It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most hazardous material on planet leaking at U.S. nuclear site, worker brought to tears over leaking

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Oh boy. I hope this isn't the end. Why on Earth did they ignore the warning signs? They have our fate in their hands, and they ignore the warning signs? I just hope they'll be able to contain it, or else it's every man for himself.

Has it finally hit the fan?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
You know, with the way corporations and other business entities control this country through corruption and capitalism it is not surprising that the very industries that should be the most highly regulated, the ones with the most potential to harm innocent citizens, are not properly regulated or cared for. Despite what conservatives say, the government should be highly involved in regulating businesses around the country, because businesses are more concerned with profits than people, and thus often times do not spend the money to fix costly problems, at the expense of safety to the population.

But to fix this problem we must do more than increase government regulation of businesses; we must fix the government itself. Certain parts of the government work as they were designed to work, and this is because there are good and honest people who are in charge of these particular groups. But much of the time this is not the case, and why should the business care? I will tell you how they view these situations, so pay attention if you do not already understand this:

They see a problem that would be very costly to fix, and they analyze which would cost them more, to fix the problem, or to just pay the fines and lawsuits if the problem causes harm to people or lands or whatever. This tells you that they are not afraid of breaking the law, simply because in these large corporations no one is going to be criminally prosecuted. They may have to pay a fine or something, at the very least. Look at the oil spill that recently occurred. Look at what happened in Japan at Fukashima. Looking over the history of that particular plant, corners were cut in the construction itself, despite the fact that those who were paying for the facility knew the potential dangers. They knew if an earthquake or other natural disaster struck they would likely have a huge problem that would kill lots of people. Did they care? Nope.

So the first step is to eliminate the corruption between the government and businesses, and then increase the regulations placed on these businesses, especially if they deal with hazardous materials or have the potential to harm people in the event of an accident. Then we need to start enforcing new laws that send those who make the decisions that kill people, even inadvertently, to prison. What is the motivation for businesses of this caliber to spend the money to avert these types of accidents, when they are not afraid of the consequences of such an accident? We need to put this fear into them by showing them that they will be held personally liable, meaning the big wigs of these corporations are going to be put in prison for making decisions that cost innocent people their lives. With great power comes great responsibility, and also the potential for great suffering.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
You know, something hit me like a flying brick while reading this......

What happens to all these places if there is a long term loss of order and general society structure? Repairs and Maintenance definitely stop happening, I'm guessing. Hundreds of sites of both similar nature and very different but carrying equally dangerous threat. How long before what is contained (or barely so) under the system we DO have, would utterly fail and turn a real bad world into something from a Sci-Fi horror film?

Months? Years? Maybe a decade without the level of structure that exists now? Things to ponder and something beyond the normal SHTF thinking.

I've pondered that one a long time. When the whole zombie apocalypse meme was going on, I was the Debbie Downer that asked people who were wishing for one what they planned on doing in order to maintain all the nuclear plants in the world to keep them from all melting down. Yeah, kind of took the wind out of their sails. Any kind of SHTF scenario would still risk Chernobyl type events. Takes about a week to answer your question. One week and sooner if something needs to be handled right away. If the SHTF event were to impact power supplies (ironic, eh?)--a day before the reactors begin to overheat. Not good to think about just before bed, eh?

The good news is that workers at these plants already know this stuff and, if the SHTF, I bet you anything they'd stay on as long as they could to scram (emergency shutdown) them since the alternative would be kissing their and their families' butts goodbye. At least I hope they would.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The tank in question in the original op story is contained for the moment from what I understand. Though there is radioactive venting. There are also other tanks actually leaking into the ground ,but they are not nearly as nasty as this tank.

The stuff in there is the remnants of the creation of the U.S.A.'s first nuclear bombs and others thereafter until it's decommissioning in the 80's.

It is total bs that the government and their contractors have repeatedly dropped the ball.

Again the greed of mankind shows its ugly face. The Pentagon is too busy creating war for the world elite criminals. The the DOE was in charge at the end, I noticed at wiki page there were a few notables involved such as Dupont & Atlantic Richfield. Maybe we could send the TSA and homeland security over to Hanford and give them some mops to see how long they live.
edit on 4/30/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
Has it leaked through both shells?
What harm can the fumes do to the surrounding population?
Where is it headed?

Sadly, this is my area of expertise. Exposure to radiation tends to accumulate in the thyroid, leading to thyroid disease, including cancer. Depending on the amount of exposure, it can dramatically increase the risks of cancer, including leukemia, brain, bile ducts, bladder, gall bladder, liver, pancreas, ovary, urinary tract, salivary glands, intestine--well just about freaking everywhere--and congenital birth defects or miscarriage. It also can dramatically affect the blood chemistry in the reduction of blood counts of thrombocytes, hemoglobin, lymphocytes and neurophils. Sustained impact seems to also cause damage the bladder, causing hemorrhagic cystitis. Exposure to radiation may also cause what are called genomic malformations that are passed from one generation to the next, regardless of further radiation exposure. Basically, the genome, itself, is altered through encryption errors and those errors get passed on through all the following generations.

My family was exposed to radiation. Grandfather had about 4 cancers in total--urinary tract, colon, bladder, and forgot #4. Grandmother died of salivary cancer (no kidding). Both of them lived into their 80's though so radiation exposure is survivable. Across three generations, we all have (had) hemorrhagic cystitis, malformations and absences of blood components, and enlarged thyroids. Can't really expand on transgenerational effects of radiation exposure as the US government decided that that would be too difficult to do. In other words, atomic vet families got dumped like hot rocks. Nope, not sore about that at all.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
You know, with the way corporations and other business entities control this country through corruption and capitalism it is not surprising that the very industries that should be the most highly regulated, the ones with the most potential to harm innocent citizens, are not properly regulated or cared for. Despite what conservatives say, the government should be highly involved in regulating businesses around the country, because businesses are more concerned with profits than people, and thus often times do not spend the money to fix costly problems, at the expense of safety to the population.

But to fix this problem we must do more than increase government regulation of businesses; we must fix the government itself. Certain parts of the government work as they were designed to work, and this is because there are good and honest people who are in charge of these particular groups. But much of the time this is not the case, and why should the business care? I will tell you how they view these situations, so pay attention if you do not already understand this:

They see a problem that would be very costly to fix, and they analyze which would cost them more, to fix the problem, or to just pay the fines and lawsuits if the problem causes harm to people or lands or whatever. This tells you that they are not afraid of breaking the law, simply because in these large corporations no one is going to be criminally prosecuted. They may have to pay a fine or something, at the very least. Look at the oil spill that recently occurred. Look at what happened in Japan at Fukashima. Looking over the history of that particular plant, corners were cut in the construction itself, despite the fact that those who were paying for the facility knew the potential dangers. They knew if an earthquake or other natural disaster struck they would likely have a huge problem that would kill lots of people. Did they care? Nope.

So the first step is to eliminate the corruption between the government and businesses, and then increase the regulations placed on these businesses, especially if they deal with hazardous materials or have the potential to harm people in the event of an accident. Then we need to start enforcing new laws that send those who make the decisions that kill people, even inadvertently, to prison. What is the motivation for businesses of this caliber to spend the money to avert these types of accidents, when they are not afraid of the consequences of such an accident? We need to put this fear into them by showing them that they will be held personally liable, meaning the big wigs of these corporations are going to be put in prison for making decisions that cost innocent people their lives. With great power comes great responsibility, and also the potential for great suffering.

The sad part about it is, we're nothing but sheep woven in dollar bills to these sociopaths and cancers to humanity. And then off to the slaughter house we ALL ironically go once they've taken it all, everything we and Mother Nature have to offer.

Capitalism infused with the inevitable corruption and greed that stems from it is systematically destroying the very world we live in. We're only starting to see the more serious aftereffects of what it's doing now. Environmentally, economically, socially, morally... it's hitting us hard from all angles possible.

Capitalism starts off fair, until the greedy become greedier and then oligopolies and monopolies start to form. They start crushing all the foundations of the country in the name of greed (Wal-Mart stomping your mom and pop shops, forcing them to throw in the towel and be hired, assuming they still fit a hirable age bracket), and then use shoddy business practices which are protected by the flawed judicial system of ours which continues to let them rape and pillage, first with America by destroying its industry by moving it all offshore to 'more profitable' nations and creating these one stop shops that your average local stores simply can't compete with, and now on on a more global scale. Not to mention, all of the corrupt they own in the government further protecting them (not in just the U.S.), forming new bills that are clearly in favor of them, and being their slaves for a fat bonus check (as if our tax dollars aren't enough for the greedy scum) to further their profitable agendas no matter how detrimental they'll be to humanity on a grand scale (like the bee killing pesticides that almost slipped by the EU's radar, but thankfully, enough people revolted to prevent that from happening).

How we do start to cleanse the problem? I am starting to think we need a new beginning. There's too much corrupt on the payroll at the moment and that won't be changed by simply voting for a new puppet hired by the conglomerates to continue leading us towards the slaughter. These elite are loyal to no nation but their own kind... but I think with a smart, non-corrupt government, we can start ending the problem (starting off by recreating the backbone to any nation, an industry, and one that's not primarily focused in China for one, there's a reason why our economy is failing and this is primarily it, aside from all the needless war/power struggle with nothing to fund it but credit). Question is, where do we start since voting only does so much? Revolution is the only thing that comes to mind, that or, it's too late and nature strikes back before. A population check is inevitable, whether it be natural or manufactured... and when Mother Nature finally fights back, it won't discriminate from rich to poor, or which giant pharmaceutical you're affiliated with, which is something to think about.
edit on 30-4-2013 by MrxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Because of things like this, I believe if we don't find a way off this planet, we are doomed. We can't keep polluting and contaminating our environment and expect to survive. We need people with a conscience running places like this, not ones just worried about their wallet. And sadly, that's what it boils down to. The owners have placed a value on human life and decided you aren't worth it.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

I only repost what they post? You should work for the NY Times or the Boston Globe...

Could have just printed this out of the gate..didn't know you were getting paid by the click...

The private company that manages the radioactive waste tank farms at the Hanford Site ignored or missed numerous red flags over a 10-month period that showed a double-shell tank holding some of the worst waste was leaking.

edit on 30-4-2013 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
You know, something hit me like a flying brick while reading this......

What happens to all these places if there is a long term loss of order and general society structure? Repairs and Maintenance definitely stop happening, I'm guessing. Hundreds of sites of both similar nature and very different but carrying equally dangerous threat. How long before what is contained (or barely so) under the system we DO have, would utterly fail and turn a real bad world into something from a Sci-Fi horror film?

Months? Years? Maybe a decade without the level of structure that exists now? Things to ponder and something beyond the normal SHTF thinking.

Here is an excellent,yet horrifying example of what it would be like:

Life After People:Toxic Revenge

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Anyone else notice how the news if they report on radiological leaks at all always says "does not pose an immediate threat to human health". It's always the same line. Immediately perhaps not but be sure and prepare the welcoming party for your bone or thyroid cancer baby due in five or ten years. Remember the article from the other day about Obama signing off on a law raising the acceptable radiological water contamination levels? I guess they are paying attention in Washington and making sure nothing is done. The stupid public won't know the difference if they just say that well yesterday this much would kill you but today the same amount is no cause for concern. See? The paper says so! Do the elites have access to a bona fide cancer cure or something the completely chelates radionuclides out of the body or neutralizes radiation completely? If not they are profoundly stupid for murdering so many people including themselves and their own offspring.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewarpedbrain7

Originally posted by Cinrad
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We have an historic precedent when the USSR collapsed.

elaborate please?

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1980s along with their economy, many nuclear powered warships and submarines were left to rust out in ports around the country. The old storage facilities and nuclear dump sites, the bomb themselves were all pretty much left to rust with minimal security. There was a big risk of one of them falling in to the wrong hands (actually it is probable that a few small "suitcase" nukes have but I am sure there is an ATS thread on it somewhere). If we analyse what happened then we could have a scenario of what will happen when America's economy collapses. The thing is, I don't know what has happened to all the ex Soviet stuff since then, their economy is doing well now and they could have found the money to clean the stuff up.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

So going back to it's roots, the absolute truth at it's base and purest from, that was never discussed openly concerning nuclear power, but obviously should have been is ?

1. A whole generation of humankind will enjoy cheap efficient energy ! After that everyone dies.

I think this is why God was supposed to give us knowledge ?
Cause we're effen up real bad .

edit on 30-4-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Here is a perfect example of why I believe certain things DO require federal government control. I personally believe the fed has its hands in far too many aspects of personal life and business, but they don't do enough in other areas. Without going into too much detail, I would ask those who believe the gov shoukd have no intervention or regulation of businesses, how is the free market going to make this company do what needs to be done? Unless we are free to put pressure on via crowds of citizens with pitchforks and spades, gasoline and tasers coming for the company's board of directors, I can't quite see how the free market is supposed to correct this situation.

There shoukd be a dual push to get gov out of certain areas of intervention, and massively IN to others (I.e. Strict controls and requirements to prevent and fix poisoning of the environment.)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This thread got me doing a bit of studying. I am profoundly touched by the fact I can no longer live in an ignorant state of dismissal nor denial.

Attempting to find out which countries do not currently have nuclear sites was next to impossible in a short search, but I did find some interesting facts about those countries which do house nuclear facilities and far beyond that, the accidents and mishaps.

The UAE from this quick search had 0-1, and if my geography serves me, it is by far one of the largest areas in the Middle east and yet they are rich enough and planning far enough ahead to see the futility of having death in their own back yard. How much energy do they use? Where do they get it from?

This post is not really about the UAE, but about the lack of findings on which countries are the safest places to be in the future, far from the contamination of nuclear irresponsibility.

I also realize that our planet is an organic unity, and that in truth there will be no future any place on our beautiful planet if we do not stand up and defend ourselves, our children's futures and our earths right to develop and flourish as well.

*My thought process's on what countries do not currently hold nuclear facilities was really not so much a direction of safety, but what countries are in the scope for places to invade under false pretenses.*

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Here is a perfect example of why I believe certain things DO require federal government control. I personally believe the fed has its hands in far too many aspects of personal life and business, but they don't do enough in other areas. Without going into too much detail, I would ask those who believe the gov shoukd have no intervention or regulation of businesses, how is the free market going to make this company do what needs to be done? Unless we are free to put pressure on via crowds of citizens with pitchforks and spades, gasoline and tasers coming for the company's board of directors, I can't quite see how the free market is supposed to correct this situation.

There shoukd be a dual push to get gov out of certain areas of intervention, and massively IN to others (I.e. Strict controls and requirements to prevent and fix poisoning of the environment.)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

I think of this quite often and it always comes back to the wicked truth about those who will be lucky enough to be granted access to off world planets and fresh new beginnings...

It will be the very same consciousness of humanity that has greedily allowed the world to remain in a chaotic, constant state of dull ignorance.

Makes me question if this is the first planet they have done this with?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This does have federal government control.

The federal government decided that by the time nuclear waste became a problem, we would have developed the technology to safely dispose of it.

Based on this assumption, they waived many safety laws so that the industry could get generating electricity.

So here we are today, no closer to a solution, and with temporary measures in place all through the industry that were never meant to be in place for as long as they have.

That no immediate threat to human life line is a joke.
Imagine someone telling you that there was a hired assassin out to get you, but because he currently has a back log to work through, there is no immediate threat to your life. Do you think you'd feel better about the situation?

I like how Fukushima has been summed up. We're told that the situation is stable. In reality it is stable, just like a man hanging onto a branch over the edge of a cliff. There's no immediate threat to his life as long as he doesn't let go, the branch doesn't break, or anything else happens to change the scenario.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Omgoodness WhiteAlice, I am your friend if only in cyber spirit from this day forward. I will always have your back and respect you fully. I 'felt' your post so strongly. Your words although not encouraging so much, were honest and truthful. Anyone who can give me the zen stick to the heart like you just did, has earned my full respect.

U2U me sometime and we will get better acquainted.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Why were these things stored up river? Seems to me, you would store in in a crater like spot, away from any watersource, in the middle of nowhere. Not up the river where everybody fishes. Poor spot. Should have been denied to license for that location.

I bet money talked.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Abstruse

These guys literally have evil minions at their disposal. Most attorneys know better than to fight the devil. There are dark forces at play here and they will stop nothing short of complete inhalation of the entire Galaxy and beyond.

One planet at a time, one species mutated and combined into the next incarnation of demon at a time.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join