It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My photos from the Australian International Airshow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Hey guys,

Thought I'd share with you a few pictures I took at the Australia International Airshow. I went there a bit over a month ago and haven't really got around to editing many of them since they were shot in raw and I've been lazy

USAF F-16

Tinsticks of dynamite with a bit of pyrotechniques In the background

F-22 Raptor 09-4173

I have a few more pics I can add when I finish editing them. I know a lot of you guys on here are from the states so I thought I'd show you a few pics of an airshow down under

I went on the last day of the airshow and I didn't think the planes from the states would fly as I heard about the sequestration going into effect the day before I think it was.

Anyway hope you enjoy them.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Here are the best of my pictures of the same airshow, I went on Sunday, F-22 and the F/A-18F were the best. Most pictures of flying aircraft were taken from closer to the northern end of the runway.

About 750 photos were taken, most turned out a little under exposed (sky was bright, underside of planes was relatively dark) and my maximum focal length is only 105 mm (APS-C DSLR), but I still got some pretty good shots.

imgur.com...

Note: You can view a larger size by hovering the mouse over the top right of the image, clicking, then clicking view full resolution.

Assuming the USAF goes next time, I'll have a 300 mm lens, plus will add some exposure compensation to make them brighter before post.
edit on 29/4/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Nice shots cobzz! I also went on the Sunday, I wish the raptor flew earlier In the day so the sun was in a better position but ah well. I think I've seen your pics somewhere else also, you wouldn't happen to be a member of jetspotter would you?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Stealthbomber

Hey,

thanks for the complements. The pictures were also posted on reddit.
edit on 30/4/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Nice pictures thanks..

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
Here are the best of my pictures of the same airshow, I went on Sunday, F-22 and the F/A-18F were the best. Most pictures of flying aircraft were taken from closer to the northern end of the runway.

About 750 photos were taken, most turned out a little under exposed (sky was bright, underside of planes was relatively dark) and my maximum focal length is only 105 mm (APS-C DSLR), but I still got some pretty good shots.

imgur.com...

Note: You can view a larger size by hovering the mouse over the top right of the image, clicking, then clicking view full resolution.

Assuming the USAF goes next time, I'll have a 300 mm lens, plus will add some exposure compensation to make them brighter before post.
edit on 29/4/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)
Even better should have your own thread!!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

If you have Lightroom, or a similar programme, you can brighten the shadows on your images to reveal more detail or make the planes stand out more

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Hey,

I did that, the unedited images were much worse and unfortunately if the shadow details are lost there's not much I can do.
Still, good photos.

Thanks.
edit on 1/5/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
OUTSTANDING JOB

Keep up the good work

Great Pictures and it looks like it was definitely a fun show

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Yes, they are. I really enjoyed seeing them
as you say, if you overexposed slightly next time it is easier to bring it down than go the other way. Just be wary of blowing out detail completely as this can be just as bad. Which 300mm lens are you getting for next time?

I would recommend the Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD which is only about £300 and is truly excellent. There is a cheaper Tamron (and other makes) of this focal length but you really would see the difference. A pro photographer (which I am not) told me the difference in quality between this lens and his L series canon lens was minuscule compared to the difference in price, and I am glad I listened to him. Hope this is useful.

slrgear.com...
edit on 1-5-2013 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Which 300mm lens are you getting for next time?

At the moment I am a student so unfortunately I can't afford anything too fancy. Maybe the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm. 200$ AUD or so. I'll also check the Tamron you linked. D5100 body.

Next airshow is in two years, hopefully I will have a cushy job by then so I can get something fancy.
edit on 1/5/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I have had some Tamron lenses and while they are decent for the price, if you have a Nikon, which I assume you do, go with the Nikkor lens if you can afford it; especially if you plan on doing any serious work.. I would even go with a Sigma for a Nikon over the Tamron

Just my personal choices of course

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Awesome photos!

I've always wanted to see an "American" fighter in real life. Seen plenty of F18s and F111s in my time because we have them, but I used to build model fighters and would love to see an old F14, F15 or F16 especially. So I'm a bit disappointed I didn't go since there was an F16 there.

But an F22 was there too?!!

Now I'm hurting...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Thank You Gentlemen.

Really enjoyed the posted photos. Good to see.

top topics

join