It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the Obama administration is redefining the US military's strategic priorities with far-reaching

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
www.aljazeera.com

The United States' military expenditures today account for about 40 percent of the world total. In 2012, the US spent some $682bn on its military - an amount more than what was spent by the next 13 countries combined.

Now that the war in Iraq is over and the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan will be complete in 2014, the stage might therefore appear to be set for a decrease in US defence spending. Even in Washington DC, many have argued that the defence budget can be cut substantially and the resulting "peace dividend" could be diverted to more pressing domestic concerns, such as dealing with the nation's continuing economic problems.

"We need a threat," Spinney says, "Al-Qaeda has sort of run out of strength and we have to have a new threat to justify continued spending." Spinney believes that there is little chance of a peace dividend after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. "We are going to pivot to Asia and increase the defence budget," he says.

There are signs he could be right.

This month, President Obama released a 2014 federal budget proposal that called for $526.6bn in funding for the department of defense. It was widely expected that the defence total would be at least $50bn less.

The White House and the Pentagon chose to ignore the statutory requirement for a $50bn reduction mandated by sequestration. They apparently hope that sequestration can be overturned, and defence budget cuts already agreed to, reversed. Instead of laying the groundwork for a peace dividend by putting the Pentagon on a glide path to smaller budgets, the administration's proposal projects increases in America's base defence budget over the next five years.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whatzshaken

i think somebodies' math is wrong.
682-526.6=155.4
it looks like they cut 105.4 billion more than the mandated by sequester

ETA: ok i see they cut 41bn in 2013, and proposed 526.6 in 2014
still, 682-41=641. 641-526.6=114.5. so that's 64.5 more the the sequester.

edit on 28-4-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

They apparently hope that sequestration can be overturned, and defence budget cuts already agreed to, reversed. Instead of laying the groundwork for a peace dividend by putting the Pentagon on a glide path to smaller budgets, the administration's proposal projects increases in America's base defence budget over the next five years

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
my business (home repair) has been pretty slow for some time.
maybe i should blow-up some houses.

remember, i seen it here first!

top topics

join