One of the team’s lead researchers, Alejo Menchaca, said that the modification was done not out of medical research but the desire to “fine-tune the technique.”

Really? Maybe next they can engineer wolves with night vision... then sharks with friggin lasers on their heads...

Sheep are not the first animals to be modified to glow-in-the-dark. Scientists have created a glow-in-the-dark animal trend using zebrafish, cats, dogs, pigs, scorpions, worms, monkeys, mice, and more. These seemingly wacky experiments do have a purpose though. According to researchers, they believe these genetically modified animals can help us better understand diseases and how they develop in both animals and humans. Scientists have used glow-in-the-dark cats to research HIV and AIDS.

latino.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I cannot wait for my glow in the dark sheep and mattress by Serta. Now I could not be afraid of the dark and get a comfortable sleep at night.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
My OP was submitted in all seriousness; why must we denigrate into jokes of farmers molesting sheep? How friggin childish do you have to be? Research like this is poisoning the food chain and threatening our very survival! Grow up!!

Wait.... glow in dark sheep... ok, pretty damned funny!!!

A black light rave in the pasture??

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

Sorry, I thought the jokes were funny. Anyway I do agree that we have to be careful with our science in genetically engineering animals.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

It'll making counting sheep before bed ezier, that's for sure

All jokes aside...... Oh who am I kidding... It's wrong yes... But I can't help but keep thinking of 1 liners for this forum... I'll stop before I do some extremem T&C breakage

SnF this is just wrong~

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Really doesn't surprise me. KFC has modified their "chickens" to not grow feathers and reach adulthood faster. Just google it. too many pages to show sources. Tis be a fact

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
In all honesty it is funny and sad at the same time. We can make sheep jokes all day (well, I can, I am from WV.. j/k to my fellow Mountaineers) but this stuff is genuinely scary... what effect is this stuff going to have on future generations?

edit on 29-4-2013 by madmac5150 because: My cat does not control me

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I still find it hilarious that the majority of scientists try and play God. And even if you do not believe in God playing Nature and changing animals' DNA is soooooo wrong it's sickening. WTF did those sheep do to deserve that? No living creature needs their DNA tampered with.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wanderer777

Really doesn't surprise me. KFC has modified their "chickens" to not grow feathers and reach adulthood faster. Just google it. too many pages to show sources. Tis be a fact

Uggg really? Dang now i cant eat KFC! Ok not that i liked thier food anyway.

Ok when do we get the glow in the dark mutation, that would be awesome! Wait never mind, it wouldnt be awesome for the boyfriend hiding under the bed. Never mind.

Seriously how could this be safe? Really? I wouldnt eat them, however if the wool glowed after being sheared off now that could be a cottage industry. But glow in the dark sheep meat? No Thanks!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I could only imagine the implication's these GMO foods will have on us generational wise. Wait until one of these babies glows in the dark.... Unfortunately someone might think there jebus.... Only later to find out it's a Authentic GMO "Green" baby~

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wanderer777

WTF did those sheep do to deserve that? No living creature needs their DNA tampered with
DNA gets "tampered with" on a continuous basis, by nature. Where do you think inherited mutations come from?

So a gene was spliced which affects the pigmentation of sheep's wool. Big deal. Of course, the point is not making sheep glow under black light. The point is refining techniques which may be used to cure genetic disease. Terrible.

edit on 4/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

or they birthed an Alien!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Ok, and here I was thinking GMOs are bad. Now I'm thinking they're BAD ARSE!!

I want a glow in the dark dog, flip out intruders. Ghost dog!

I see they made glow in the dark scorpions, buy why? I've had scorpions, and if you put a black light on them they'll glow green. Best way to hunt them is at night with a black light.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join