It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

300 People live: Do you care?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
In response to "300 People Die: Do you care?" I beg to ask, if 300 live, do we notice or rejoice? Why do thoughts of people dying bring sorrow, but nobody rejoices when people live? What say you?!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This is a good point.

I remember when I was a kid my grandmother used to hate the news. She would always say "Most of the news you see on television is bad news. Who wants to watch that?"

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelsoftheapocalypse
In response to "300 People Die: Do you care?" I beg to ask, if 300 live, do we notice or rejoice? Why do thoughts of people dying bring sorrow, but nobody rejoices when people live? What say you?!

In other news, nothing happened and no one noticed. Nothing was said about it, and not one bothered to mention it. It was otherwise a forgettable day and one of a long string of forgettable days that no body declared something.

-- this is not to be confused with the more interesting news, where something did happen.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
We only apperciate people at a funeral, it's sad.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Bad news, sells. Good news not so much.

Usually when people are trying to present "X people died today," it's usually in contrast to another horrific event. Usually with the intent to create guilt or outrage.

Like, "How dare you not feel this way about these dead people too?!?"
Or, "The media won't tell you about the people who died here!"

I'd be nice if the news were able to focus on the survivors, but then most of the survivors don't have a tragedy to sell or an agenda.

As for caring if people lived, that's a harder story to sell, unless its by some sort of seat of the pants nearly miraculous event. Like the pilot landing a crashing plane in the river and saving everyone's lives, or the child stuck in the well. Truthfully, there isn't as big as an emotional hook in pointing at 'Joe Nobody' in Walmart who is still alive, after nothing happened to him there.

Should we as people care if people live, certainly. Can we get worked up overly much about it if there no crisis involved, no drama or special circumstances? Unlikely. After all, people live, every day.

The national news might seem odd if they announced.

"There were over 625,087 survivors of the Boston Marathon in the two explosions, less than two hundred wounded and just three dead."

(625,087 being the census data of Boston, MA. via Wiki.)

Or if the news announced.

"There were over 93,000 successful commercial airplane flights today with thousands of survivors, and one that that was unsuccessful."

"There are many nations that are not at war today, with no casualties from war expected."

And the like.

So it's a matter of perception in all things, how do the 300 deaths effect you?
Are you even aware that many more than that die every day?
Do you know any of those people?

Is it callous or selfish to not get bent out of shape when events happen on the other side of the planet, and that have no effect on your daily lives? I think not, there is a limit to what we can affect or to let ourselves to be effected by, or we'd go insane. It's one thing to know such tragedies occur, it is another to force yourself into massive depression or insanity over them. Or to sell yourself into poverty over every single emotional charitable plea for your money.

How much of yourself can you afford to invest emotionally, in people whose lives will not effect yours?
That's the question.

M.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
What I have realized in my short life so far, is that perspective is reality, and reality is relative. When one group mourns tragic deaths, another celebrates miraculous lives. I just saw that post, and just had to ask for people to look in a different perspective. Be positive, and positive things will come to you.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelsoftheapocalypse

Close. Perspective is not reality. Perception is. "Perception is reality" is a business mantra (among other areas espousing that principle). Thus, whether you are or are not what is perceived of you, the net effect is that it doesn't matter. What is percieved of you is what the common reality is. And that is what counts.

Perspective helps achieve perception. It is a component of what you perceive.

All that aside.....the mendacity of the other thread stood on its own merit. There was no need for this thread, or any other one that makes a mockery of the title of another stupid thread. It is just pushing the idiocy forward.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join