It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Cold Shot, Snow & Severe Storms to Return to the Plains by Midweek!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

This is bad for agriculture especially fruit trees in this days or first days of May-April, also for bees keepers or early properly developing bees community etc ..

Snow, Severe Storms to Return to the Plains by Midweek

April 29, 2013; 4:45 AM

A strong surge of cold air will dive through the Plains early this week, helping to spark a round of severe weather on Wednesday, while bringing more snow to the Denver area.

The cold air will continue tracking southward into Tuesday, causing temperatures to drop between 15 and 20 degrees across the Dakotas, Wyoming and Minnesota compared to Monday's highs.

As AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Erik Pindrock stated earlier this weekend, "If everything comes together, the mountains to the west of Denver could receive a foot or more of snow on Wednesday, while the city picks up several inches."

It begins to get a bit more complicated in Denver where AccuWeather.com Meteorologists are forecasting near-record-high temperatures on Monday. Our forecasted high of 82 degrees would be just shy of the record of 83 from the year 1948.

While enjoying the near-record warmth, residents will find it hard to believe that they may need the snow shovel within 48 hours. As residents know, almost anything can happen in Denver during the Spring and the airport actually averages 1.1 inches of snow during the month of May, which makes this snow forecast hardly uncommon.

In fact, Denver's snowiest May in history occurred in 1898 when 15.5 inches of snow fell. While we aren't expecting anything like that with the Wednesday storm, there can certainly be a couple of inches of accumulation.

As the surge of cold air continues to dive southward, it will move into Denver and the Front Range, causing temperatures to drop into the 30s by Wednesday morning.

www.accuweather.com...

edit on 29-4-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Here in France, spring was well underway, sun shining and the flowers blooming. I was happy to see my fruit trees heavy with blooms.

Then, the rain started. It has been non-stop for four days (why I've been wasting time on ATS arguing about nonsense
) and Saturday , it snowed!

I couldn't believe it! That is NOT normal for this time of year here, and I am concerned about my plants and trees.
Last year I had no cherries, and if I can't this year I will be very frustrated.

This sucks.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Same things here, Croatia ..

Last years was terrible for fruit trees and bees, but this one is great so probably will be like we say here very fertile ..

edit on 29-4-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
It's all topsy turvy everywhere - Autumn here in New Zealand and it's sooo warm. I'm not complaining at all but wonder what is causing it all. I read not so long ago that the Jet Stream as altered course as was predicted after the Gulf Oil Disaster. Seems who ever it was predicted that it would have this effect (can't remember who) got it right. Apparently the Northern Hemisphere will see these colder temps at this time of year as 'the norm'.

Don't know what the effect will be in the Southern Hemisphere???

Did we ever really have definite seasons or was it all in our imagination lol.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Strange days indeed. I have a friend in Missouri who says some school days were cancelled last week due to snow, and here I am in Canada and all the snow is completely melted LOL. It's like everything is gradually reversing.
edit on 29-4-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
Here in France, spring was well underway, sun shining and the flowers blooming. I was happy to see my fruit trees heavy with blooms.

Then, the rain started. It has been non-stop for four days (why I've been wasting time on ATS arguing about nonsense

I couldn't believe it! That is NOT normal for this time of year here, and I am concerned about my plants and trees.
Last year I had no cherries, and if I can't this year I will be very frustrated.

This sucks.

Time to get my own back Bluesma considering where you live in France,

For once, us people up here in the center of France have gorgeous weather (Nice and sunny although cold on the morning), we even had 28° last week set up the BBQ for the first time in the year... but that is another story which can be read on my rant which can be found in my profile

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
It's the Same in Arkansas, in fact one of our local station weather blogs actually commented on it...

www.katv.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

"The sea ice is going rapidly. It's 80 percent less than it was just 30 years ago. There has been a dramatic loss. This is a symptom of global warming and it contributes to enhanced warming of the Arctic," said Jennifer Francis, research professor with the Rutgers Institute of Coastal and Marine Science.

According to Francis and a growing body of other researchers, the Arctic ice loss adds heat to the ocean and atmosphere which shifts the position of the jet stream – the high-altitude river of air that steers storm systems and governs most weather in northern hemisphere.

"This is what is affecting the jet stream and leading to the extreme weather we are seeing in mid-latitudes," she said. "It allows the cold air from the Arctic to plunge much further south. The pattern can be slow to change because the [southern] wave of the jet stream is getting bigger. It's now at a near record position, so whatever weather you have now is going to stick around," she said.

Francis linked the Arctic temperature rises to extreme weather in mid latitudes last year and warned in September that 2012's record sea ice melt could lead to a cold winter in the UK and northern Europe.

She was backed by Vladimir Petoukhov, professor of Earth system analysis at Potsdam Institute in Germany, whose research suggests the loss of ice this year could be changing the direction of the jet stream.

wunderground.com

And here's the abstract the geophysical research paper the person in the quoted article above published.

Arctic amplification (AA) - the observed enhanced warming in high northern latitudes relative to the northern hemisphere - is evident in lower-tropospheric temperatures and in 1000-to-500 hPa thicknesses. Daily fields of 500 hPa heights from the National Centers for Environmental Prediction Reanalysis are analyzed over N. America and the N. Atlantic to assess changes in north-south (Rossby) wave characteristics associated with AA and the relaxation of poleward thickness gradients. Two effects are identified that each contribute to a slower eastward progression of Rossby waves in the upper-level flow: 1) weakened zonal winds, and 2) increased wave amplitude. These effects are particularly evident in autumn and winter consistent with sea-ice loss, but are also apparent in summer, possibly related to earlier snow melt on high-latitude land. Slower progression of upper-level waves would cause associated weather patterns in mid-latitudes to be more persistent, which may lead to an increased probability of extreme weather events that result from prolonged conditions, such as drought, flooding, cold spells, and heat waves.

edit on 29-4-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Yep weather has been all over the place, been from 80 one day to 35-40 the next day here in KY. So I'm making a personal prediction/observation that when we finally get to summer we are going to begging for some rain.

But in the end times there will be an uptick in natural disasters check, wars and rumor of wars check, sound heard from all over check, and not being able tell the seasons almost checked sorry about the religious references but they do fit lol

keep your eyes peeled never know what the weather will be tomorrow

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I might as well chime in, I'm in SE England .. After a very cold end to a very long winter I think spring has finally come round trees are sprouting their leafs and blossom is appearing on my apple trees. Also fishing conditions are improving

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Melbourne down under - still warm after a very hot March with nearly two weeks of over 30 degrees celcius (the entire month was a stinker bar a couple of cool breaks). Finally getting those lovely cool (almost but not quite crisp yet) mornings, but it still feels too warm.

Melbourne can get snow but it's a rare event. The winters seem shorter and warmer each passing year.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Well, not sure if this is all related but, where are the worms? I remember in the spring when it was raining, you couldn't take a step without stepping on them. This has been a very rainy spring and I don't see any worms. I am in Ontario, Canada; anybody else notice this?

Q. Why do worms come onto driveways and sidewalks when it rains?

A. Dr. Dennis Linden, Cindy Hale, and other worm experts say that worms do NOT surface to avoid drowning. In fact, they come to the surface during rains (especially in the spring) so they can move overland. The temporarily wet conditions give worms a chance to move safely to new places. Since worms breathe through their skin, the skin must stay wet in order for the oxygen to pass through it. After rain or during high humidity are safe times for worms to move around without dehydrating. It is true that, without oxygen, worms will suffocate. But earthworms can survive for several weeks under water, providing there is sufficient oxygen in the water to support them.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Do you have to deliver such negative information? Couldn't you just lie and say it is going to be unseasonably warm
I'm sick of the snow, we still have a foot and a half on the ground at my house and snowcovered roofs.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Tasmania is cold/windy.

Tonight seems calm but over the weekend it was cold wind, had to cover my bird aviary with sheets of tin, because the birds were getting hammered with it.

But I have noticed the weather is weird.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

This sucks.

This is off topic..but... is it true that french women don't shave thier armpits?

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The weather is goin crazy. It's summer, if i'm correct, but we're still gettin cold shots, n snow, n all that.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Lucky you!!!
Wednesday I got a sunburn, and we barbequed in the evening, the next day it was all downhill.

I'll be back in Cali in a few days, and hopefully it will be sunny as usual.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by resoe26

LOL! No it is not true. They don't shave though- they all wax, and they wax everything (including arms).

I have no idea where the hairy myth originated. They say that about the Portuguese. I have a feeling it is the standard joke to make about any peoples you want to put down.

But back on topic.....

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

reply to post by resoe26

LOL! No it is not true. They don't shave though- they all wax, and they wax everything (including arms).

I have no idea where the hairy myth originated. They say that about the Portuguese. I have a feeling it is the standard joke to make about any peoples you want to put down.

But back on topic.....

right on.

Weather has been typical in my area.
Just started getting warmer though. We were thinking that Spring would NEVER come though for a minute there.
--I guess here in NW Indiana it was typical to get snow storms in mid April back in the day. (but I pray I don't see snow for a LONG time)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
here in Stockton calif...it's going to be 95 degrees today, we had no spring, 50's during the winter a couple of days in the 70's and then boom...summertime...i've had the A/C on for the last 7 days, because it kept climbing past 80 degrees inside. thankfully, no humidity, I don't know how people back east stand it....sweating every time you move

top topics

<<   2 >>

join