It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Student shot self in class at La Salle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Police: Student shot self in class at La Salle

news.cincinnati.com

Hamilton County police have verified that a student shot himself in a classroom inside La Salle High School this morning.
The student has been taken to University Hospital; his identity and condition are unknown at this time.
The school had been on lockdown, but that order is now lifted, and all of the students were taken to the gym.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newsnet5.com
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.nydailynews.com

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I just received a text from my brother who heard about this while at school. according to him it was someone who he went to grade school with.
This is just sad and more than likely bullying related.
Hopefully this student has a chance of living, but they haven't released his condition yet.

also I'm hoping that this will open more eyes to the problems of bullying and ways to deter it from happening.
It is high school, people get bullied, but when an individual decides his only way out is to take his life, its gone way too far.

news.cincinnati.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Banquo

Breaks my heart to hear this news. May everyone find peace after something like this happens.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Banquo

I do not think that there is a single person in public school who has not felt ostracized or bullied by students, cafeteria or staff at one time or another.

Learning to deal with the changing world where everyone is just trying to fit in, is not easy. Teachers, staff, parents, children, there are no exceptions to the chaos of change.

This is tragic for everyone and sometimes people find it easier to have a reason for things such as bullying, but this kind of thing can have layers so deep it will always be a mystery even to the one who took their life.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
That is really sad
RIP student

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Banquo

I read a thread and the replies shocked me they said that if their kid was being bullied they would tell the kid to deal with it and its just a part of life.

that's just wrong

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
(EDIT: Post copied and saved for another time.)
edit on 29-4-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Relevant video.

en.wikipedia.org...(song)

The video/song is about a student who could not handle the world he lived in. For what ever reasons he was not able to cope with the world as many have. I say many because there is a majority of the population that has been the outcast and bullied at some point. Others turned around and bullied someone else or found another way to release the anger, fear and torment they had within.

The world is a hard place, and nothing will make it any softer. While I agree that bullying has always been it has changed a bit since I was once a victim. Now they have the internet to bully people with as well, add to that what some of us have faced with bullying at school and abuse at home and things can be pretty tough.

In many cases though we just see parent who are just like those in the video that are out of touch with their child and said child's life. The child feels unloved, more so maybe than if the parent was abusive. At least in the case of abuse they are getting attention of some sort, albeit bad attention. In the case of the video the child felt he had no one to turn to, unloved, and bullied. What a cold world we live in.

The best we can do is be there for our children and listen to them, talk to them, be a part of their life. Bullying will always be there, family can be crap and even friendship s rare. In many cases the child does need thicker skin and understand it will not be like that their entire life. One day the kid will wake up and fight back (hopefully in a nonfatal way). In other cases though the child just needs someone to hear their voice, someone to see that they are there. Sometimes children feel as if they are an unseen ghost.

Raist
edit on 4/29/13 by Raist because: Adding link about song.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
From the article.

Nearly 20,000 of the 30,000 deaths from guns in the United States in 2010 were suicides, according to the most recent figures from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The national suicide rate has climbed by 12 percent since 2003, and suicide is the third-leading cause of death for teenagers.

Despite the fact that they keep drugging the kids the number of them ending their own lives continues to rise. It seems pretty clear cut the drugs are not helping things. It is even more clear that there is something wrong today with society as a whole. Something is causing more people to feel overwhelmed, causing them to feel as though they cannot escape or fight back. Many seem to be on edge and walking a fine line.

If nothing else this case should get us talking even more about mental health. This has nothing to do with gun control as this kid was not old enough to buy the firearm, this is all about mental health (just like all the other cases really). We have to start working on fixing the mental health of our society. Something has changed, people are distant, cold, and uncaring toward one another. Pills are not the answer, the answer is people fixing people.

We need to push for better mental health in this country.

Raist

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
reply to post by Banquo

I read a thread and the replies shocked me they said that if their kid was being bullied they would tell the kid to deal with it and its just a part of life.

that's just wrong

Depends on the bullying that is occurring, if we are to assume that this incident is such. Learning to deal with the harsh reality of life, meaning outside your family unit, is that not everyone is nice, or the same, or [insert anything here]. Parents do the best to impart their children with their wisdom and knowledge. Sometimes, that knowledge is "outdated", but it doesn't mean it is wrong.

I have at times given such advice but it isn't the sole advice. I explain to my children that life is not fair. There are bad people out there who will want to do you harm for no reason what-so-ever. Either let it get to you or move on and realize that. There are other times I tell them that they need to stand up for themselves. I also teach them there is a time to stand-down and move on. It is discretion; sadly a trait that many American children do not have.

top topics

join