It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiritual Alchemy: Philosopher's Stone, Elixir of Life, and Transmutation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Alchemy is defined as:

"The medieval forerunner of chemistry, based on the supposed transformation of matter, esp. that of base metals into gold."

For many ages, alchemists have sought two particular fabled items: The Philosopher's Stone and the creation of the Elixir of Life. The Philosopher's Stone is a "legendary alchemical substance said to be capable of turning base metals (lead, for example) into gold or silver. Meanwhile, the Elixir of Life is "a legendary/mythical potion, or drink, that when drank from a certain cup, at a certain time, grants the drinker eternal life and/or eternal youth."

While modern scientists have scoffed at the practice of alchemy, we do know this. Lead CAN be turned into gold by a process in which two particular atoms are knocked off from lead, which turns it into gold. However, the process by which this occurs actually costs more than the value of the gold made from the process. In other words, no profit would be made, as the process is more expensive than the result of that process.

Also, we do know that, since the mortal body is subject to the law of what in Buddhism is called "samsara" which is the everchangingness of all things (in other words, nothing, at least in the physical and material world, stays the same, and is in a constant state of "flux", which is a term for change coined by ancient Greek philosophers). Thus, there could never be an Elixir of Life that makes us physically immortal, since they would break a fundamental law of nature.

But let's look at this from a different standpoint. If the transmutation of lead into gold is not a viable process through modern scientific means, if we have no tangible evidence to suggest alchemists were ever able to do it, and the Elixir of Life is an impossibility, then alchemy comes apart at the seams. Or does it?

As it turns out, ancient alchemy, in its original form, was NOT interested in turning lead into gold. Rather, alchemy was interested in the transmutation of the self. The transmutation of the alchemist from a physical, material existence into a purely spiritual existence.

This sort of alchemy, before it was tainted by the wanton desire for gold and further tainted by churches and states who tried to either wipe out alchemists or coerce alchemists into giving them the process, or the gold which they thought alchemists could make, was a far more philosophical and/or mystical means of transcending the base, animalistic, materialistic state of being.

The problem was, that alchemists weren't exactly unified in how this would occur, by what process their being would go through transmutation. The Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Arab Muslims, Indians, Chinese, Japanese, and later Renaissance Europeans all came up with different alchemical methods. Though they were connected by common ideas, they had subtle differences. One would, perhaps then, have a radically different idea of transmutation than another.

But if transmutation of the physical to the spiritual is possible, then there should be ONE way of doing this. After all, transmutation would have to be a pretty radical and special process and experience, much in the same way that the later process by doing this is a unique process (in other words, right now, we only know the one way to transmute lead into gold, by knocking off two atoms from lead). It would be a be a total, singular, unified understanding of this process of transmutation.

Fortunately for us, there IS a process of transmutation available to us. Furthermore, there IS an Elixer of Life.

It's in the last place you may expect to find it.

It's in the Bible.

First, transmutation in the BIble: Though the word "transmutation" is not found anywhere in the Bible, but we do have a parallel to the "lead into gold" concept.

1 Peter 1:19 says, "But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot."

PRECIOUS. What does that word mean? "Of high cost or worth; valuable." What gives something value, that would give it its preciousness? SCARCITY.

Gold is a PRECIOUS metal because of its scarcity, while lead is not itself valuable. Itself, it is worthless. It can be used for worthwhile purposes. This is why you can take a gold coin and buy something with it, but a lead coin would hardly be worth the process that was used to cast the coin. Gold is precious because of its SCARCITY, in the same way that anything "limited edition" is more valuable than standard edition items of the same ilk. SCARCITY is what makes something precious.

I can hardly think of anything more precious than the blood of a sinless, blameless man. A man who, born of a virgin, performed miracles, was tortured and executed brutally, but had victory over death and ascended into the Heavenly abode.

Jesus's blood is PRECIOUS because of its SCARCITY. It's the only one of its kind.

We are worthless sinners. Like lead, a dull, grey, hardly shining metal that is far from precious and hardly useful, we are spiritually dead, intellectually grey, hardly glorifying the Most High, and hardly useful.

By the incredible process of transmutation that is salvation gained by the PRECIOUS blood that atones for our sins, we become gold. Gold, that is valuable to God. Gold, that shines beautifully, and reflects the glorious light of God.

But like the process in modern science of turning lead into gold, the process which we turn are turned from sinners to something that God can value is expensive.

Yet, that expensive price, we don't have to pay. Christ did, by accepting all sins and transgressions into Himself, to be forsaken by God, and in agony, die. But as surely as He rose from the dead and exited his tomb, surely His atoning blood will be the philosopher's stone by which we are transmuted.

The philosopher's stone is sometimes synonymous with the Elixir of Life. It is. By that philosopher's stone (the blood of Christ) and the transmutation of ourselves into some more precious and scarce (true believers are rare, Matthew 7:1), we may have the Elixir of Life: Absolute immortality in the presence of our Creator, unending life that God has offered us through the murder of His Son.

In closing, this is not an attempt to delve into the occult and reconcile it with Christianity. Far from it. Alchemists who sought silver and gold from their works, failed in their greed. Alchemists who sought personal transmutation, failed. For the only true transmutation is salvation, the only Philosopher's Stone is the blood of the Lamb, and the only Elixir of Life is the result of being saved. Do not seek salvation in esoteric, occult concepts, as it is a fruitless venture. Neither seek personal gain through alchemy or any similar system, as it will only lead to personal and eternal loss. Jesus is the only way, God is the only end.
edit on 28-4-2013 by FollowTheWhiteRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Great post my friend. You are on the right track into understanding the deeper meaning between the physical and ethereal and its balance. It all starts with the internal transmutation and thus awakening of our energy centers. Through my half assed, yet experience laden journey through my own transmutation i have come to see a more synchronized path that is leading me somewhere. It is in each individual and it is the divine path. When you take in the saying, nature always finds a way, think of it like this: Through my life industrial and technological barriers have been put up, as well as societal and environmental, to keep me on a specific broken cycle of living. Through my experiences and the reflecting time i gave to myself and life through my suffering i found various ways to break down the walls and face my shadows i have buried. They were shown to me through golden light through meditative and spiritual experiences to help me see in a larger picture who i am and how the positive energy i am gaining can be given back to create a ripple effect on others lives. The step i am on currently is learning patience and grounding to keep myself functional, healthy and on a steady flow for my visions of the path i am leading myself on.

Everyone has their purpose in this big plan! Together we will make it.

And as for positive and negative energy. Look at this website. It is filled with fear! Fear of living life. It is always always always a good idea to have a plan. But you need to have a preparedness plan A through Z. Each stepping stone will help each of you get to whatever it is will fulfill you on a internal level. Desire for only earthly desires will ultimately lead you on a cycle of suffering. If you learn from it and dig out the roots of the problem you will heal and find better seeds to sow in yourself and around you. There is a point where everyone here needs to realize that there is being aware and being overwhelmed by fear and not finding personal empowerment to change or at least find better solutions to deal with the issues at our feet. Self reliance is a part of self discovery and discipline. It takes patience and proper will and drive! # the fear! Forever.

edit on 28-4-2013 by jvm222 because: needed to add more

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

I like it.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I was really excited when I started reading this post only to find that it was turning into a tie in for Christianity. I have huge problem with this because a majority of alchemy is actually related to paganism and more specifically Greek mythology. When alchemist first discovered metals through metallurgy, they named them after the Greek Gods (which also were used for naming the recently discovered planets). Interesting fact, Mercury is the only metal to retain it's planet/God name. There is an interesting article I recently read that discusses this and more.

www.swiftchem.org...

You will find in the article several interesting sections that discuss how alchemy was affected by and have effects on other aspects of society and culture. None of them involving Jesus. If you had some reference that discusses Jesus and a relation to alchemy I'd be interested in reading it.

You are correct though that some alchemist were driven by greed and developed unhealthy obsessions, but not all alchemist were that way.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplecannon

Moby Dick doesn't have references to Jesus either, but I've heard things in the book referenced during sermons in relation to the Bible, in particular the crucifixion of Jesus. It doesn't take away the validity of what is said.
edit on 28-4-2013 by FollowTheWhiteRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

So you are saying that If I take one small negative aspect of something (alchemist unhealthy obsession and greed) and use it as a tool to convince people that my OPINION is the correct opinion by making a comparison, you are saying that this is validated?

That's like saying I can validate the evil's of religion by focusing on excerpts from the bible that talk about revenge and justice and stating that "We should all focus on forgiveness and not pettiness, unlike in the bible where Christians focus on "an eye for an eye".

Would it be fair of me to generalize a topic over a small aspect of it? No it would not.
edit on 28-4-2013 by Purplecannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Just an adjunctant, Edgar Allen Poe wrote a short story called "Von Kempelen and His Discovery". This involves a regular person of no recognizable fortune being able to buy the Maserati or land equivilant of his time. Under suspicion of forgergy cops raided and found a laboratory 10x 8 feet with chemical apparatus in his house (this is the closest description of alchemy Ive ever seen or earliest depiction). In one corner of the closet was a very small furnace, fire under a crucible, and on another flame a kind of duplicate crucible which was connected by a tube. One of these crucibles was full of LEAD in a state of fusion, but not reaching up to the apperture of the tube, which was close to the brim. The other crucible had some liquid in it that furiously disapated into vapor. They relate that on finding himself taken (Von Dempelen siezed the crucibles with both hands (which were encased in gloves that afterward turned out to be asbestos) and tried to demonstrate or hide the potencial. The mix supposedly was lead / antimony and an unknown substance in equal purportions (personally think it was Mercury). What the police thought was brass stored in the trunk under his bed was actually gold and because its a Poe story (in his mind) would eventually drive the price of lead higher than gold (irony not escaped). There is proof of Newton, Nostradamous and DaVinci studing this as pure science alchemical. Why not? Magick must exist someone is not telling what the majickal element is. I suggest it is spirit.

edit on 28-4-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplecannon

I'm using a concept that has extended far beyond actual alchemy (we see it in movies, TV shows, books, video games), but they are all, for the most part, involved with the same real world alchemy. Thus, I'm using a concept from something that I contend is fantasy (that is, a fantastical notion one can use primitive means to turn lead into gold).

It would not be wrong to do so. Taking the concept of alchemy and using it to relate a point in Christianity is the same as a preacher using any other concept to relate a point in Christianity.

I'm not saying salvation IS alchemical transmutation, but that the concept of alchemical transmutation is LIKE salvation, in that it's turning a base and near worthless thing into a useful, precious, valuable, and scarce thing.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Hello and may Peace be with you FollowTheWhiteRabbit.

I agree with Purplecannon's reply;

"I was really excited when I started reading this post only to find that it was turning into a tie in for Christianity."

I am afraid to tell you that your entire OP is based upon a dogmatic and doctrinal ideology which does not conform with the message of LORD YHWH nor Jesus.

1. There is no Original Sin
2. There is no blood atonement for sin
3. Jesus is not a savior from sin

"The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin."
Deuteronomy 24:16

"But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge."
Jeremiah 31:30

"The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him."
Ezekiel 18:20

"Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour."
1 Corinthians 3:8

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
Galatians 6:7-9

• Children are not saturated in Original Sin, because Jesus said;

"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 19:14

• There is no salvation for mere belief in Jesus;

"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
Matthew 7:21-23

Philosophical Alchemy is about cultivating divine wisdom and understanding through self-examination and carefully cultivating and weeding the emotions, thoughts, words, and actions of one's self towards the higher vibrations of Unity, Love, Peace, Compassion, Joy, and Happiness. It is about dissolving the impurities of selfishness, greed, hate, anger, prejudice, fear, regret, grudges, and worries. The transmutation of becoming One with All.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

However, many teachings attributed to Jesus are indeed related to Philosophical Alchemy.

These two verses are in regards to working on one's own self instead of judging or complaining about others:

He lifted up himself, and said unto them, 'He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.'
John 8:7

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
Matthew 7:1-5

These two verses are in regards to the Kingdom of God (aka Philosopher's Stone):

"Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
Gospel of Thomas 3

"Jesus saw infants being suckled. He said to his disciples, "These infants being suckled are like those who enter the kingdom."
They said to him, "Shall we then, as children, enter the kingdom?"
Jesus said to them, "When you make the two one, and when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the above like the below, and when you make the male and the female one and the same, so that the male not be male nor the female female; and when you fashion eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand, and a foot in place of a foot, and a likeness in place of a likeness; then will you enter the kingdom."

Gospel of Thomas 22

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It goes against the Spirit of Hermes and Alchemy, when you tie it specifically to one form of expression such as Christianity alone when people of all walks of life have strived in the Great Work.

edit on 30-4-2013 by Arles Morningside because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Hi been a while since I last posted, I would just like to make 2 bold statements, transmutation of base metals into gold is actually possible and the process is really basic just not well known and also the elixirs of life is real two, youve probably even heard of one of them which is colloidal silver which kills all known viruses so if your ill it would give you more life and the next rejuvenates vital organs which is colloidal gold to much can be bad for your and it needs to be purer then 24kt which is only 925 parts per 1000 the rest is probably copper which will poison you but lets get one things straight these wont give you eternal life misinterpreted through history, and transmutation all elements are made of the same things nucleus protons electrons just a different number of each a good books on the subject 'walter russell the universal one' elements go through a process of imperfection to perfection starting at the bottom end of the octaves through to the top end something not really taught in school hydrogen which is apparently the first element in the periodic table is actually in the 4th octave so where's all the ones before well there not precievable to mankind so they've been conveniently left out and oxygen free copper is what's turned into gold with the help of minerals from certain types of rocks the copper needs a major shift in frequency which is accomplished with heat and pressure the heat makes the pressure if you put a sheet of that copper flat with certain minerals one top in lets say a kiln youll get a sort of bonding/fussion between the two and if you get it just right youll have a layer of gold in between the two but any other element could also be in between its like magic but not, theres also 3 type of gold positive negative and a master type, more can be learned by downloading' energy from the vacuum' or buying it, its even got a part titled transmutation...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Interesting thread but prepare yourself before walking down this road as it hold many pitfalls and more than one mind has been lost to the maddening metaphysical theorem, I suggest you read the Hermetica and then look for a book called the rosicrutions (one caveat that many miss the order of the Golden and Rosi Cross is not the Spanish imposter cult that exist today and the title as well as the story of father Rosencrantz are Gnostic in form so not to read literally only interpreted), the name rosicrution means Rosy Cross and the Golden refers to the gold of ophir and is representative of the wisdom of Solomon (See the Kabbalah), the cross of course is self explanatory and the rose represents the mother as well as several other interpretation's, they predated the modern freemasons by hundred's of years and represented the vestiges of Gnostic tradition's.

As you already know unlike the child science that grew out of it Alchemy included the concept of spiritual elements and though independent with a different philosophy Taoists are still using Chinese alchemy today.

The philosophers stone has not gone away it has merely become the Grand Unified Field theory and physicists knowingly or un knowingly are still searching for it today.

As I say if you get interested in this be careful it can play havoc with your mind.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

Very nice post.

Brian P. Copenhaver gave us a fantastic source of the corpus:
"Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius"

May I also suggest;
"Kybalion"
"Emerald Tablets of Hermes" (Fulcanelli and Madame Blavatsky did wonderful interpretations)
"Tao Te Ching"

The lectures of Jiddu Krishnamurti contain much essence.

And with these types of understandings, it is wonderful to collectively read the non-canonical Gospels (especially Thomas) as well as the 4 Biblical Gospels.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Thanks for the read rabbit, dont worry about naysayers.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Your on the right track, just remember, do you wish to live in your own sins for eternity, or accept them and pay for them? I learned that when I read on how to make ORME.

But speaking of Alchemy, all around you is the result of Alchemy. You, me, every living this is the perfect result of Alchemy. The human body goes by another name; Homunculi. However, uncompared to the cloning process that science is so desperate to make, you make the body. Start from the ground, that is what God did.

However, God was no fool. He made the perfect Homunculi, Adam. Then took Adam's building structure and made another one, but designed to hold life, Adam named the other one Eve, the opposite gender of Adam.

Trick question: What came first, the chicken or the egg? Easy, the chicken, because the egg is the code that was past down from the chicken. Just had to answer that.

This is all part of a plan, good sir. And this, is how we can learn to be Gods/Goddesses. Better start early rather than late.

Oh, one more note, to support twice as much life on a planet, make it hollow.
edit on 1-5-2013 by FreedomCommander because: missing question and answer

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kgnow

Good sir, I wish you well. I wish to tell you that going off the bible 100% of the time, is not a good move for you, less for anyone here.

Going off someone that is far more intelligent than I or anyone here, they have said; "They say they know nothing at all about our Jesus, and say our Bible has been mistranslated, misinterpreted and misconstrued."

Maybe they know him by a different name, but none the less, the Bible is that.

I wish you well.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The Initiate may find it helpful to consider such works as the Dialogues of Plato and the Nag Hammadi works as well when studying the Corpus Hermeticum and Emerald Tablet. These will touch on many of the subjects to be found in Hermetica.

There is an old depiction of Alchemists burning their books, what that represents is that real learning will take place when the books are tossed away.

"As many then as understood the Herald's Tidings and doused themselves in Mind, became partakers in Gnosis; and when they had "recieved Mind" they were made "perfect men"." ~ IV., Corpus Hermeticum

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
To clarify, the 'burning of books' is a time when it is time to let go of books and not a statement against books and study.

top topics

join