It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death is an Illusion

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I see your point, and of course you are right to some extent, but the time it takes you to say "NOW" involves both the past and the future, and the time it would take for me to understand the word and apply it to your concept, your one cyllable imperative would already belong in the past. See my point?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Utnapisjtim
As for escaping presence, the dead have escaped the presence in a sense. Perhaps this can explain ghosts, how some dead people (often not aware they are dead themselves) resonate in the "common present", while their presence is slightly off (time-wise), as if they live in another dimentional complex, rendering them invisible for most living people.

You are the present and things (including ghosts) appear to you.
What you really are, on the other hand, never makes an appearance - you are the unseen presence.

There is only ever presence - but there are two aspects, one is the unseen presence and the other is seen presence - it is a little bit like the dreamer and the dream - the dream cannot appear without the dreamer.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Utnapisjtim
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I see your point, and of course you are right to some extent, but the time it takes you to say "NOW" involves both the past and the future, and the time it would take for me to understand the word and apply it to your concept, your one cyllable imperative would already belong in the past. See my point?

The present is changing and moving (this is what makes us think of time) but there is also a stable unmoving presence.

There is only the present timelessly being all there is.
edit on 5-12-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

You are the present and things (including ghosts) appear to you.
What you really are, on the other hand, never makes an appearance - you are the unseen presence.

If that's how you see me....

There is only ever presence - but there are two aspects, one is the unseen presence and the other is seen presence - it is a little bit like the dreamer and the dream - the dream cannot appear without the dreamer.

As for using dreaming as an example, REM sleep (when we dream) lasts mere minutes, but we experience the dream lasting hours, and we even experience waking in the middle of dreaming while the brain stopped dreaming hours ago. People have ended up in a coma and when they woke up they believe it is the same day and may have no recollection of time passing at all.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Utnapisjtim

If you are interested in contemplating what time is, by going deep into it then I can recommend this video - it explores the concepts of both 'time and death'.
It talks about what you have just posted - it pretty mind blowing stuff.

The deep discussion in the video may explain what Einstein meant when he said this:

After the death of his old friend, Albert Einstein said “Now Besso has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us … know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.”

edit on 5-12-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join