It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America should be divided into two nations.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I know many have called for unity and the acceptance that Bush won. I am unable to accept it. As much as the thought of a united America is appealing, I don't believe it is likely. I was watching the Daily Show last night and they, as always, hit the nail on the head. The deciding factors this year were terrorism and, suprisingly, gay marriage. The disturbing thing here is, as Stephen Colbiert said, the people who are ACTUALLY affected by terrorism, and the populations with the largest number of gays, voted for Kerry (i.e. New York), while the populations that have no viable terrorist targets or large gay populations in middle America are deciding how us big city "liberals" will live our lives? Anybody else find this unacceptable? I know I do. I think, since America is evenly divided, we should split into two nations. I realize this would be a difficult process that would likely never happen, but I have no desire at all to live under this neo-christian Taliban agenda. They can live happily under their strict religious rules, and we can enjoy equal rights for all in our "liberal" land. Of course we can still be united economically and militarily (but BOTH sides must agree before any "pre-emptive" strikes). Just a nice thought, I know I can use as many as I can get these days.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I think this is what has myself, and every NYer I have encountered in the past 2 days so unnerved. We are scared sh**less! After 4 years of waiting for a compitant president who would not alienate the rest of the world and make a complete and utter mess of EVERYTHING, Bush's win has many of us mad, depressed, frightened and feeling hopeless.
Unifying is great, but seems those of us located in terror targets would rather have a leader we feel can effectively keep us safe (ie-a war on terror not "give me a link between 911 and saddam" war on terror). This has been hard to accept and may prove impossible to LIVE with.
Honestly, conversations with friends and family have turned from nervous excitement and our shred of hope for getting a better president (prior to election) to moving to a new country where we aren't walking bullseyes. And more importantly, we are ashamed to be affiliated with this America that is oblivious to the rest of the world and has done nothing but remove rights and freedoms from its citizens. So after being one of those "if you want to complain about America, move to another country" people, I am doing my best to take my own advice. We're in too deep here.

It really does seem as though the closest most Bush voters have gotten to a big gay community and living through 911, was filtered through their tv screen. And those of us effected by their safe distance are terrified of the damage 4 more Bush years will do.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Won't happen. And this is just the beginning. America will be divided for decades to come, I forsee. Not divided like we have seen in the past, but increasingly divided on a level of hate previously unseen, in the last century anyway. I wouldn't go as far as to say on a level of civil violence (others will disagree), but ya never know. Scary times, glad I'm not there.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The haves and the have nots. The funny thing is 90% of the republican party thinks they are part of the haves.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
exactly! This is why some of us have been so darn sad.... we know its either be a part of this or relocate. It is the saddest thing I have had to consider in a long time. Safety aside, this is not the America I want to be a part of, and its strange to now have to either change my mind on that or get out. Its hard to do.....

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Okay, I tell you what...all us "rednecked" bread-basket people will leave you blue folks to yourself....

suggestion: learn how to cook a sidewalk.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
We tried that circa 1860 and things got really nasty.

www.orgsites.com...

Victories of the Heart
- by "A Confederate Soldier's Wife"

There's not a stately hall,
There's not a cottage fair,
That proudly stands on Southern soil,
Or softly nestles there,
But in its peaceful walls
With wealth or comfort blessed,
A stormy battle fierce hath raged
In gentle woman's breast.

There Love, the true, the brave,
The beautiful, the strong,
Wrestles with Duty, gaunt and stern,
Wrestles and struggles long.
He falls, no more again
His giant foe to meet;
Bleeding at every opening vein,
Love falls at Duty's feet.

O Daughter of the South!
No victor's crown be thine,
Not thine upon the tented field
In martial pomp to shine;
But with unfaltering trust
In Him who rules on high,
To deck thy loved ones for the fray,
And send them forth to die.

She, the tried, the true,
The loving wife of years,
Chokes down the rising agony,
Drives back the starting tears;
"I yield thee up," she cries,
"In the country's cause to fight;
Strike for our own, our children's home
And God defend the right."

O Daughter of the South!
When our fair land is free,
When peace her lovely mantle throws
Softly o'er land and sea,
History shall tell how thou
Hast nobly borne thy part,
And won the proudest triumph yet
The victory of the heart.

[edit on 04/11/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So just how do you suppose to divide the nation.

Will you just leave your home and move somewhere else, or will you force someone out of there home.

Will your new nation be free.

Will it be only for Democrats.

How will you work, what if your job is in the country of Republican, and you live in Democrat.

Will you split the country North / South, or is the new country going to be on the coast only.

In your new country, will former Americans be allowed to travel freely, or will you not allow Republicans in to your new country.

Who gets to keep the military.

Who gets to keep the treasury.

Who will defend the nation once we are split.

Everyone is talking split the country, like it would be cutting a pie for thanksgiving dinner.

You dont have a clue of the impications that would arise from this notion.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
SIRR!: great points. I only want to know how is it possible that the Democrats want a one party state? Isn't that the direct opposite of a democracy?

duh_squared: I guess you aren't speaking for ythe 40% of all New yorkers that voted for Bush? It's strange that people think because they won a state that there was no dissent with their opinion. Four out of ten New Yorkers disagreed with the Democrats.

[edit on 4-11-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
those of you born to the US have known since grade school, you can always leave. those of you that came here later, you have known you can always go. those of you who do not live here, hey, you don't ever have to visit.

those of you advocating a split of the union have no idea what you are saying. remember the last time that happened? no, of course not, but i'm sure you've read about it in history books.

look, there is no good reason to split a nation, ever, except to defeat it as a whole. you separate one side from the other, the whole will die. now that we have finished the election crap, let's get back to business: change what you can about the world and either live with the rest or move.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
So just how do you suppose to divide the nation.

That I cannot answer alone, I'm sure I would not be the one making that decision.

Will you just leave your home and move somewhere else, or will you force someone out of there home.

No0body will be forced to go anywhere, it's all choice, religious fanatics are free to live in our country, they just cannot dictate what everybody else does, they would have to move to conservative country if that's what they want.

Will your new nation be free.

Of course.

Will it be only for Democrats.

Nope. Everybody, that's the point.

How will you work, what if your job is in the country of Republican, and you live in Democrat.

Like I said, we would still be united economically, just not as far as civil rights (or lack of) are concerned. Although it would be likely your side would be the ones who would not allow those who are different to work there, which would be unfortunate.

Will you split the country North / South, or is the new country going to be on the coast only.

Again, not for me to decide.

In your new country, will former Americans be allowed to travel freely, or will you not allow Republicans in to your new country.

We will all still be Americans.

Who gets to keep the military.

Again, still united, just a few more checks and balances when it comes to pre-emption.

Who gets to keep the treasury.

United.

Who will defend the nation once we are split.

Answered above, if we were truly threatened, we all defend both nations.

You dont have a clue of the impications that would arise from this notion.

It would be difficult, but we do NOT want to live under YOUR rules and values, we would like to choose our own.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
*yawn* wow what a bunch of spoil sports eh? Sorry your guy lost. I lived through 8 years of Clinton, did I try to go running off to Canada? Did I want to split up the US? No and NO.

Get over it. Its done. What if the vote had been revered? With Kerry winning by the same margins as Bush? Would you still be making your call? No is the likely answer.....

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Get over it. Its done. What if the vote had been revered? With Kerry winning by the same margins as Bush? Would you still be making your call? No is the likely answer.....

No, but you would be. Would the evangelical population EVER recognize gay marriage? No. Would they EVER accept those who do not agree with their values? Not the ones I know. It's easy for you to say get over it, your oppresive religious nazi regime won. I wish Kerry did win, I KNOW you guys would not just bow down and accept it, although, since your side won, you will of course say you would.

[edit on 4-11-2004 by 27jd]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well all I know is that when # hits the fan and civil war breaks out (not likely to happen but if it happened one....it could happen again) I'll be sitting on the beach here in Puerto Rico sipping a Pina Colada while you blow each other up. Ahh the next couple of years should be fun.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I�m sure we could agree on a set of new boundaries to divide our country in two. I for one think it�s a great idea! The Reformed United States of America! Your idea of sharing military and other government assets is not a good one. We need to make the split clean and without ties of any kind. Those of us in The Reformed United States of America can rebuild our God inspired Constitution and live as, �One Nation Under God�, again.

Of course, you know what will happen? In no time at all we will go to war with one another, winner takes all!

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Seperate unions in America would be impossible. Although I think it would actually make most people much happier. It's really not a bad idea though and actually makes more sense if you want to appease more people.

America A:
-Tougher laws relating to environmental protection
-Rehabilitation over punishment for drug users
-More progressive and active medical and scientific communities
-Higher minimum wages
-Will actually uphold the constitution
-Truly free speech and freedom to assemble
-Fair and equal access to inexpensive and reliable healthcare and health insurance
-No lobbying or corporate ties to the government
-It's own military, funded by it's own people
-Anyone can marry anyone they want to, because it doesn't hurt anyone else
-Sale of marijuana is regulated and taxed
-Will mandate and fund clean energy sources
-Elections of the president every two years under a no party system
-A defensive military with a fair pay and the promise of not risking their lives unnecessarily

America B:
-The opposite

Will never happen, but I think "red" and "blue" states would love to see it happen.

By the way, all of you saying that if you don't like the way things are. leave, then leave, that is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard. Just because things are the way they are doesn't mean that everyone is happy and rightfully so. Bush is a justly hated man, people don't dislike him just because he's a republican.

WAKE UP! He's hated for many, many , many reasons. People aren't complaining just because he won, look ate every other republican president, has the country been this divided over their victories? No, b/c they didn't have audacity to committ the crimes that Bush and his administration has.

8 years of Clinton? Look at the progress that the economy, the job market, foreign relations, environmental issues, etc. made under the Clinton administration! T
here are many clear reasons for the division in Amerca today and every voice has a right to be heard and every relevant concern should be addressed and appeased when appropriate.

[edit on 11/4/2004 by ledbedder20]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
No, but you would be. Would the evangelical population EVER recognize gay marriage? No. Would they EVER accept those who do not agree with their values? Not the ones I know. It's easy for you to say get over it, your oppresive religious nazi regime won

As I pointed out, when Clinton won, I was not happy but, that the way it is. I didnt plot the disintegration of the union. Never even crossed my mind. Did Minnisota leave the union when they voted for Mondale agains the other 49 states that went to Reagan? Nope, they moved on as well. While you are obviously upset, guess what the sun still came up this morning eh?

And guess what, im an Athiest, Pro Choice, Supports Gay Marriage Republican.... Did your head just go Pop? (However, Im also in the SF Bay Area)If you want my reasons as to why its posted in other threads.

Its over, Kerry lost, move on. The Dems have a change to take back the House in 2 years. I would focus on trying to effect change within your own party to make that a reality. The Democrats have ignored (till it just bit them in the butt on the 2nd) the fundamental conservative shift in America.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
looks like it is about to happen sometime soon - good luck

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
As much as it would be nice to divide the country,its just not going to happen.

Personally,I dont feel I have to unify with anyone.If I dont like their beliefs,thats my problem.Just dont force yours on mine or there is going to be a problem.

We lost,we have to deal with that.Its time to tighten up our belts and work even harder for change.Remember,we are still 55,724,625 strong.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
are deciding how us big city "liberals" will live our lives?

so its better if you controlled them instead?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join