It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missiles fired at Russian plane with 159 passengers onboard flying over Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Missiles fired at Russian plane with 159 passengers onboard flying over Syria

rt.com

Two missiles were fired at a Russian passenger plane flying over Syrian territory with 200 people onboard, an informed source in Moscow told Interfax news agency. The source of the attack remains unknown

The targeted plane belongs to Nordwind Airlines – a Russian charter air carrier, says Russian federal Agency for Tourism, citing the Ministry of Transpo.

Russia's embassy in Damascus is looking into the report of the attack on the Russian passenger plane, RT has been told.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related Post:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29-4-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2013 by majesticgent because: Title of the article changed on RT

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This is the only outlet I could find covering this story. No one has verified it yet so it could be a false report.

At first I thought OK yeah right a passneger plane that large evading missiles, but then I remembered that some passenger planes in Israel are equipped with radar, and flares to avoid attacks as these, and their pilots trained.

Some El Al planes have already been equipped with the protective system six years ago. Transportation Ministry spokesman Avner Ovadia said at the time that the system is similar to the one used in fighter planes, but has been adapted to be used in passenger planes.

"When missiles are fired at a plane, the system discharges flares that diver the missiles mid-flight," he said.

Source: www.ynetnews.com...

Being that this plane was flying over Syria it's not out of the realm of possibility that it was equipped with a system like this.

If this is true and verified how do you think Russia responds?

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-4-2013 by majesticgent because: adding source

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Not a MANPAD as airliners fly from 30000-40000 feet

If it was a SA-6 or SA-10 type SAM how did the airliner survive

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I would say if true Russia will respond with a large attack of their own. You don't shoot civilian planes down. Of course this is based on it actually being a civilian plane from the report. I can't see Russia letting this slide.....could be the start of a full scale attack to put Syria in its place.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hmmmm... Something doesn't smell right here... Russian airline dodges not 1 but 2 missiles?? Fighter jets have a tough time evading missiles, but a large passenger Jet??? A false flag so Russia can get involved with the Syria situation??? Maybe....

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by springtime
Not a MANPAD as airliners fly from 30000-40000 feet

If it was a SA-6 or SA-10 type SAM how did the airliner survive

Are you sure? I could see someone with a shoulder launched taking a potshot at an airliner trying to land or upon takeoff when they are most vulnerable.

If it was one of the prior systems you named, that would mean Syria accidentally shot at it, and maybe turned off the radar as to lose the lock?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Didn't Syria have a no fly zone? Also seems a very suspicious story. Almost as if someones poking a big sleepy bear.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Don't see how a passenger airliner carrying 200 people could evade missiles shot at it.....unless it dropped some flares

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
They did say:

“Syrian [officials] informed us that on Monday morning, unidentified forces launched two ground-to-air missiles which exploded in the air very close to a civilian aircraft belonging to a Russian airline,” the source told the Russian agency.

Which would suggest either a counter measure was used or these missiles had a detonation below the altitude of the plane....I can't imagine a jetliner out maneuvering a missile.
edit on 4/29/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Don't see how a passenger airliner carrying 200 people could evade missiles shot at it.....unless it dropped some flares

Apparently some Israeli passenger liners are equipped with a system that launches flares if it detects a SAM coming at the airliner, but the thing is that would only work for heat seeking SAMs. Not a radar guided SAM. We need more information. How high was the airplane flying?

It could be a mistake by Syrian forces launching at what they thought was a bomber encroaching their airspace. Maybe the airliner went somewhere it shouldn't?

The RT story is getting updated as they get more information. If it's verified, I'm sure it'll be on the MSM outlets post haste.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
I would say if true Russia will respond with a large attack of their own. You don't shoot civilian planes down. Of course this is based on it actually being a civilian plane from the report. I can't see Russia letting this slide.....could be the start of a full scale attack to put Syria in its place.

Civilian airliners have been shot down. Here is the most famous incident (Shot down by The Russians)

en.wikipedia.org...

Here are a list of other incidents:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
No doubt it was FSA.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
Hmmmm... Something doesn't smell right here... Russian airline dodges not 1 but 2 missiles?? Fighter jets have a tough time evading missiles, but a large passenger Jet??? A false flag so Russia can get involved with the Syria situation??? Maybe....

Could be but I hope not.

I know El Al the Israeli airline carry as standard anti missile devices

El Al is now installing an anti-missile system onto one of its Boeing jets. If it works, the system will be rolled out to six other aircraft, and eventually the entire fleet.

Source

That was from 2004

I doubt somewhat that the Russian planes have the same systems in place.

But you never know

Cody

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm thinking those must have been some battle tested pilots, maybe former military, that noticed the flashes and smoke trails and knew to punch the throttle and climb out of the max ceiling range of those missiles.

Other then that, or a flare system I don't see how it is possible???

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It was probably US provided String-Rays or something, being shot by a "rebel".

If this was Syrian A.A missiles, you bet they would have made contact.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
even againsta a defenceless plane , an attack with SAMs is not " simply " a case of - hit " launch button " > plane destroyed

the condition , sutibility , crew training [ if any - if rebel forces ] all play a big factor

stolen / black market missiles might fail because they were mistreated - incorrectly preped or damaged

one previous response said " if couldnt be a MANPADS - as they cannot attain the altitude " - if the operator didnt know - they might attempt to fire one - and be surprised that it didnt attain altitude

another training related mistake possible - is firing at a aircraft thats only a few degrees away from the sun - missile attains lock on the sun - and homes in till its motors die

lastly - for conspiracy malarky - a come radar guided missiles need constant instruction from a groundstation - a crew attempting to create an incident - could fire off a salvo - then cut the guidance instructions

to actually form useful opinions on this we need far more info :

what type of missile
its condition and orign
crew training
etc etc etc

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
Didn't Syria have a no fly zone? Also seems a very suspicious story. Almost as if someones poking a big sleepy bear.

Nope. Although some are pushing for it, the un seems to refuse. Thats whats the fuss around the chem weapons are about - to impose a no fly zone.

US as always says "we dont need no stinkin un or proof of use of chem weapons to impose a no fly zone over whoever we want" - by john mccain and obama admnistration.

So... no there isnt a no fly zone.

As for Russia... you are aware that if Russia gets into that mess it will support Assad right?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Very informative
Thanks

Cody

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thank god the guy who fired the missiles didn't read the instructions manual first

If that hits the airliner, we (the world) has a sh*t storm on our hands to deal with, with LOADS of finger pointing and denial....

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Shooting at an Airplane with that many people on board is an Act of War.

Could you imagine if USA and Russia teamed together to fight Syria?

It would be over in 2 weeks. Tops.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join