It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cigar Thread~

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Now this is not about how smoking is bad and causes cancer, so if your one of these types of individuals there's a red X at the top right hand corner of your screen.

I have not seen this thread anywhere and know we have to have some Cigar Smokers amongst this ATS group~

Now if your someone who's like me.... I enjoy a good Cigar~ I found myself on the Golf Coarse as the Best Man at my Best Friends wedding when all of a sudden as we walked into the half way concession stand, I saw some Cigars and had the bright Idea "Ding Ding" what says congratz better than puffin on a stogie~
Bazinga~

So there we were.... I was driving my best friends brother when.... All of a sudden... Cigar hanging out of my mouth.... Fresh air circulating.... I swear to god I heard the A-Team theme as we hop'd a small mogul hill and I was hooked ever since....

Since then, I am no Afficianado but I do know a good Cigar... Well for the one's I've tried at least....

So this is the thread and rules folks. What type? What Kind? Where'd you get your first Cigar? What would you recommend for ATSer's? Do you like relaxin with some whiskey or bourbon with your Cigar? Maybe browsing some threads while Cigar'n it up?

The point is to introduce those who enjoy Cigars to something new, Share a story, Have fun!

So with that.... My top 2 Cigars as of right now.... Drum Roll please~

By far hands down my favorite. The Macanudo Maduro Vintage 1997 ~
It's a Cigar that you don't want to put down and are kind of sad when you have to let it die out

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 (Tubo) Excellent~ The 92 Vintage comes in a Black Tubo and is on the same scale both are great cigars and would recommend both of these Cigars to any ATSer who love's the occasional Cigar!

Both Cigars were recommended by a friend of mine who actually taught me a lot regarding Cigars and he also gave me my first humidor~

If you like'm, love'm, try one of these and I gaurentee you will not be disapointed....

Ohhhhh~ Good cheap cigar look for the Playboy Cigar, very inexpensive but good none the less.... And you kinda feel like Hugh Smokin on one ROFL

Enjoy Everyone! And I hope I get some good suggestions as well!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well first you take a razor and you cut....errmmm oh you mean GOOD cigars! Gotcha!

I went to a cigar store run by the Cuban government in Cancun years ago. It was a creepy experience. I was led into a large glass walk-in humidor. They unlocked the door and I went inside. I remember them locking the door behind us

I think I ended up with two cigars that cost me about $10 each. One of them I know was a Romeo y Julietta. I dropped the other one in the hot tub later that evening.

And no, you cannot "dry out" a cigar after it's been soaked in chlorinated water and still enjoy smoking it.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I find it hillarious when I'm at the gas station and someone in front of me is buying ONE Swisher, a bag of chex mix, and a bottle of Big Red soda.

Yeah buddy, you're not fooling anyone. At least buy a whole pack to make it look like you are one of the rare few that actually enjoys smoking those god awful things!
edit on 29-4-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I about spit water on my keyboard... First you cut them......

I think I ended up with two cigars that cost me about $10 each. One of them I know was a Romeo y Julietta. I dropped the other one in the hot tub later that evening.

And no, you cannot "dry out" a cigar after it's been soaked in chlorinated water and still enjoy smoking it

Romeo y Juletta are very good Cigars, I know they just came out with a new one early 2013 it was a red and white tubo pretty big cigar too.... I smoked a Romeo y Julietta Reserve over the weekend walking with my fiance and Infat in the stroller (Sunshade up) and smoke lingering behind~ Very good cigars I enjoy them.

And no you can't "Dry out" a Water Soaked Chlorinated Cigar..... ROFL

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I recently got into the coffee infused cigars. Two brands stand out as the best in my opinion.
Tabak has several types and they are all good. A little sweet at the tip and a nice mocha/coffee flavor. (redeye)

The second, made by Rocky Patel, is Java. It's a block cigar, sweet tip as well, but very, very smooth. Goes very nicely with a glass of Knob Creek bourbon and a fantastic sunset. (good company required as well)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

In speaking to a friend who uses Swishers and White Owl's with a razor, I was told that a quality cigar is just wasted in that venue. It does my heart good to know that fine cigars will remain fine.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

The second, made by Rocky Patel, is Java. It's a block cigar, sweet tip as well, but very, very smooth. Goes very nicely with a glass of Knob Creek bourbon and a fantastic sunset. (good company required as well)

Man I love Rocky Patel Cigar's.... I have a shop nearby that just started carrying more RP's due to popular demand. I will have to check out if they have a Java RP, I'm always up for a new Cigar! Thank you for the recommendation!

Knob Creek! Good Company! Fantastic Sunset! If you were close by I'd say let's do this!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Cancun was RIFE with fake Cohibas, they seem to be the most popular brand to knock off.

I don't really get the whole buzz surrounding Cuban cigars.
Some of the same varieties of tobacco are grown in the Dominican, even under the same name brands! Perhaps it's wanting something we can't have...

I had a guy that lived with me for several months that was really, really into cigars. He had two huge humidors (the kind with the hygrometer on the front and a lock/key set). He even would trade cigars through the mail with complete strangers. To this day I still get his cigar catalogs and magazines

He left a bunch of stuff at my house, and I *think* he left a little travel humidor with some cigars in it. They don't have any bands on them so I wouldn't have a clue what I'd be smoking.

The first cigar in your picture looks like one of the ones he had. I'm not sure if those metal rings are on multiple brands or not though.

I'm more a fan of pipe tobacco. After ditching my corn cob pipe because it made me look like a redneck, I bought myself a decent Italian made one. I'm partial to this brand of pipe tobacco:

I don't bust it out very often, but I do really enjoy the flavor and smell. Sometimes when I'm feeling dapper I'll bring my pipe along instead of my cigarettes.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I don't really get the whole buzz surrounding Cuban cigars. Some of the same varieties of tobacco are grown in the Dominican, even under the same name brands! Perhaps it's wanting something we can't have..

I hear that finding a "Authentic Cuban" Is like Finding a "Authentic Blonde Asian" or so they say.
It's something behind the Nostalgia of Smoking a Cuban as well.... Then you have the Afficianado's that claim they have the "Real McCoy's" but don't disclose how the got them..... I think most take a flight and just rip the marking rings off so they don't get blasted by customs on what they are really bringing back.... I wish I could actually get my hands on one.... I hear they are Primo Bueno Awesome~

I'm more a fan of pipe tobacco. After ditching my corn cob pipe because it made me look like a redneck, I bought myself a decent Italian made one. I'm partial to this brand of pipe tobacco:

Totally awesome~ I used to roll my own cigarettes, Bally Shag was my fav, I know it's not pipe tobacco but I can see where the love of the Pipe Smoking comes in. Very clean unlike the Analog Cigarettes with all the crap they put into them.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

To be honest.... I think we could have some good conversations netword dude over a Cigar just on the thread you made about Magic~

Cheers~

I know it's not a boubon, I'm just a lil lazy to upload a pic at the moment

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

I've heard similar things about removing the rings off cigars. You can buy Cubans all over South America and in places like Trinidad. If they can't identify what kind of cigar it is, would they honestly waste time with them?

The thing is though, you could never prove to your friends that they were as you said, "The Real McCoy".

I remember flying to Frankfurt, Germany from the states one time...I went to the Duty Free store in the airport and was greeted with an awesome deal: cartons of Lucky Strike smokes WITH filters for less than $30! Even better, it was "buy 2, get one free!" WOW!

So having already checked my luggage and not having much room in my backpack, I stuck one carton inside and two others in the water bottle holders on the sides.

Upon landing in Germany and going through customs, the officer notices my two cartons of cigarettes on the outside of my backpack. He asks me if I have any more. Of course I don't want to ruin my vacation right off the bat, so I reluctantly tell him I have one more and open my bag and show him.

He proceeds to inform me that only two cartons are allowed into Germany tax free, and because I had 3, I would have to pay a tax.

He was really, REALLY nice about it though. He kept apologizing and asking me where and what we wanted to see/do in Germany. He even offered up some suggestions on places to eat and whatnot. In the end my 3 "cheap" cartons of cigarettes ended up costing me around $150 with the taxes.

The lesson here is, unless you know the import rules of the country you are traveling to -- think long and hard about those awesome deals at the duty free shops.

Oh, and you can't just walk in there and buy stuff without an international boarding pass. I've tried that before.

edit on 29-4-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
YES A STOOGIE THREAD!!!!!!

My FAVORITE is the Dominican Legend, found it about 2 years ago when I went to my brother's funeral in NY. Unfortunately coming back to NC, I couldnt find a SINGLE tobacco or cigar store that sold them

www.stogiereview.com...

Curently, I smoke this brand called Trader Jack's, real smooth almost sweet flavor

Trader Jack's

I also enjoy the Backwoods rough cigars
Backwoods

The Empressarios from Thompson Cigar Company are pretty good as well, I kep my desktop humidor well stocked

Empressario

edit on 4/29/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Now we're talking, nothing like a fine cigar and relaxing with a tall mug of ice tea. My favorites are Romeo y Julietta #3, Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Sun grown and Punch Rothschild Maduro/Hoyo De Monterrey Rothschild Maduro. Dominican cigars are by far finer than Cuban. The quality of construction in the Cuban has greatly diminished over the years while the Dominican cigars have continually improved. The Dominican's are Cuban seed so your getting the same tobacco just slightly different area.

I have had Cohiba, Romeo y Julietta and Punch in both Cuban and Dominican and the taste is almost identical but once again the Dominican had superior construction.

Macanudo are fine mild to medium bodied cigars on the same line as Don Diego. Ashton is the another line by Arturo Fuente and General cigar and are quite excellent with the VSG line having some very tasty full bodied cigars.

A very creamy medium bodied cigar of distinction is the Davidoff line though a little pricey.

My everyday cigar is the Punch Rothschild Maduro/Hoyo De Monterrey Rothschild Maduro followed by a weekly Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Sun grown and treat of a Romeo y Julietta. Nothing tastes like a Romeo y Julietta.

In regards to pipe tobacco I prefer Peterson's or buying in bulk and blending my own.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Let me know if you ever find yourself in Eastern NC, or Heaven as I like to call it.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

$150 in taxes for 3 cartons of cigs..... Yeooowch~ Good thing you told him the truth, that could have turned ugly fast... Great deal on the cigs though LOL~

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

^_^ Dominican Legend huh~ I'ma write these down for the next time I go stoogie shoping~ On the Southside of Chicago, I know of 2 large walk-in humidor's that besides the phenominal smell, the owners will pick up cigars for the buyers that come in a lot so there is a big variety.

For some reason I want to smoke anything that has "Legend" in the title.....
I look forward to the hunt and I will update if I find them~

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Sun grown

This is my future father in-laws favorite cigar~ Excellent choice and I enjoy this one very much so as well~

Dominican cigars are by far finer than Cuban. The quality of construction in the Cuban has greatly diminished over the years while the Dominican cigars have continually improved. The Dominican's are Cuban seed so your getting the same tobacco just slightly different area.

I have heard this a lot as well. Sad that the Cuban became so popular that the quality diminished.... I will likely never experiance a real Cuban, just some cheap/er knock off's. The Dominican Cigars, I totally agree with and boy have I really enjoyed them~!

My everyday cigar is the Punch Rothschild Maduro/Hoyo De Monterrey Rothschild Maduro followed by a weekly Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Sun grown and treat of a Romeo y Julietta. Nothing tastes like a Romeo y Julietta.

I can honestly say that I have never been too keen on Romeo y Julietta Cigars, though I have not tried the one you stated so looks like I have another cigar to hunt down and don a go!~

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This thread is doing better than I anticipated! Thank you everyone so far on the great suggestions! I look forward to hunting these Cigars down and updating with reviews of cigars that were suggested!

Keep'm coming ATSer's ~ I think I may have found a new favorite pass time discusion board for cigar afficianados!

Cheers~

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

I get a catalog for Cigars international. (actually I get about 5 different catalogs but that one has the deals)
I usually look for bundles of the kind I like. You can get 8 to 10 Tabak cigars in a sampler pack for $20 to $26 if they have a sale. ( they are usually $5 each) I enjoy ordering from the catalog or online since I like getting packages. (it feels like Christmas!)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I had a so called cuban on a cruise once, tasted stale and like crap, i think my cigarettes actually tasted better! lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join