It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most hazardous material on planet leaking at U.S. nuclear site, worker brought to tears over leaking

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
amazing hey.!!
This has the potential to do serious damage to the ecosystem and food support systems
and our useless president is more worried about his agenda to ban guns... hmmm

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

If I am not mistaken the Whitehouse is downwind of all the bad places

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

s
I guess that unless HIS daughters (If they really are his) get sick from this or himself,
he wont do a thing about it,. After all, look at fukushima,. nobody seems to care about
the global damage that is doing,.
just sickening..the elite do almost all the damage for money and no help to fix the issues

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
So how many other nuclear waste containment sites are build to a similar standard? This stuff does remain toxic for 10 000's to 100 000's of years, and after just 30 years significant leaks are already occurring. It is becoming quite clear that things are not going to end well.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yeah, this has been in the news here for several weeks now. It is not surprising to me. Its only a matter of time before things are bad enough that either there is some sort of disaster, or else we will slowly learn the consequences of slow exposure. Heck...we may never know.

I grew up in Yakima and it was always rumoured they had intentionally released stuff from Hanford to expose us downwind to test the reaction. I have never known if it was true or not.

I spent several days at the hanford site for a class a couple of years ago. Guess what it was for? You are going to love the irony of it: Hazmat response. Seriously. There is a big set-up there for training techs.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
You know, something hit me like a flying brick while reading this......

What happens to all these places if there is a long term loss of order and general society structure? Repairs and Maintenance definitely stop happening, I'm guessing. Hundreds of sites of both similar nature and very different but carrying equally dangerous threat. How long before what is contained (or barely so) under the system we DO have, would utterly fail and turn a real bad world into something from a Sci-Fi horror film?

Months? Years? Maybe a decade without the level of structure that exists now? Things to ponder and something beyond the normal SHTF thinking.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Sadly there are some mathematical realities that most would hope don't exist.
maybe god will fix these problems...
which makes it ok to ignore them and even worse, create them

well, never trust god to tie up your camel

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

You know, something hit me like a flying brick while reading this......

I was hit by that same brick, and have felt half unconscious ever since...

In the past, I've posted to Fukushima threads with the attitude that it's as safe here as anywhere else. I've known about sites like Hanford for a few years already. I think that every site which stores or handles these kinds of materials has already contaminated its surrounding region to some degree. That's why I can't stop laughing everytime I read " oh no, radiation from Japan is going to give the entire world cancer". I have no reason to believe that the Fukushima reactors were not already leaking before the tsunami washed away any illusion of safety. I don't know how many sites are leaking. Over the years, I've read about more than a few of them. The specific Hanford tank, which started this thread, has been leaking 150-300 gallons a year, since 1979.

www.forbes.com...

One of the underground tanks suspected of leaking at the Hanford Nuclear Waste Site has been known as an “assumed leaker” for so long—on and off since 1979

The level inside tank T-111 has been dropping by 150-300 gallons per year, DOE revealed last week.

I believe we are all mostly screwed a lot more than we will ever know. I think the government has known about it for a long time.
edit on 30-4-2013 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Such a huge story!

why aren't the major news network covering this threat?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
Can we just fling these things into the sun or something? How are we an "advanced" civilization? This is ridiculous. I don't know what to say anymore. I think I'm ready for that pole shift now. We are killing this planet, it's about time She cleanse herself of most of us so we can begin a new. Try again.

We absolutely can shoot this material to the sun to get rid of it. The problem is, what agency is willing to take this task, and how many countries are going to allow this material to fly off into space over their countries? Maybe if the space program in any country had 100% success rate. Can you imagine what would happen if a space shuttle carrying this poison exploded in the atmosphere only to rain down everywhere?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Jeese i was a kid when they built the first reactor and i was concerned about the wastes then.....sixty odd years later my suspicions are confirmed.....suprise siprise...dont tell me the engineers and the science idiots didnt know there was a problem back then.....this is a stupid stupid avenue of aproach to a power source.
How primitive...they get the radiation to boil water...now thats ground breaking...yep.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
People should gather all this information immediately; especially, if they take residence near this area. Start filing lawsuits. Here's your evidence to free money.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

We have an historic precedent when the USSR collapsed.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Sadly, those big companies with their big bank accounts don't care. They don't care for the people, the environment or the wildlife/animals. Everything that's going on with oil leaks and radiation, etc will just create a generation of very sick people

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad

We have an historic precedent when the USSR collapsed.

elaborate please?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Stupid humans! I don't care if waste is stored, but for crying out loud who was the "genious" designer of the tank? Double protection? What about 200 times protection?

Seriously...when will protective tanks be made NOT by the lowest bidder!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Can we just fling these things into the sun or something?.... We absolutely can shoot this material to the sun to get rid of it. The problem is, what agency is willing to take this task...

Maybe.....Sir Richard Branson?????

edit on 30-4-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Are you nuts? What do you think is happening right now at Fukushima? That is FAR more dangerous to our entire planet than Hanford! Hanford can be fixed... leaks can be contained as the material is liquid and semi-solid waste vs a melting core right next to the ocean in Japan, where more earthquakes are absolutely going to happen, and tsunamis may very well happen. I still can't believe there isn't a world wide effort to take care of this Japanese mess... it is being suppressed rather than front page news every day. Hanford, a 5 or 6. Fukushima an 9 or 10. NOT to downplay Hanford or your post, just to place more focus on Fukushima and the lies being told to "save face', that Japanese cultural way of life, that is endangering everyone, especially those of us down wind and down current. We can dig the leaking tanks at Hanford up with funding. Call your congress person... the one that is immune to the sequester, is still getting paid, still getting health care, still getting the promise of perpetual retirement funding after serving a mere 5 years, and still paying too much attention to party politics to do real work. Should money go to political pork projects or cleaning up our radioactive mess that endangers our planet, ocean, and very valuable river? You tell me.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

Should money go to political pork projects or cleaning up our radioactive mess that endangers our planet, ocean, and very valuable river? You tell me.

I think it's been too late for many years. I think it's far worse than what's seen at the surface. Fukushima is tiny, compared to total global contamination.

Even if it weren't too late, the money would still go to the construction of self contained structures to keep the valuable people safe from the outside world.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
And the so-called "safe" levels of radiation exposure will be raised significantly so people don't have so much to be worried about!
See, government really does care about your feelings.

"According to PEER (Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, the new standards would drastically raise the levels of radiation allowed in food, water, air, and the general environment. PEER, a national organization of local, state, and federal employees who had access to internal EPA emails, claims that the new standards will result in a “nearly 1000-fold increase for exposure to strontium-90, a 3000 to 100,000-fold hike for exposure to iodine-131; and an almost 25,000 rise for exposure to radioactive nickel-63? in drinking water. This information, as well as the emails themselves were published by Collapsenet on March 24..."

www.nuc.berkeley.edu...

Wiki page on Hanford.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-4-2013 by On the Edge because: wiki

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join