It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are what you do. BUT does one bad thing affect you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think so. Watching the Jays/Yankees this afternoon Robbie Alomar came up as a dude that is going to be at a camp this year for the kids. Roberto Alomar:

Roberto "Robbie" Alomar Velázquez (/ˈæləmɑr/; Spanish pronunciation: [aloˈmar]; born February 5, 1968)[1] is a former Major League Baseball player (1988–2004), regarded by many as one of the best second basemen in MLB history.[2][3] During his career, the 12-time All-Star won more Gold Gloves (10) than any other second baseman in history, and also won the second-most Silver Slugger Awards (4) for a second baseman.[4] On January 5, 2011, Alomar was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, in his second year of eligibility. He became the first Hall of Fame member to be inducted as a Toronto Blue Jays player.[

en.wikipedia.org...

He was a helluva player. One of the best. Was that the first thing I thought of when it was announced that he would be in the youth camps? No. I thought of this:

On September 27, 1996, during a game against the Blue Jays, Alomar got into a heated argument over a called third strike with umpire John Hirschbeck and spat in his face. He defended himself by saying Hirschbeck had uttered a racial slur and that Hirschbeck had been bitter since one son had died of ALD and another had been recently diagnosed as well. Upon hearing this public disclosure of his private life, Hirschbeck had to be physically restrained from confronting Alomar in the players' locker room.

It's sad that a GREAT career was tainted by one small incident but that happens. Think about it.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

It is very sad that these guys have it all and one moment one bad judgement one thing tarnishes their image. With celebrity comes responsibility I guess, I am now thinking about Pete Rose. Another great player who made a bad mistake and who was one of the greatest baseball players in the nation who will never see the hall of fame.

These guys need to realize with all the fame and money they have a responsibility to the sport and to the game. It has to be tremendous pressure to be a real live person with flaws in the spotlight where everything you do is seen and heard and watched and scrutinized.

Behaving badly has horrible consequences for the famous and rich, they are not allowed to be human sometimes.

I do not condone the bad behavior of either of these guys, I just think everyone deserves a second chance to make their wrongs right. What if my biggest mistake in my life was held against me forever with no chance to escape it? How sad.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Yes, one (little) bad thing can follow you a great while, especially if you're in the public eye. But on the other hand, I think those little flaws humanize the celebrity. We know they're not perfect, so to see them painted in the spotlight as perfect is unrealistic.

Just look at Wolverine. Dude had his problems, but X-Fans loved him, right? Why did they love him? Because they could relate to him. Nobody can relate to polished and perfect people/ characters. Nobody can empathize with them.

Everybody makes those one-time mistakes that follow us (In my case, it's like every time I turn around ha.) It's how we rectify the situation and carry on with that weight that defines a person.

Now, there are some acts that we just don't condone. This is usually defined on a personal, familial, or cultural level. Not everybody is so forgiving on things like adultery, drug abuse, embezzlement etc.

(BTW, I hear that Leafs fans cheer for the Jays during games. Is that true?
)

edit on 28-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

it's sad that a GREAT career was tainted by one small incident but that happens. Think about it.

How about Brett Favre?

Set records for every single important category. Most TDs ever, most WINS, most consecutive starts, the list goes on.

But sent one dick pic and otherwise acted like someone who set every record known to man, and now his reputation is tainted.
The only thing I hold against him is that he went to the Vikings. He's still a freakin legend.
edit on 28-4-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

He defended himself by saying Hirschbeck had uttered a racial slur and that Hirschbeck had been bitter since one son had died of ALD and another had been recently diagnosed as well.

Umm... is it not possible that he was right? I'm JustSayin'

If Hirschbeck didn't want his private life to be exposed maybe he shouldn't be on the field at a MLB game uttering racial slurs. It's the public arena and if you want to play ball, you better make the right calls. You make the wrong move, and you may be removed from the stage for a while.

Granted, it was a low blow and not the most appropriate move. Well, that's how some people react, especially considering the entire notion of being the target of racial slurs, something this person might just have a history of dealing with and doesn't expect to deal with it coming from an official while working ones @#% off to even be there.

If the claims are true and racial slurs were uttered, that should be the quickest firing in the history of business. Spit on him? If I were the GM, I would have told my team to not leave the bench until Hirschbeck was removed from the game.

One bad thing shouldn't plague anybodies entire life, forgiveness is key, yada yada yada. Just be prepared for the ramifications and if you destroy your image by being a jackwagon. Well, once you do this, you better start working damn hard to repair the damage sincerely. Look at Vick, that dude basically tortured animals, went to prison, and now plays in the NFL again. Everything takes time and if you take the time to rebuild, there's really nothing that can't be overcome.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

it's sad that a GREAT career was tainted by one small incident but that happens. Think about it.

How about Brett Favre?

Set records for every single important category. Most TDs ever, most WINS, most consecutive starts, the list goes on.

But sent one dick pic and otherwise acted like someone who set every record known to man, and now his reputation is tainted.
The only thing I hold against him is that he went to the Vikings. He's still a freakin legend.
edit on 28-4-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

That's hilarious! One of the only things I respected about Favre is him going to the Vikings! He should have been there a year earlier if you ask me. I also respect his ability to play through injuries and make it seem as if he's indestructible.

BTW, the Vikings are going to DOMINATE the NFC North! 5 first rounders in 2 years, AP, finally some receivers and Webb actually being utilized. It's fun living in Wisconsin during NFL season and being a Vikings fan, that's for sure!

How about the Saints?

New Orleans Saints players and at least one assistant coach maintained a bounty program the last three seasons for inflicting game-ending injuries on opposing players, including Brett Favre and Kurt Warner — a pool that reached as much as $50,000 and paid specific amounts for ''cart-offs'' and ''knockouts,'' the NFL said Friday.

msn.foxsports.com...

Every player that participated, the entire coaching staff, and all the owners are to blame for this one. For me, I think it's going to be a while before I could ever just forgive such antics. They should have all been suspended for half a season with out pay, and forfeit their first 8 games the following season.

Then there's always Ray Lewis and his involvement in the murder of two people. Although that's not nearly as black and white as one would think. I still think he's a piece of trash that mentions God every chance he gets to try and paint an image. Maybe he is that much of a religious person, but for some reason it comes off as a stunt to me.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

You are what you do. BUT does one bad thing affect you?

Sure it'll affect you for as long as people remember what you did. Even on ATS I've seen people make comments that stick to them like glue.
I myself have made comments that others found distasteful and will remember me for it. I even made a respectable foe doing so once.

We are constantly being judged by our peers and there is no way around that.

I think it affects you only as long as you allow it to. For example, look at SC ex governor Mark Sanford. He was caught in 2009 having an affair while using tax payer money to fund the trip to Argentina to visit her. Did that stop him from running for congress this year?

When asked what he would say to voters troubled by what he did in 2009 his response was...

You have to, in essence, look under the hood. There’s a larger philosophical question. In life we’re all going to make mistakes, we’re all going to come up short. The key is, how do you get back up and how do you learn from those mistakes? . . . But I think that the bigger issue is, don’t judge any one person by their best day, don’t judge them by their worst day. Look at the totality, the whole of their life, and make judgments accordingly.

Whether you agree or not with what he did, I personally do not, he does have a point about being judged by the totality of our lives and not by just one ignorant moment because God knows we all have them.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

What is amazing to me is how one mistake can ruin someone's career and another can make numerous mistakes that are overlooked time and time again- especially when it comes to those in the music and movie business. The public is fickle!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

The Captain used to tell me that we were only ever as good as our last job,

though our mistakes are always more memorable.

No matter how much praise one gets,

People always remember scandal.

A reputation takes a lifetime to build up,

but can be destroyed in an instant.

Tfw.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I felt the same way about Mike Tyson. He raped a woman, but I always thought of him as a little mentally challenged/damaged somehow. I was able to separate the crime from the man's incredible fighting talent.

And then he trashed his boxing career by biting off Holyfield's ear.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It happens all too often that a brilliant and shining career is blighted by passion. Without that same passion said person would not be so brilliant but it's hard to keep it in check.
Just look at my ATS carreer

Just my 2 cents

Cody

new topics

top topics

join