It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need Help With A Dental Decision Please!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I know some of you lovely ATS friends of mine have partial dentures out there. I am having 6 teeth removed in a few weeks and need your opinions on metal partials versus acrylic partials. I had 4 caps put in a few years back and a crown. The crown started messing up a couple of weeks ago and I was hoping it would hold out but it didn't. I broke the thing off 2 nights ago. One cap has never been right and the dentist that did all this work has left his practice and more than a few patients with less than stellar dental work. Too bad one can never find out about that until it is done.

Anyway, that work costed us a ton of money and to replace the crown is out of the question financially. I have always had problems with my teeth as has my whole family. I have decided that I will go ahead and have 4 caps and the teeth underneath pulled along with the tooth currently without a crown because I just can't see spending that money constantly only to lose the tooth in the end. I can get all the work done for less than it will cost for one temporary crown and at least I will know those will not have further problems.

If it makes a difference, I am talking about my two front teeth, both eye teeth and both canines. I do still have all of my teeth but still have no clue which is better. I get both sides when I research it online and the choice is my decision as per the dentist. The metal does cost more but I am willing to pay that extra bit if they are better. I would also be willing to save some money if they are not.

The whole thing makes me physically ill to even talk about.
I am dreading it badly but would appreciate any insight from first hand folks. Metal or acrylic?
edit on 4/29/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/29/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Errr? What?

2nd

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yes definitely do it.
What goes on in your mouth can affect the rest of your body.
Don't be scared of the dentist. Last time I went it was at worst just a sore mouth for a few days.
And they pulled out a tooth!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Yes definitely do it.
What goes on in your mouth can affect the rest of your body.
Don't be scared of the dentist. Last time I went it was at worst just a sore mouth for a few days.
And they pulled out a tooth!

I had 4 permanent teeth pulled 25 years ago to get my braces on and had a severe reaction to the laughing gas and am still terrified of the dentist til this day.
I do go when I have to.... I just almost cry on the way there.
There was really no pain afterwards like you said it's just not really fun.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Since its your front teeth, which option looks the most natural? That is the one I would go with.

Best of luck!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Since its your front teeth, which option looks the most natural? That is the one I would go with.

Best of luck!!!

I know that's right! That's the only reason I spent so much on caps to begin with. I certainly don't want to walk around looking scary.

The teeth are made of the same material it's just the clips/clasps, etc. that will be made from different material.

And thanks for the good luck. I need all I can get of it!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I've had metal lower partials for a year now. Front teeth and several more were missing. I don't regret paying for metal. The teeth replica's themselves will be made out of the same material regardless, but if you get metal, they fit so much better and if you lose more teeth the partial can be added to *saving you money in the long run. Even with metal, you will still get acrylic where it places over the gum to give a natural look. I have totally acrylic on my uppers and I hate it. The metal, I can't feel I even have anything in there. The total acrylic is definately a drawback.

That's my 2 cents worth... tested and tried.

Hope this helps. Wish someone had advised metal when I had my upper work.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wytewingdove

Thank you!!! Really.
The websites I checked out said that the metal is thinner and less bulky than the acrylic, but you are never sure what those places are "selling" if you know what I mean. The adding teeth to it does make it easier to pay for because (like you said) it is cheaper in the long run, I do sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post since you have experience with both.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

If they are your front teeth I'd go with acrylic. I had an acrylic partial in front for years and nobody knew unless I told them because it looked like my real teeth and gum (and it was replacing my front 6 teeth, so we have that in common). If it were back teeth I'd say metal as they don't really show and would probably be better for chewing. I recently had the rest of my top teeth taken out and got a full plate which is acrylic as well. You wouldn't know they're not my real teeth by looking at them. Hope that helps!

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Thanks to you as well!
I have a few weeks and a lot to think about it seems.
It's always nice to get first hand reviews I think and I am grateful to you and the others for helping me out.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Glad to be of help! It's always best to get as much info as you can from people who have been in your shoes so that you have as much information as possible. Whatever you decide I wish you luck!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

edit on 16-7-2013 by snarky412 because: Sorry....wrong thread

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalThinker88
Errr? What?

2nd

i like this reply. sorry. I don't think it's wrong to be amused.

anyway, technicalities aside, this one hit the home run.

top topics

join