It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post your favourite quotes here! :D

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Hi all,

I understand that a thread such as this comes along every once in a while, but i think we need a new one now, just to break the tension and all the other happenings around ATS. Plus it provides a fun and interesting activity, in which we can all engage in, and discuss about.

I will start by posting some of my favourite quotes:

"Our buildings can only be as tall, as their bricks are strong. Our civilisation is only as strong, as its ideas are true. When our buildings are erected by the corrupt, when their cement is cut with dirt, when pristine steel is replaced by scrap, our buildings are not safe to live in. And when our media is corrupt, when our academics are timid, when our history is filled with half-truths and lies, our civilisation will never be just, it will never reach to the sky. Our societies are intellectual shanty towns, our beliefs about the world, and each other have been created by the same system that has lied us into repeated wars that have killed millions. You can't build a skyscraper out of plasticine, and you can't build a just civilisation out of ignorance and lies."

Julian Assange, December, 2012.

___

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind."

Edward Bernays, Propaganda, 1928.
___

"Man's freedom is lacking if somebody else controls what he needs, for need may result in man's enslavement of man."

Muammar Gaddafi, The Green Book, 1975.

___

Now it is your turn to post your favourite quotes or statements!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
"Love and hate is a dynamic relationship." - (myself)

"Perfection is a state of mind." - (myself)

"Indifference can be a beautiful thing." - (myself)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
"Cleanliness is next to Loch Ness" - Krakatoa

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
"Truth In Knowledge Exists In Knowing You Know Nothing." - Socrates, I believe...

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'm one person who is more of a thinker and a doer. Someone who is always on the move and exploring what life has to offer. Therefore I feel these quotes are my favorite and explain how I see the world.

Napoleon Bonaparte: "Men are moved by two levers only: Fear and self-interest."

Julius Caesar: "If you must break the law, do it to seize power: In all other cases observe it."

Margaret Thatcher: "To wear your heart on your sleeve isn't a very good plan; you should wear it inside, where it functions best."

Margaret Thatcher: "When you fight - fight to win."

Alexander Hamilton: "Men love power."

Carl Sagan: "Valid criticism is doing you a favor."

Karl Rove: "[I] set goals and repeatedly check performance against those goals."

Karl Rove: "[A campaign that is run by me] has a strategic plan, discipline, and a bias for action. It is structured to keep momentum."

I dislike Rush Limbaugh, but I love this cocky quote by him.
Rush Limbaugh: "The only reason people are willing to pay me [$400 million] is because the people who invest in me get results beyond their expectations."

Joseph Stalin: "[My] principles triumph; they do not 'compromise.'"

Jack Welch: "The world isn't that complex!"

Jack Welch: "Self-confident people aren't afraid to have their views challenged. They relish the intellectual combat

Michael Porter: "To be successful, an organization must have a very strong leader who's willing to make choices and define the trade-offs."

Benazir Bhutto: "Leadership requires action: daring to take steps that are necessary but unpopular."

Niccolo Machiavelli: "Anyone who studies present and ancient affairs will easily see how in all cities and all peoples there still exist, and have always existed, the same patterns."

Voltaire: "To hold a pen is to be at war."

Adam Smith: "Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."

Karl Marx: "I admire [Darwin's theory] because it serves as a basis in the natural sciences for the class struggle."

Ayn Rand: "While animals survive by adjusting themselves to their background, man survives by adjusting his background to himself."

Friedrich Nietzsche: "What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power, power itself in man. What is bad? All that proceeds from weakness."

Stephen Hawking: "My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe."

Jay-Z: "I love metaphors, and for me hustling is the ultimate metaphor for the ... human struggle: ... The struggle to win and to make sense of it all."

Lone Frank: "A girlfriend called me 'brutally honest'. A judgment that made me feel all warm inside and happy with myself until she put her hands on her hips and shouted: 'It's cruel! Don't you understand that people despise honesty?'"

Warren Buffett: "There is no formula to figure [value] out. You have to know the business [and the company] has to be run by honest and able people."

Alexander: "There is nothing impossible to him who will try."

Churchill: "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Malcolm X: "No one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."

Franklin Roosevelt: "We need to do things; not to talk about them."

James Randi: "The average person out there doesn't realize how easily they can be deceived by a clever operator."

Roosh: "Every system, no matter how secure it looks, has a flaw which can be gamed."

LaVey: "My definition of evil [is] what doesn't feel good, what pains you [and] what you find unpleasant. Good is what feels good."

Musashi: "If you make your opponent flinch, you have already won."

Putin: "One should never fear threats. It's like with a dog. A dog senses when somebody is afraid of it, and bites. The same applies [with humans]. If you become jittery, they will think that they are stronger."

Rice: "I've always found the hedonistic or anarchist view of freedom troubling."

Rice: "People may oppose you, but when they realize you can hurt them, they'll join your side."

Tyson: "[We should] not only teach people what science is and what it does, but why it should mean something to them, and why it matters to society and everything that we hold dear."

Cheney: "Principle is okay up to a certain point, but principle doesn't do any good if you lose."

I cannot many quotes I have pasted. But these are good quotes I always love to look at.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Here are some more from me. Heck! I'm bored with a lot of time on my hands.

President Reagan: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

President Reagan: We in government should learn to look at our country with the eyes of the entrepreneur, seeing possibilities where others see only problems

President Reagan: We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

Mao Zedong: “Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed.”

Kim Jong-il: “A man who dreads trials and difficulties cannot become a revolutionary. If he is to become a revolutionary with an indomitable fighting spirit, he must be tempered in the arduous struggle from his youth. As the saying goes, early training means more than late earning.”

Kim Il-Sung: “The oppressed peoples can liberate themselves only through struggle. This is a simple and clear truth confirmed by history.”

Adolf Hitler: “Generals think war should be waged like the tourneys of the Middle Ages. I have no use for knights; I need revolutionaries.”

Josef Stalin: "Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.”

I have heard this quote wasn't by Stalin. However, it is close to the truth on how death is taken by my the media and all kinds of people.

Josef Stalin: “One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.”

George Carlin: Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?

George Carlin: Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Mark Twain: There are many humorous things in the world; among them, the white man’s notion that he less savage than the other savages.

J.K. Rowling: "The wizards represent all that the [normal person] most fears: They are plainly outcasts and comfortable with being so."
edit on 28-4-2013 by Phoenix267 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

These two spring to mind (but there are plenty more)...

"If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin." - Charles Darwin

"The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible." - Mark Twain

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$-Poor Progress - Me - 1984
edit on 28-4-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
"What would you do with a brain if you had one?"... Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz.

I always like that one. I tell it to my friends at work all the time.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

LIFE IS LIKE A BOWL OF CHERRIES WITH THE PITS IN THEM, EAT THE SWEET PART AND SPIT OUT THE PIT!--- ME

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

“Happiness is pretty simple: someone to love, something to do, something to look forward to.” - Rita Mae Brown

"Life is tough; but it's tougher when your stupid." - John "The Duke" Wayne

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. - George S. Patton

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
''Never Give in, Never give in, never, never, never, never-in nothing great or small, large or petty - never give in except to conviction of honor and good sense.''

- W. Churchill.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
"i made baby-gravy when all the other iron-men appeared" - me on leaving the cinema, saturday evening

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

"The future's not set. There's no fate but what we make for ourselves."
- Kyle Reese(from Sarah Connor), The Terminator 1984

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
- Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu.

"One drop in the ocean creates a ripple. Ripples become waves that can change the face of the world."
(Unknown)

"Individually we are one drop. Together we are an ocean."
- Ryunosuke Satoro

I wish more people would pay closer attention to that last one. The division in this world suck sometimes...

edit on 29/4/2013 by 74Templar because: sp

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
“Is the spring coming?" he said. "What is it like?"...

"It is the sun shining on the rain and the rain falling on the sunshine...”

― Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden

"The time to relax is when you don't have time for it" (Sydney J. Harris)

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.” -- Jimi Hendrix

“Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth.” --Pablo Picasso

“Not all those who wander are lost.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien

“Do, or do not. There is no ‘try.’” – Jedi Yoda

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint on the broken glass.” -- Anton Chekhov

“Knowledge is Life with wings.” -- Kahlil Gibran

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

One of the craziest things I've learned about doing time is that when you're in the free world, it is important to have friends. But when you're in prison, it is important to have some enemies. In here a friendship is only a figment of the imagination.

This is the place where you have to be weary of anyone who claims to be your friend. They will betray you quickly. They are easily roused to envy. They also become spoiled and tyrannical. I would even go so far as to say that if you were to recruit an enemy to a common cause, he would be more loyal than that of a so called friend, because he'll have more to prove. In fact, I believe you have more to fear from a so called friend than you would an enemy. So yes, in prison, if a man doesn't have any enemies, he should find a way to make some.

- Donte Johnson
Death Row, NV

top topics

join