It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highest Yields?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What fruit/veggie plants have the highest yields? (Not including apple trees, etc. which take many years to mature and provide a large yield)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Potatoes are a good staple and easy to hide in the lands cape.....Most people never saw a potato plant

Onions are good to plant and hide in the landscape also.
edit on 29-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
A lot depends on location as soil type,temperature, water availability, the amount of effort being put in to deter predators, drainage etc can all affect plant growth

Anything that grows underground will be harder to find and dig up than a load of stuff such as cabbages sitting on top of the ground which can be easily spotted not just by humans but also pesky bugs looking for lunch

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by therealdemoboy
What fruit/veggie plants have the highest yields? (Not including apple trees, etc. which take many years to mature and provide a large yield)

If you want fruit trees (which you will need for sugar intake and vitamins that are essential) don't discount "dwarf" varieties - many can produce a usable harvest in as little as a two years after planting. They produce less fruit than full size trees of course and don’t live as long but the fruit is easier (no ladders or step ladders only) and therefore safer in a situation where a fall could be life threatening without a medical infrastructure.

www.growingraw.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by therealdemoboy

the questionS you should be asking is :

what crops can i plant in an area with :

type ............................... soil
soil PH of ................................
latitude ...........................
typical rainfall chart .......................
typical ` days of sunshine ` chart ...............................
avaliability of water for irrigation = .......................................

on ................ acres to give a viable crop to support ..................... people

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

not sure what you mean by highest yield,you mean by pounds,or nutrition?If you want more pounds,potatoes are by far best,but more effort to recover.If you can't have,or hide fruit tree's,go with bell peppers.They're green,easy to blend in,and have more vitamin c than an orange.Pea's,beans,carrots are all easy to hide,and nobody other than a gardener will recognize them.Maybe try tomatillo's,think I spelled it right,like a green tomato.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

What is the weather like where you live. Different crops have specific growing requirements. What grows well here does not grow so well somewhere else..

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It's kind of unintentional, but the place I chose to put my garden is completely hidden by the garage. From the street, and even if you were on property...unless you went over that way, you'd miss it.

Back to the topic though, it will really depend on WHERE you are, as far as yield goes...and which crops.

There is likely an agricultural college somewhere in your zone. Find it, and the website, and they'll likely have free download publications with more info than you'd ever need, for the kinds of plants for your area. LOCATION is the most important factor in what you can grow.
edit on 29-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Sweet Corn
Potatoes,
Greens beans,peas.

Yeild is mostly determined via soil type,watering rates, and fertlizer rates.also how well the soil is weeded, and tilled.

When a plant can focus all on production instead of fighting off pests that is where you will get your highest yeild production.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Squash are really hard to mess up - they are a plant and forget type thing. MY wife will put if a few plants and we end up eating a crap ton of zucchini, so much that I bed people to take some when they visit or stop by. I like it but one can only eat it for like every meal for 3 weeks before it gets old. It will not keep though like some hard skinned squashes and if you want to keep some back you have to can it.

Butternut squash is perhaps as prolific and will store all winter long without refrigeration in a cold cellar. It is excellent as a soup or side dish. Butternut squash at the store is quite expensive IMO at well over a dollar a pound even when in season.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I planted Purple Top Turnips and got a lot of them. Last year I grew Delicia squash and got a lot from a couple of plants.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Squash and beans. The ancients gave us this valuable knowledge, and, as another poster said, they're hard to mess up.

top topics

join